Speculation: 2021-22 Kraken Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
How much would you guys want for Driedger in a trade, assuming the NMC is waived?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
How much would you guys want for Driedger in a trade, assuming the NMC is waived?

As a fan of both teams, a 3rd or later would not interest Seattle enough to move Driedger.

I think something along the lines of one of R.Johnson/Asplund/2nd would be the ask from Seattle that might be acceptable from Buffalo's standpoint.

Johnson would be a great pickup for Seattle, but I don't think he is signing a deal, I think his plan is to go to LA, so that is a gamble that might turn into a late 2nd.(I believe he would be eligible for a compensatory pick if he refuses to sign).

Asplund would hurt to lose on Buffalo's side, but his game is somewhat redundant with Gus right now, and while he brings solid D, he's not maximizing the production of the rest of Buffalo's young forwards.

The 2nd (41st) overall might be the highest value asset of the three right now, and from a Sabres perspective, I would probably try to avoid moving it, given their current team make-up, and likely need for high-end ELCs in 3-4 years.

Given cost, Driedger is not my first choice for addressing the goalie issue in Buffalo, but he might be a decent solution, although he does comes with some consistency risk.

Reactions: jc17

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Reading between the lines here, I think it should probably say, "Teams are eager to learn if Francis will have cap space for sale"

I'm also thinking they are wondering who he is going to try and deal to make more cap room as well... you know.. with those draft picks.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Reading between the lines here, I think it should probably say, "Teams are eager to learn if Francis will have cap space for sale"

You could go in every direction with this, if you wanted to.

To me it sounds like scoring wingers, and their agents, are looking at Francis(after what he said) and are hoping for a raise and for Francis to go above market value to get a scorer.

Let's hope Francis doesn't go crazy on anyone, unless it's an actual game changer.

BTW: Looking at the forward group it will be interesting who Francis will bring in.

So far, to me, it looks like this.

-Schwartz----Beniers----Eberle-

-McCann----Wennberg---X----

-----X-----Gourde-----Kuhlman-

-Tanev----Geekie----Donskoi-

You could play Tanev on Gourde's line and find a cheap bottom six guy that works hard and plays on the 4th line.
Or you could go and try to get someone like Vatrano(yeah, I know) to play on Gourde's line and have Tanev or Kuhlman on the 4th line.

As for the top six.
I personally wouldn't mind spending some money on Vinny Trochek as he can play either wing or center.

So maybe something like this?

-Schwartz------Beniers-----Eberle-

-McCann-----Wennberg----Trochek-

-Vatrano------Gourde-----Kuhlman-

-Tanev-------Geekie------Donskoi-

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
You could go in every direction with this, if you wanted to.

To me it sounds like scoring wingers, and their agents, are looking at Francis(after what he said) and are hoping for a raise and for Francis to go above market value to get a scorer.

Let's hope Francis doesn't go crazy on anyone, unless it's an actual game changer.

BTW: Looking at the forward group it will be interesting who Francis will bring in.

So far, to me, it looks like this.

-Schwartz----Beniers----Eberle-

-McCann----Wennberg---X----

-----X-----Gourde-----Kuhlman-

-Tanev----Geekie----Donskoi-

You could play Tanev on Gourde's line and find a cheap bottom six guy that works hard and plays on the 4th line.
Or you could go and try to get someone like Vatrano(yeah, I know) to play on Gourde's line and have Tanev or Kuhlman on the 4th line.

As for the top six.
I personally wouldn't mind spending some money on Vinny Trochek as he can play either wing or center.

So maybe something like this?

-Schwartz------Beniers-----Eberle-

-McCann-----Wennberg----Trochek-

-Vatrano------Gourde-----Kuhlman-

-Tanev-------Geekie------Donskoi-

You're probably right in that the read on this entire line of thinking is born from GM's talking with Agents. It makes sense. A GM approaches an agent about a player... Agent says "Look, we're waiting to see what Seattle is going to do before agreeing to anything." Great move really. Seattle has cap space, open communication about needs, no state tax, a chance for a big pay day for an agent and player. Yeah... Nice position to be in, honestly. It's almost like "look, we're going to let Seattle decide the market". SMART.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I wouldn't fire Hakstol yet. Looks too much like a panic move and sends the absolute wrong message to prospective hires.

I agree. The key with his season is that he didn't lose the players and they definitely improved late in the season despite losing some serious talent. He's definitely frustrating as a fan, but he doesn't seem to be a lost cause. Gotta keep the leash short though.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I wouldn't fire Hakstol yet. Looks too much like a panic move and sends the absolute wrong message to prospective hires.
Hakstol is a tough decision for me.

I absolutely do not like him as a head coach, but I do like the way he gives the players a little bit of freedom to play their game - I think that is good for younger players to develop vs being under a smothering system that stifles creativity.

At the same time, I HATE the Hakstol line blender that removes any consistency from the development equation for the young guys.

In the end, Hakstol's wide open hockey is pretty entertaining, and almost guarantees a team with the talent level Seattle has will be picking top 5, which is ultimately good for the build.

That said, I hope he is promoted next season to "Assistant to the General Manager in charge of office supplies", and that Francis brings in a coach that is a little bit more astute.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Hakstol is a tough decision for me.

I absolutely do not like him as a head coach, but I do like the way he gives the players a little bit of freedom to play their game - I think that is good for younger players to develop vs being under a smothering system that stifles creativity.

At the same time, I HATE the Hakstol line blender that removes any consistency from the development equation for the young guys.

In the end, Hakstol's wide open hockey is pretty entertaining, and almost guarantees a team with the talent level Seattle has will be picking top 5, which is ultimately good for the build.

That said, I hope he is promoted next season to "Assistant to the General Manager in charge of office supplies", and that Francis brings in a coach that is a little bit more astute.

I laughed pretty damn hard at your last sentence. Props.

I could see Hakstol being in the office though. He’s got a mind for the game, no question.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I laughed pretty damn hard at your last sentence. Props.

I could see Hakstol being in the office though. He’s got a mind for the game, no question.
;)

I honestly don't think it is fair to fire Hakstol.

He was hired based on his way of coaching in international tournaments where he worked with Francis. Francis knew what he was getting, and gave him a team that was not really geared to succeed given the circumstances.

But i do like the idea of letting him run the ship (aground) for another year, then move him into the front office if he wants that position, and bringing in a coach that will take the team in a different direction.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
;)

I honestly don't think it is fair to fire Hakstol.

He was hired based on his way of coaching in international tournaments where he worked with Francis. Francis knew what he was getting, and gave him a team that was not really geared to succeed given the circumstances.

But i do like the idea of letting him run the ship (aground) for another year, then move him into the front office if he wants that position, and bringing in a coach that will take the team in a different direction.

Aground. Lmfao.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
For anyone who thinks the Kraken should go and sign someone to an offer sheet.

$4,201,488 is the highest we could go without taking a risk of losing a first round pick.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
6'2 23 year old, scored 41 goals in 50 games... It was in the Slovakian league, which is probably closer to scoring 25 in the AHL, but still, for a team without many prospects, adding a player like this to Coachella should help. I like it.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
6'2 23 year old, scored 41 goals in 50 games... It was in the Slovakian league, which is probably closer to scoring 25 in the AHL, but still, for a team without many prospects, adding a player like this to Coachella should help. I like it.

Yeah, Francis will have to sign a lot of players this offseason to fill out that Firebirds roster.

And you never know, one or two of them might even turn out to be helpful with the Kraken.

BTW: Should also have Robert Kron's(Kraken head of scouting) name all over it, who's from Czechia and knows this region.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
As someone that has watched lot of Bucek's games in the Slovak league, his main issue of not being drafted was lack of speed and two-way play. He has since improved significantly on this to a degree where that can probably be at NHL average. His shot and hands are excellent. He could potentially be a good bottom 6 forward.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad