Speculation: 2021-21 LA Kings News, Rumors, Roster discussion part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Matta has deadline trade written all over him.

It would have been nice getting something for Clague, but it wouldn't have been much. He's been improving and I would have liked to see what he will become, but he was a late-bloomer and ran out of runway I guess.

My Prediction:

Clague goes 5 goals 16 assists 21 pts and +2 the rest of the way for Les Habs. Double Anderson's and Bjornfot's numbers.

My only other prediction was a week before the season: Brown 9 goals 16 assists. I may have been a little optimistic.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
My Prediction:

Clague goes 5 goals 16 assists 21 pts and +2 the rest of the way for Les Habs. Double Anderson's and Bjornfot's numbers.

My only other prediction was a week before the season: Brown 9 goals 16 assists. I may have been a little optimistic.
I’m thinking he goes over those totals considering they play a much more open, offensive game. Maybe 4g, 25a, 29pts

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So basically the young guys that aren't ready for those spots should get them?

If you're of the opinion that the young guys should learn on the NHL job, then yes.

Arvidsson is signed for three years and AA is signed for one. Neither of them is blocking Kaliyev.

But when you add them up with Iafallo and Kempe, and maybe even Brown, then yes, there are no spots for Kaliyev in the top 6.

Let him cut his teeth playing third line minutes and learn to play in the NHL and let him force those guys down the line up.

That doesn't usually happen. Not in the cap world anyway. You have to specifically open up a spot for a young guy by not having a vet there. With Brown and AA being UFAs at the end of the year, that should open up a couple spots for young guys next year. Unless they bring in more vets.

Danault can be slotted down as one of the younger guys show they're ready to handle second line minutes successfully.

Chicken or egg. Can you show you can handle 2nd line minutes, without getting 2nd line minutes?

He was brought in to take the defensive pressure of Kopitar and free him up.

Except that hasn't really happened. That's a coach thing though, not a big picture GM thing. Kopitar is currently averaging 18 more seconds per game than last year. Less time on the PK, however, he's still 1st on the team in PK time this year. Danault is a very close 2nd, so he's doing what he was brought in to do, just not really at the expense of Kopitar.

Lizotte plays a different style game than either JAD or Turcotte and he's only signed for one year. Do you honestly expect JAD or Turcotte to fill those roles?

JAD is 22. He probably should be in the lineup by now, but, when Kopitar is still there, and you add Danault, and bring back Lizotte on a 1 way deal, there's only 1 spot left. A couple young guys have been put in that spot this year, just not JAD. Turcotte, I don't know, but JAD has played 43 games, and more(all) in the NHL than AHL last year, which tends to mean a guy will be on the team the following season. So in JAD's case, it was a little surprising they pushed him off the roster with the moves they made.

Reactions: Schmooley

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
So basically the young guys that aren't ready for those spots should get them? Arvidsson is signed for three years and AA is signed for one. Neither of them is blocking Kaliyev. Let him cut his teeth playing third line minutes and learn to play in the NHL and let him force those guys down the line up. Danault can be slotted down as one of the younger guys show they're ready to handle second line minutes successfully. He was brought in to take the defensive pressure of Kopitar and free him up. Lizotte plays a different style game than either JAD or Turcotte and he's only signed for one year. Do you honestly expect JAD or Turcotte to fill those roles?

The Kings locked in a defensive forward who is about to be 29 at 5.5 million for the next 6 seasons to free up Kopitar and do what exactly? Kopitar is 7th among forwards in TOI/GP right now and the team is quickly falling out of the playoff hunt. Maybe they put it together for a brief run, but do we think this team will be a serious contender any time soon? The big concern is that the Kings have locked in a number of aging forwards to large cap hits and they have yet to transition any prospects.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
The Kings locked in a defensive forward who is about to be 29 at 5.5 million for the next 6 seasons to free up Kopitar and do what exactly? Kopitar is 7th among forwards in TOI/GP right now and the team is quickly falling out of the playoff hunt. Maybe they put it together for a brief run, but do we think this team will be a serious contender any time soon? The big concern is that the Kings have locked in a number of aging forwards to large cap hits and they have yet to transition any prospects.
Arvidsson Kopitar ****
Iaffalo Danault Kempe
**** Byfield ****
Lemieux JAD ****

plenty of spots up for grabs next year.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
If you're of the opinion that the young guys should learn on the NHL job, then yes.

But when you add them up with Iafallo and Kempe, and maybe even Brown, then yes, there are no spots for Kaliyev in the top 6.

That doesn't usually happen. Not in the cap world anyway. You have to specifically open up a spot for a young guy by not having a vet there. With Brown and AA being UFAs at the end of the year, that should open up a couple spots for young guys next year. Unless they bring in more vets.

Chicken or egg. Can you show you can handle 2nd line minutes, without getting 2nd line minutes?

Except that hasn't really happened. That's a coach thing though, not a big picture GM thing. Kopitar is currently averaging 18 more seconds per game than last year. Less time on the PK, however, he's still 1st on the team in PK time this year. Danault is a very close 2nd, so he's doing what he was brought in to do, just not really at the expense of Kopitar.

JAD is 22. He probably should be in the lineup by now, but, when Kopitar is still there, and you add Danault, and bring back Lizotte on a 1 way deal, there's only 1 spot left. A couple young guys have been put in that spot this year, just not JAD. Turcotte, I don't know, but JAD has played 43 games, and more(all) in the NHL than AHL last year, which tends to mean a guy will be on the team the following season. So in JAD's case, it was a little surprising they pushed him off the roster with the moves they made.
Playing a year at third line minutes isn't going to kill Kaliyev or his development. Let him fight for that spot next year when AA is most likely gone.

If they haven't shown they can handle 3rd/4th line minutes, why should they be given second line minutes?

Defensive pressure as in Kopitar not having to try and shut down opposing teams top lines which frees him up to play more offensively.

Right now JAD is a victim of the numbers. Is he going to replace Danault and what he brings? No he isn't. So that leaves him to replace Kupari or Lizotte. Lizzote is 23 and has a lot more games under his belt and once again, his style of play is different than what JAD plays. Rather than have him play 10 mins a night,let him play a ton in Ontario untill he's ready to force one of those two guys out

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

Yeah, this is a head scratcher.
The last thing we needed is an even more defense oriented forward. And man Danault is looking ugly.
I don't see any elite defense and his offense is more a comedy than NHL level.
Those blind throwing passes to the middle drive me crazy.

Before Danault, i was hoping to fill the roster with garbage for 2 years and just ride out our oldies.
But adding guys like Arvidson, Edler, Danault is..... yeah, i got nothign
For any reason i don't understand, Blake suddenly thought the Kings will be a playoff team.

It looks more and more that Blake is not the right guy.
We are playing exactly the same hockey, we played the last 5 years and lead us to where we are now.
Our coaching stuff isn't helping either. Why Sturm and TM still have a job is far beyond me

Reactions: crassbonanza

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Arvidsson Kopitar ****
Iaffalo Danault Kempe
**** Byfield ****
Lemieux JAD ****

plenty of spots up for grabs next year.

This is already an AHL team if the **** spots are not filled with Panarin level players

In a serious organization, it would look more like

*** - Byfield - Kaliev
Lemieux - *** - Moore
Iafallo - JAD - Kempe

Kopitar, Brown, Danault and Arvidson have no place on a contender roster

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Was looking back at the 2019 draft.

I think a lot of us were believed we'd end up landing Kirby Dach with the hometown boy Alex Turcotte going to Chicago.

We ended up selecting Turcotte 5th overall. The next player selected? Moritz Seider.

Already a legit top pairing defensemen for the Wings. I doubt he'd develop that fast under our system but still.

JTeller97

Dec 25, 2020

I think a lot of us were believed we'd end up landing Kirby Dach with the hometown boy Alex Turcotte going to Chicago.

We ended up selecting Turcotte 5th overall. The next player selected? Moritz Seider.

Already a legit top pairing defensemen for the Wings. I doubt he'd develop that fast under our system but still.
I was fully expecting us to take Dach that year with the slight possibility of Byram falling to us. Seider was a huge surprise at the time, most had him going in the late teens. If you watch the pick even he was shocked he went that high.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Not have to worry about shutting down opposing teams top lines as well as lead the offense. They have three aging forwards locked into large contracts and two of them are done in 23-24. They're transitioning prospects right now. Kupari, Kaliyev and JAD are all on the roster. Byfield will most likely be back soon as well.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I was fully expecting us to take Dach that year with the slight possibility of Byram falling to us. Seider was a huge surprise at the time, most had him going in the late teens. If you watch the pick even he was shocked he went that high.
I remember liking Seider a lot but most projections had him around 10-20 with him being a late riser in the draft.

Byram would've been awesome too. Sigh. Let's just hope Turcotte pans out to be something.

Reactions: funky

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
This is already an AHL team if the **** spots are not filled with Panarin level players

In a serious organization, it would look more like

*** - Byfield - Kaliev
Lemieux - *** - Moore
Iafallo - JAD - Kempe

Kopitar, Brown, Danault and Arvidson have no place on a contender roster
Wasn't Danault in the finals last year?

The criticism of the Danault signing is amusing. Could you imagine Kopi, Kempe, Kupari, Lizzote down the middle right now with Kopi trending down hard.

Reactions: funky

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Wasn't Danault in the finals last year?

The criticism of the Danault signing is amusing. Could you imagine Kopi, Kempe, Kupari, Lizzote down the middle right now with Kopi trending down hard.
Dont see too many on here that hate Danault. Just that it wasnt the right time to bring him in here.
I can imagine that down the middle. Last year it was similar or maybe even worse than that with Kopitar, Vilardi, JAD, Amadio/Lizotte. Funny enough their record was not much different than your version of stacked center depth this year in Kopitar and Danault.
Also there really wouldnt be a scenario people on here are wanting Kempe and Lizotte as centers. Its more people wanting Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi, JAD to get in and establish themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenito7

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005

Byram was their guy at #5. Once Dach and Byram were gone it should of been a wider more difficult selection at #5... but they went with the best "200ft player" at the time. Emerson said it best....lot's of high end players on that US squad but Turcotte plays the right way. Really... because by contrast Zegras was 3rd on the list for the Habs and is a star player already.

Defensive, 200-ft players is what this team will be built on. We won't get a PPG player for another decade.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA

Seider was a shocker pick to many - most pundits saw him going late in the 1st or early 2nd. He has a mean streak too.

The Wings are building a culture and with players like Raymond and Seider, it's going to be fun. Bertuzzi is a stud.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So of course they call up JAD and Tynan...and insert the 29 year old.

Again not a big deal by itself but it just. keeps. happening.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

That was Yzerman doing a DL Hickey move - i think most had him at like 18th... Zegras was the guy (and he actually was interviewed by the Kings and thought he was coming here) - but boring blake goes with the 2 way player. fine then sign a FA scoring wing, not another 2 way center Danault for 5 years. So where does he slot with Byfield Turcotte and Kopi? and we have Kupari, Vilardi, Thomas .. so you going to move them all to wing? It seems like he cannot plan for shit.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Lisa Dillman had this bit in her story two days ago, 20/20: Dropping in the Pacific Division, the Brandt Clarke snub, Darryl Sutter quote classics. I didn't see anyone mention this here yet.

Defenseman Kale Clague, who has appeared in 11 games this season, was put on waivers this morning. It’s worth remembering that he cleared once already, on Oct. 3 and was also available in the expansion draft last summer. The Seattle Kraken opted to select enforcer Kurtis MacDermid, who was quickly flipped to the Colorado Avalanche. It was a mixed showing so far this season for Clague who didn’t look out of place running the power play in Doughty’s injury absence. While mistakes are to be expected from young defensemen still finding their way in the league, Clague has the habit of making the same mistakes over and over.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Dont see too many on here that hate Danault. Just that it wasnt the right time to bring him in here.
I can imagine that down the middle. Last year it was similar or maybe even worse than that with Kopitar, Vilardi, JAD, Amadio/Lizotte. Funny enough their record was not much different than your version of stacked center depth this year in Kopitar and Danault.
Also there really wouldnt be a scenario people on here are wanting Kempe and Lizotte as centers. Its more people wanting Byfield, Turcotte, Vilardi, JAD to get in and establish themselves.
Timing is fine. When you have the chance to fill a position for the window they're aiming for, you have to take it when available.

It would be nice if other center options had made it. There is a difference between hope & what ends up happening. If they passed on Danault we'd be discussing Kempe at C again.

Reactions: dick341

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Timing is fine. When you have the chance to fill a position for the window they're aiming for, you have to take it when available.

It would be nice if other center options had made it. There is a difference between hope & what ends up happening. If they passed on Danault we'd be discussing Kempe at C again.
No Kempe at C if they passed on Danault. Two of Turcotte, Vilardi, JAD and Byfield plus Lizotte would have been on the team. Its also not bad for rebuilding teams to pick up a guy like Boyle or Staal on a one year deal much like they did with Edler.
What window are you talking about? Did they sign him because they dont think their picks are good?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Lisa Dillman had this bit in her story two days ago, 20/20: Dropping in the Pacific Division, the Brandt Clarke snub, Darryl Sutter quote classics. I didn't see anyone mention this here yet.

Well, yeah. That's part of the development process. Are they going to toss Mikey Anderson for the different times he gets walked?

My biggest issue with Clague was when he refused to play his game and played too scared to make mistakes. For the issues Sean Durzi has, he's at LEAST playing his game.
Edit: to make it clear, I'm responding to Lisa's take

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad