2021-22 ECHL Schedule

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Teams have started to release home opener dates for the upcoming 2021-22 ECHL season. Here’s what we know so far:
Season starts Friday October 22 and ends Sunday April 17, 2022.
Maine home opener is 10/22 vs Worcester
Norfolk home opener is 10/22 vs Reading
Adirondack home opener is 10/23 vs Newfoundland
Reading home opener is 10/23 vs Norfolk
Jacksonville home opener is 11/6 vs South Carolina.
Just something I found interesting, every team in the north except Trois-Rivières has had a game scheduled to play. Assuming they’re waiting for their name/logo reveal to announce anything like that. I imagine that releasing dates this early is just a way to show advertisers that they are intending to play as well as keep fans invested over the long break.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I imagine that releasing dates this early is just a way to show advertisers that they are intending to play as well as keep fans invested over the long break.
Far more the former than the latter. Potential sponsors need to know now (at the latest) where & when their advertising dollars can be spent to yield revenues. Fans of the paused teams are either already convinced to invest in their team for 2021-22, or will take a LOT more convincing than the hollow promise of a game to attend 7-8 months from now.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Teams have started to release home opener dates for the upcoming 2021-22 ECHL season. Here’s what we know so far:
Just something I found interesting, every team in the north except Trois-Rivières has had a game scheduled to play. Assuming they’re waiting for their name/logo reveal to announce anything like that. I imagine that releasing dates this early is just a way to show advertisers that they are intending to play as well as keep fans invested over the long break.
the difference between a full season like 2017/18 and currently for 2021/22 IS the timeframe from the league itself has to when the next season starts and ends.... would be typically in the 2nd Round of the Kelly Cup playoffs, in early May.... things have become accelerated the last couple of years.... Brampton's collapse wouldn't be fast-tracked in January if you held to the premise that all those 14 teams hadn't opted out....

how does a league, like the ECHL determine the next master schedule when it's up to those member clubs, and the states themselves, as we've seen in 2021 had the ultimate say on what the fan limits are, if there were to be fan attendance, or a limited attendance, as you're starting to see rolled out team by team, and league by league.

the AHL did that scheduling 4-5 years ahead of the actual season timeframe.

I know if member clubs were on the brink of collapse.... it would be done by May... to allow a change of territory/relocation of a member club.... as Portland did in 1991, and 2015.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Far more the former than the latter. Potential sponsors need to know now (at the latest) where & when their advertising dollars can be spent to yield revenues. Fans of the paused teams are either already convinced to invest in their team for 2021-22, or will take a LOT more convincing than the hollow promise of a game to attend 7-8 months from now.
With the second round of PPP funding available, teams are likely getting their sales staff back to work. Restrictions are starting to be loosened on attendance at NHL and AHL games, and in a normal year teams would be working to sell season tickets for next season already. If I were a team owner I would at least have my staff calling anyone who didn't renew, and then group leaders and single game sales from the last couple years to talk to them about season tickets for 2021. You may not get sales right away, but the longer you go without reaching out, the harder it gets. There are rumors already that STHs will have preference to get tickets if attendance is limited for next season, so an extra selling point for anyone who wants to go to games. The Royals are running a "dollar down" promotion, where you can make a one dollar deposit to hold your season tickets and pay later. I'm sure there are fans who will wait until the season actually starts, and there are fans like me who actually paid off their 21-22 tickets already, but I'm sure there are at least some fans who are somewhere in between, who would make a decision to buy with a little prodding.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

Worcester will be announcing their home opener and opponent soon...I asked, and no definition as to what "soon" meant was offered.

Reactions: JMCx4 and Atlantian

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Looking ahead at 21-22, would it be possible that Newfoundland and TR have to delay or even opt out of the season? The border is still very heavily controlled. Nova Scotia just declared a new two week lockdown. Ontario has had repeated lockdowns and increased cases (i know they do not play in these provinces, these are the ones I know about). So, as of right now, the teams would only be allowed to play each other or solely on the road. Obviously, a lot can change in 6 months, but the way things are going now, especially with the delayed vaccine rollout in Canada, I see it as a very real possibility. Even arenas in Cali are allowing some fans to attend. So, not only would there be zero fans in attendance, but the provinces are on active lockdown. I am sure this is part of the reason we have not heard anything from TR recently, including a start date.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Looking ahead at 21-22, would it be possible that Newfoundland and TR have to delay or even opt out of the season? The border is still very heavily controlled. Nova Scotia just declared a new two week lockdown. Ontario has had repeated lockdowns and increased cases (i know they do not play in these provinces, these are the ones I know about). ...
Current entry travel restrictions for Newfoundland & Labrador, and for Quebec. They change frequently, so it's too early to speculate intelligently about 2021-22 play for the Growlers & the Trois-Rivières team.

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
Looking ahead at 21-22, would it be possible that Newfoundland and TR have to delay or even opt out of the season? The border is still very heavily controlled. Nova Scotia just declared a new two week lockdown. Ontario has had repeated lockdowns and increased cases (i know they do not play in these provinces, these are the ones I know about). So, as of right now, the teams would only be allowed to play each other or solely on the road. Obviously, a lot can change in 6 months, but the way things are going now, especially with the delayed vaccine rollout in Canada, I see it as a very real possibility. Even arenas in Cali are allowing some fans to attend. So, not only would there be zero fans in attendance, but the provinces are on active lockdown. I am sure this is part of the reason we have not heard anything from TR recently, including a start date.

Everyone "Should" be fully vaccinated here by sometime in September. So my guess is the Growlers start the season on the road for a more delayed home opener. I don't think we will be at 100% capacity this year at Mile One, but I do think they will allow fans. But like you said, A lot can change in 6 months. So hopefully they have a Plan B, C & D.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Everyone "Should" be fully vaccinated here by sometime in September. So my guess is the Growlers start the season on the road for a more delayed home opener. I don't think we will be at 100% capacity this year at Mile One, but I do think they will allow fans. But like you said, A lot can change in 6 months. So hopefully they have a Plan B, C & D.
Pennsylvania, which has been on the more restrictive end of the spectrum about Covid, recently announced that after May 30th, all restriction will be discontinued with the exception of mask wearing in public places. The mask mandate will end once a vaccination target is reached. I think that was 80%? Our local baseball team already announced they are opening up to 100% capacity for games after that date. I assume the Royals will be at 100% as long is there isn't a huge increase in cases over the summer.

It will be interesting to see how the Canadian government reacts to the US opening back up. Will they do the same once the vaccine is widely available and ease the travel restrictions, or will they see the US dropping precautions as risky, and a reason to tighten the border crossings?

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
ECHL releases 2021-22 schedule
ECHL News
23 hours ago (May 11, 2021)

League’s 34th Season opens on Thursday, Oct. 21

The ECHL announced on Tuesday that the 2021-22 season will begin with one game on Thursday, Oct. 21 before continuing with seven games on Friday, Oct. 22, 13 games on Saturday, Oct. 23 and two games on Sunday, Oct. 24.

Began in 1988-89 with five teams in four states, the ECHL has grown into a coast-to-coast league that will have 27 teams in 20 states and two Canadian provinces playing 972 games from Oct. 21, 2021 to April 17, 2022. ...

Download the 2021-22 ECHL schedule

Download Team-by-Team schedules

Twelve teams open their home schedules on Saturday, Oct. 23 as Adirondack entertains Newfoundland, Allen welcomes Wichita, Florida hosts Jacksonville, Fort Wayne takes on Wheeling, Indy entertains Cincinnati, Kansas City welcomes Iowa, Kalamazoo meets Toledo, Orlando hosts Atlanta, Reading meets Norfolk, South Carolina takes on Greenville, Utah entertains Idaho and Worcester welcomes Maine.

Friday, Oct. 29 sees three teams host their first home game of the season with Atlanta welcoming Orlando, Greenville hosting Jacksonville and Tulsa entertaining Allen while on Saturday, Oct. 30, Cincinnati opens its home schedule against Indy.

On Friday, Nov. 5, Newfoundland opens play on home ice against Adirondack, while the final three home openers for the 2021-22 season are set for Saturday, Nov. 6 with Jacksonville taking on South Carolina, Toledo hosting Kalamazoo and Wheeling welcoming Fort Wayne. ...

Read more at: ECHL releases 2021-22 schedule

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I see that the Coralville franchise is being listed simply as "Iowa" in the Team-by-Team schedule. I guess my "Coralville IceCrushers" nomination has been rejected. :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad