Prospect Info: 2021 - 2022 World Junior Championships

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I thought it would be good to put something up on the Blues board for the World Junior Tournament.

I assume the conversation will mostly revolve around Blues prospects, but I'd say any prospect talk should be allowed in this thread.

For reference, the Blues have three prospects in the tournament:

Jake Neighbours - Team Canada - #12
Tanner Dickinson - Team USA - #71
Leo Loof - Team Sweden - #8

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I have to say, I know Lambert has been questioned this year, but I like what I see from him in this first period. He carries the puck similarly to Draisaitl. He does need to learn how to slow the game down to better utilize his linemates though.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
It's his first tournament, but Kemell is not very noticeable. He's trying to find the soft areas of the ice for cross ice passes, and I've never been a big fan of that style of game. Very Caufield-esque and I didn't like Caufield for that reason.

Kemell will get going later in the tournament, I'm sure.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I have to say, I know Lambert has been questioned this year, but I like what I see from him in this first period. He carries the puck similarly to Draisaitl. He does need to learn how to slow the game down to better utilize his linemates though.
I thought Lambert was really impressive last year as a younger player. Didn't realize people were questioning him this year, has he had a rough go of it since the WJC last year? Had a real nice assist on that 3rd goal for Finland.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I thought Lambert was really impressive last year as a younger player. Didn't realize people were questioning him this year, has he had a rough go of it since the WJC last year? Has a real nice assist on that 3rd goal for Finland.
A lot of Euro scouts soured on him because he had a poor start to the season. His intelligence isn't quite up to his talent level yet and those scouts have been quite critical with his processing of his game.

Personally, I don't see any major red-flags with his mental game. It strikes me more as a player learning how to incorporate his physical strengths.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
A lot of Euro scouts soured on him because he had a poor start to the season. His intelligence isn't quite up to his talent level yet and those scouts have been quite critical with his processing of his game.

Personally, I don't see any major red-flags with his mental game. It strikes me more as a player learning how to incorporate his physical strengths.
Interesting, appreciate the info. Hadn't been following his development since last year because he's probably going to be drafted way before the Blues pick. Player of the game for Lambert against Germany (who played a surprisingly competitive game).

Excited to see Loof in live action! Posters in the team Sweden roster thread seemed pretty high on him as a solid defensive dman.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Decent first period for Loof. His partner Nystrom (sp?) was a bit of a trainwreck, so it seemed like Loof was trying to babysit him a little bit. Loof threw a couple nice hits and made a couple smart plays in the dzone to slow things down and generate a clean breakout.

The one time I noticed Loof sneaking in from the point in the ozone to try to generate a scoring chance, the puck ended up going the other way for a 2-1 and his back pressure wasn't great.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Wow Edvinsson with a coast to coast short handed highlight reel goal.

(Penalty was against Nystrom for a delay of game...he's looked really rough so far today)

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Neighbours clearly watched Loof and was jealous of the hits we was throwing, cause he just completely blew up a Czech player twice on one shift :laugh:

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
It’s early in the game, but this is one of the least impressive rosters Canada has put out in recent years.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Neighbours clearly watched Loof and was jealous of the hits we was throwing, cause he just completely blew up a Czech player twice on one shift :laugh:
That’s why I love Neighbours’ future on this team, he is going to be a tough player to play against.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
It’s gonna take time. They had less time together bc of Covid and perhaps their 2 most talented forwards are 16 and 17.
That could easily be the case. This team might become more than the sum of its parts.

but from my view, they will need to be more than the sum of their parts if they want to take down Russia, Sweden, etc. I’m just not a fan of how this roster was built. However, I’m in no way suggesting that I could do better.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That could easily be the case. This team might become more than the sum of its parts.

but from my view, they will need to be more than the sum of their parts if they want to take down Russia, Sweden, etc. I’m just not a fan of how this roster was built. However, I’m in no way suggesting that I could do better.
I find it fascinating that Sweden always looks awesome at WJC until medal round where they choke.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I find it fascinating that Sweden always looks awesome at WJC until medal round where they choke.
I find it just as fascinating that the Russians seem like the opposite. They'll struggle through the round robin and then make it to the Gold medal round (unless they play Canada in the semis).

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad