2021-22 ECHL Schedule

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I see that the Coralville franchise is being listed simply as "Iowa" in the Team-by-Team schedule. I guess my "Coralville IceCrushers" nomination has been rejected. :(
same with calling Trois Rivieres 3R......as we've been referencing the last few months

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I took a quick look at the Royals schedule. There are a lot of back to backs and even three in three's vs the same team, and there seem to be streaks where the Royals play a few teams a lot for a few weeks, and then shift to playing another few teams very frequently for a few weeks. I'm not sure if that was done on purpose with Covid in mind, to reduce the potential for virus spread.

From 10/22 - 12/4 the Royals face Norfolk (5), TR (5), NFD (5), ADK (1), Maine (1)
12/10 - 1/17 it's ADK (6), Wor (11), Whg (1)
1/21-2/12 ADK (3), TR (5), Maine (1), NFD (3)
2/19-4/16 they play ten different teams between 1 and 5 times each, with fewer back backs. If covid is behind this, seems like the risk would be even lower at that stage of the season, so they started mixing up the opponents more.

Maybe it is just a quirk of the schedule, but seemed unusual to play Worcester 11 times over a five week period, and only face them once the rest of the season, when they are the second closest team to Reading, and to have those three ~six week periods where most of the games are against two or three teams, and finish the season with a more typical two months of various opponents. Anyone else notice a similar pattern with other teams?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I took a quick look at the Royals schedule. There are a lot of back to backs and even three in three's vs the same team, and there seem to be streaks where the Royals play a few teams a lot for a few weeks, and then shift to playing another few teams very frequently for a few weeks. I'm not sure if that was done on purpose with Covid in mind, to reduce the potential for virus spread. ...
If I were the League, I'd be anticipating another virus spike with the cold weather setting in & I'd expect the Northeastern teams' schedules to be affected the most based on previous state restrictions & historical winter weather conditions. Not sure how I'd structure the initial schedule for those conditions, but maybe clusters of games make it easier to shuffle dates around in the future? :dunno:

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I took a quick look at the Royals schedule. There are a lot of back to backs and even three in three's vs the same team, and there seem to be streaks where the Royals play a few teams a lot for a few weeks, and then shift to playing another few teams very frequently for a few weeks. I'm not sure if that was done on purpose with Covid in mind, to reduce the potential for virus spread.

From 10/22 - 12/4 the Royals face Norfolk (5), TR (5), NFD (5), ADK (1), Maine (1)
12/10 - 1/17 it's ADK (6), Wor (11), Whg (1)
1/21-2/12 ADK (3), TR (5), Maine (1), NFD (3)
2/19-4/16 they play ten different teams between 1 and 5 times each, with fewer back backs. If covid is behind this, seems like the risk would be even lower at that stage of the season, so they started mixing up the opponents more.

Maybe it is just a quirk of the schedule, but seemed unusual to play Worcester 11 times over a five week period, and only face them once the rest of the season, when they are the second closest team to Reading, and to have those three ~six week periods where most of the games are against two or three teams, and finish the season with a more typical two months of various opponents. Anyone else notice a similar pattern with other teams?

yup I think the North Division was like that..... wish we could get a clear answer to that question, Royals, hence the complaints no matter what if you watch these teams or at least follow them.... that is why the annoyance or complaint division starts.

Maine gets 2 vs SC in Portland in mid March as we did Utah before the suspension of play/halt to the current. season...

IT GETS annoying when you survey the fanbase who has said we want a better mix of teams but the ultimate choice is what the league decides....

T/R will be interesting for the Eastern teams but can they duplicate what Brampton did in that division, same with Iowa aka Coralville, out west from those in the West notably Kansas City/Independence.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
yup I think the North Division was like that..... wish we could get a clear answer to that question, Royals, hence the complaints no matter what if you watch these teams or at least follow them.... that is why the annoyance or complaint division starts.

Maine gets 2 vs SC in Portland in mid March as we did Utah before the suspension of play/halt to the current. season...

IT GETS annoying when you survey the fanbase who has said we want a better mix of teams but the ultimate choice is what the league decides....

T/R will be interesting for the Eastern teams but can they duplicate what Brampton did in that division, same with Iowa aka Coralville, out west from those in the West notably Kansas City/Independence.
I don't expect to see a large selection of out of division teams. I've had season tickets for 20 years, so I know the schedule will be 90%+ division games, with one or two non-division opponents (we get Norfolk, Wheeling, Toledo and Cincy this year, which is the four closest teams to Reading that aren't in our division). You realize "the league" is run by the board of governors, who are the team owners/presidents, right?. The schedule is that way because that is what the teams want.

I was commenting on the clustering of games vs division opponents. The extreme example from our schedule is not playing Worcester for the first six weeks at all. Playing them 11 times in the second six weeks, and then not playing them again until ten weeks later. If I were designing a schedule to reduce the chance of spreading a virus, that is one strategy I would employ. I'm just curious if it was done for that reason, or it is just me seeing patterns that aren't really there.

Reactions: Roadhog and JMCx4

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Just wait until Hutch finds out that there's actually only two rivers in Trois-Rivieres and starts Rosemonting the team as Deux-Rivieres.
3R also was the Draveurs......CC

what junior franchise did they become..... before Courteau wrecked the franchise..... Lewiston..... remember the Q team with the Wolves AGM Wendell Young

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't expect to see a large selection of out of division teams. I've had season tickets for 20 years, so I know the schedule will be 90%+ division games, with one or two non-division opponents (we get Norfolk, Wheeling, Toledo and Cincy this year, which is the four closest teams to Reading that aren't in our division). You realize "the league" is run by the board of governors, who are the team owners/presidents, right?. The schedule is that way because that is what the teams want.

I was commenting on the clustering of games vs division opponents. The extreme example from our schedule is not playing Worcester for the first six weeks at all. Playing them 11 times in the second six weeks, and then not playing them again until ten weeks later. If I were designing a schedule to reduce the chance of spreading a virus, that is one strategy I would employ. I'm just curious if it was done for that reason, or it is just me seeing patterns that aren't really there.
and that's the point I was getting at.... TBTH....

hence the annoying pattern where as fanbases, whether STH's or casual fans.... we were told to contact the team, who forwarded our concerns to the League which essentially ignored what the fanbase had requested the franchise to consider....

that's when fans start to revolt after a while of seeing the same set of opponents every year, rivalries or not....

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
and that's the point I was getting at.... TBTH....

hence the annoying pattern where as fanbases, whether STH's or casual fans.... we were told to contact the team, who forwarded our concerns to the League which essentially ignored what the fanbase had requested the franchise to consider....

that's when fans start to revolt after a while of seeing the same set of opponents every year, rivalries or not....
My advice would be to either accept that's the way it is, or find something else to occupy your time. The finances of the league just don't allow for that kind of travel. Some teams with better income will take a long road trip every year, or every couple years, where they are on the road for 2-3 weeks to visit a few out of division teams. Those teams also typically get reciprocal home games vs the other teams that can afford to travel. The best you can hope for from that is to see 2-3 unfamiliar teams come in for a game or two per year. If your team isn't making a swing through the south or midwest every year or two, the other teams aren't going to go out of the way to trek all the way to Maine.

It's also somewhat geography dependent too. So a team like Norfolk might get a wider variety just because they are near the border of two divisions and it is easier to stop there on the way to somewhere else. Maine is at a disadvantage because they are not "on the way" to anywhere. Reading had the same issue for a couple years after Trenton and Johnstown left and before Adirondack, Worcester, Maine, Norfolk, Brampton, etc came in.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Just wait until Hutch finds out that there's actually only two rivers in Trois-Rivieres and starts Rosemonting the team as Deux-Rivieres.

Yes much like he stated in a comment in here about how the AHL schedule is planned out 4-5 years in advance...LOL EVERYONE minus him apparently knows that the AHL Board of Governors meet at the All Star game and discuss the up coming years schedule by telling the league who they do or dont want to play and then in the spring/summer the teams approve the schedule for the upcoming season and then it gets announced. So they do their schedule 1 year at a time not 4-5. if that were the case then they AHL knew back in 2016 that Utica would be changing teams and Binghamton would be leaving.

Reactions: Captain Crash

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
3R also was the Draveurs......CC

what junior franchise did they become..... before Courteau wrecked the franchise..... Lewiston..... remember the Q team with the Wolves AGM Wendell Young

What is an AGM? Awesome General Manager? Average General Manager? Appointed General Manager? Wendell Young is the General Manager of the Wolves and has been for YEARS. The Assistant General Manager is a gentleman by the name of Bill Bentley...

Reactions: wildcat48

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
My advice would be to either accept that's the way it is, or find something else to occupy your time. The finances of the league just don't allow for that kind of travel. Some teams with better income will take a long road trip every year, or every couple years, where they are on the road for 2-3 weeks to visit a few out of division teams. Those teams also typically get reciprocal home games vs the other teams that can afford to travel. The best you can hope for from that is to see 2-3 unfamiliar teams come in for a game or two per year. If your team isn't making a swing through the south or midwest every year or two, the other teams aren't going to go out of the way to trek all the way to Maine.

It's also somewhat geography dependent too. So a team like Norfolk might get a wider variety just because they are near the border of two divisions and it is easier to stop there on the way to somewhere else. Maine is at a disadvantage because they are not "on the way" to anywhere. Reading had the same issue for a couple years after Trenton and Johnstown left and before Adirondack, Worcester, Maine, Norfolk, Brampton, etc came in.
what are you talking about, Royals:

the above scenario is what turned the markets and their fanbases against the AHL, even the existing markets that came in over 20 years ago once the established markets told them this is how the League operates.....

since when is Maine at a disadvantage.... the entire league is then at a disadvantage.....

when does Reading play every team out West, or have they on a consistent basis every season, regardless of what or whom operates the franchises...

that's the disadvantage then if the ECHL follows the AHL model......which is not what we signed up for, because it was consistently the same teams, every year.... that's not limited to us, that's every AHL Market that's transitioned.

no matter who the affiliate was.... the polls were the same.... fanbase stopped showing up and/or walked away from Providence/Hartford/Springfield after 15 or 16 games.... much like Providence dealing with Bridgeport and Hartford this past season...

do you think if you polled every fanbase they'd like to see all teams play everybody.... in fact, Kansas City is 4-5 hours from Coralville.... but they have never been on a Eastern trek.... much like how we went to Utah in 2019..... that's why it became annoying, when you consistently told the franchise mix the teams up more, not just the same geography distinction argument gets old real fast, and real quick....

the true independent ownerships of the ECHL are starting to become endangered the trend that the AHL Has already destroyed because of their unwillingness to adapt or even pivot....

much like the insistence that all NHL Teams were required to be affiliated even though 17 pro teams between the AHL/ECHL were granted an opt out

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
what are you talking about, Royals:

the above scenario is what turned the markets and their fanbases against the AHL, even the existing markets that came in over 20 years ago once the established markets told them this is how the League operates.....

since when is Maine at a disadvantage.... the entire league is then at a disadvantage.....

when does Reading play every team out West, or have they on a consistent basis every season, regardless of what or whom operates the franchises...

that's the disadvantage then if the ECHL follows the AHL model......which is not what we signed up for, because it was consistently the same teams, every year.... that's not limited to us, that's every AHL Market that's transitioned.

no matter who the affiliate was.... the polls were the same.... fanbase stopped showing up and/or walked away from Providence/Hartford/Springfield after 15 or 16 games.... much like Providence dealing with Bridgeport and Hartford this past season...

do you think if you polled every fanbase they'd like to see all teams play everybody.... in fact, Kansas City is 4-5 hours from Coralville.... but they have never been on a Eastern trek.... much like how we went to Utah in 2019..... that's why it became annoying, when you consistently told the franchise mix the teams up more, not just the same geography distinction argument gets old real fast, and real quick....

the true independent ownerships of the ECHL are starting to become endangered the trend that the AHL Has already destroyed because of their unwillingness to adapt or even pivot....

much like the insistence that all NHL Teams were required to be affiliated even though 17 pro teams between the AHL/ECHL were granted an opt out
I'm saying Maine is at a disadvantage for seeing out of division teams because of geography. Other teams have that disadvantage also, including a lot of the western teams, the Canadian teams, and others. Places like Norfolk, Atlanta, and others, have a slight advantage in that they are "on the way" for other teams making a road trip to somewhere else.

I never said Reading plays every team out west. The Royals do generally make at least one long out of division trip every season though, and as a result they tend to get one or two out of division teams scheduled to come to Reading each season.

I can't imagine anyone promised the fans in Portland, or any other ECHL team, that you were going to see a large variety of teams every year. If they did, I'm sorry - but they lied.

If you want to see a lot more out of division teams in your arena every year, then the Mariners are going to have to make a lot more long road trips to other cities, and in order to do that they are going to have to spend money. Is every Portland fan also prepared to pay much higher ticket prices? Are you also willing to go to more weeknight games and less Friday/Saturday games? Will you be understanding of the lower quality of play that results when players spend many more hours on the bus, and have much less time to practice?

I think if you polled the fans they would all prefer to see a more diverse mix of teams. If you also polled the fans about the issues I just mentioned, they probably wouldn't be willing to make those tradeoffs.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm saying Maine is at a disadvantage for seeing out of division teams because of geography. Other teams have that disadvantage also, including a lot of the western teams, the Canadian teams, and others. Places like Norfolk, Atlanta, and others, have a slight advantage in that they are "on the way" for other teams making a road trip to somewhere else.

I never said Reading plays every team out west. The Royals do generally make at least one long out of division trip every season though, and as a result they tend to get one or two out of division teams scheduled to come to Reading each season.

I can't imagine anyone promised the fans in Portland, or any other ECHL team, that you were going to see a large variety of teams every year. If they did, I'm sorry - but they lied.

If you want to see a lot more out of division teams in your arena every year, then the Mariners are going to have to make a lot more long road trips to other cities, and in order to do that they are going to have to spend money. Is every Portland fan also prepared to pay much higher ticket prices? Are you also willing to go to more weeknight games and less Friday/Saturday games? Will you be understanding of the lower quality of play that results when players spend many more hours on the bus, and have much less time to practice?

I think if you polled the fans they would all prefer to see a more diverse mix of teams. If you also polled the fans about the issues I just mentioned, they probably wouldn't be willing to make those tradeoffs.
you're wrong, again, here's why:

Who owns the franchise since 2018, Royals, here in Portland, the excuse o meter about Portland was done to that fanbase every year since 2001;

I guess you forgot the trip to Utah in 2019 before the Pandemic set in..... Portland's fanbase got tired of the same set of teams..... same for Adirondack, Worcester, and Newfoundland once they joined.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
you're wrong, again, here's why:

Who owns the franchise since 2018, Royals, here in Portland, the excuse o meter about Portland was done to that fanbase every year since 2001;

I guess you forgot the trip to Utah in 2019 before the Pandemic set in..... Portland's fanbase got tired of the same set of teams..... same for Adirondack, Worcester, and Newfoundland once they joined.
I don't see where I'm wrong. Yes, there are lots of fans who would like to see a greater variety of teams. Heck, I'm one of them. No one is against seeing a wider variety of teams. It just isn't going to happen, due to all the reasons I've already explained. I'm sorry if your ownership has lied and told you differently. Ours has at least been honest about why the schedule is the way it is.

I didn't ever say that the Mariners have never made a long road trip. I simply said that on the whole, teams who do that more, tend to get more visits from different teams, but geography also plays in to it.

By the way. the Royals have played in Idaho, Utah, Las Vegas, Stockton, Long Beach, Allen, Rapid City, K-Zoo, Evansville, Toledo, Cincy, Wheeling, Chicago (Hoffman Estates), Quad City, Dayton, Peoria, Indy, SC, Beaumont, Baton Rouge, Pensacola, Biloxi, Jackson, Columbia, Estero, Lafayette, Atlanta, Norfolk, Augusta, Columbus (GA), Macon, Roanoke, Richmond, Charlotte, Lexington, Atlantic City, Greenville, Greensboro, Florence, Jacksonville, Orlando, Trenton, Johnstown, Elmira, Manchester, and the entire current north division (and maybe one or two I've forgotten). I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but I figured you would appreciate the historical non-sequitor.

Reactions: Captain Crash

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't see where I'm wrong. Yes, there are lots of fans who would like to see a greater variety of teams. Heck, I'm one of them. No one is against seeing a wider variety of teams. It just isn't going to happen, due to all the reasons I've already explained. I'm sorry if your ownership has lied and told you differently. Ours has at least been honest about why the schedule is the way it is.

I didn't ever say that the Mariners have never made a long road trip. I simply said that on the whole, teams who do that more, tend to get more visits from different teams, but geography also plays in to it.

By the way. the Royals have played in Idaho, Utah, Las Vegas, Stockton, Long Beach, Allen, Rapid City, K-Zoo, Evansville, Toledo, Cincy, Wheeling, Chicago (Hoffman Estates), Quad City, Dayton, Peoria, Indy, SC, Beaumont, Baton Rouge, Pensacola, Biloxi, Jackson, Columbia, Estero, Lafayette, Atlanta, Norfolk, Augusta, Columbus (GA), Macon, Roanoke, Richmond, Charlotte, Lexington, Atlantic City, Greenville, Greensboro, Florence, Jacksonville, Orlando, Trenton, Johnstown, Elmira, Manchester, and the entire current north division (and maybe one or two I've forgotten). I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but I figured you would appreciate the historical non-sequitor.
DON'T CARE but you've seen to become the expert on the ECHL, lately, Royals.....

Where were you when the same markets constantly asked the AHL to mix the teams up..... only to find out they lied to all the fanbases no matter the market.....

Crelin better smarten up otherwise the ECHL will be going down the same road as the AHL, and you won't be liking it when 2/3rds of the league is owned by the NHL affiliates and the schedule is dictated without any input from the fanbases and the Royals will be transferred to another market for 25 Million
l

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
DON'T CARE but you've seen to become the expert on the ECHL, lately, Royals.....
OK - you seem to think you are quite the expert on everything from what I've seen

Where were you when the same markets constantly asked the AHL to mix the teams up..... only to find out they lied to all the fanbases no matter the market.....
Right here in Reading (well, actually West Lawn - I don't live in the city itself)

Crelin better smarten up otherwise the ECHL will be going down the same road as the AHL, and you won't be liking it when 2/3rds of the league is owned by the NHL affiliates and the schedule is dictated without any input from the fanbases
Being owned by an NHL teams has it's plusses and minuses. You seem to forget the Royals were owned by the Kings for a number of years. The schedule has always been made without input from the fans. The teams direct the league employees how they want the schedule made, and they have the opportunity to request changes after the first draft. I'd rather have a team that faces 8-10 different opponents each year than to not have a team at all.
and the Royals will be transferred to another market for 25 Million
You are correct - I wouldn't like that. Although the arena authority could do a lot with $25 million, and some of it would likely go toward bringing in another sports team - maybe SPHL, maybe indoor lacrosse or arena football. Anything is possible in a world where ECHL teams are selling for that price.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine

You're not wrong.... Save your sanity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad