Rumor: 2021-2022 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part VIII: All Rumors No Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
God, I hate how late the trade deadline is into the season. New players are only gonna play like 15 games for their new teams.

Reactions: hughdreamz

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If you’re trying to push the narrative that Girard is not getting a shit ton of criticism thrown his way, I’m fine with telling you you’re objectively wrong. It’s been to the level that at least one of the Trade/Sign threads was sarcastically entitled “Where are we trading Girard?”.

Girards been getting shit on all year? There's been a pretty consistent amount of criticism for all 4 of these guys this year.

I've been watching the games after the fact lately so I haven't been reading the GDT's.

But I have a hard time believing people have been criticizing Girard as much as EJ, because EJ's been making mistakes as well, and in general it takes 10 of the same level of mistakes from Girard to get people to say something about it, while everyone has been conditioned to throw a fit over every little mistake EJ makes, because he's their favorite scapegoat.

This discussion right here is a perfect example. G has probably been the most mistake prone defenseman for a while now, yet we're defending him, and criticizing EJ, JJ, etc.

It's not Girard's partners that are at fault for G being out of position. It's not his partner's fault for not being able to tie up a stick in front of the net. It's not his partner's fault for routinely getting bumped off the puck below the goal line. It's not his partner's fault for G turning lots of pucks over. Yet for some reason we're blaming his partners for his mistakes?

It's "hyperbole" to act as if Girard has been belly flopping all over the place, but it's not hyperbole to say all EJ brings is belly flops? When Girard has been making way more belly flops than EJ? Give me a break. Talk about narratives.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Just getting caught up on the last few pages.

Grubauer was never going to get it done with this team. He couldn’t come through in key moments in the playoffs.

We just don’t know with Kuemper, but I wouldn’t look for a goalie at the deadline. I’d rather the team focus on other areas and ride it out with Kuemper and Francouz. It’s a gamble, but I don’t want to waste assets on something that will probably be a lateral swap.

On Girard… it’s more than just his defence partner.

I really don’t care about his underlying numbers, or CORSI with JJ. Watching the games, it’s clear that he’s not as good with the puck and just generally makes more errors than he did last season. I wouldn’t give up on him, but his lacklustre play shouldn’t just be shrugged off as his defence partners poor play.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I've been watching the games after the fact lately so I haven't been reading the GDT's.

But I have a hard time believing people have been criticizing Girard as much as EJ, because EJ's been making mistakes as well, and in general it takes 10 of the same level of mistakes from Girard to get people to say something about it, while everyone has been conditioned to throw a fit over every little mistake EJ makes, because he's their favorite scapegoat.

This discussion right here is a perfect example. G has probably been the most mistake prone defenseman for a while now, yet we're defending him, and criticizing EJ, JJ, etc.

It's not Girard's partners that are at fault for G being out of position. It's not his partner's fault for not being able to tie up a stick in front of the net. It's not his partner's fault for routinely getting bumped off the puck below the goal line. It's not his partner's fault for G turning lots of pucks over. Yet for some reason we're blaming his partners for his mistakes?

It's "hyperbole" to act as if Girard has been belly flopping all over the place, but it's not hyperbole to say all EJ brings is belly flops? When Girard has been making way more belly flops than EJ? Give me a break. Talk about narratives.
Over half the board wants G traded?? Also there's more people here defending him because it looks like a down year at age 23 where as JJ and EJ are old and aren't going to get better. The situations couldn't be more different.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Over half the board wants G traded?? Also there's more people here defending him because it looks like a down year at age 23 where as JJ and EJ are old and aren't going to get better. The situations couldn't be more different.

No, if people are talking about G being traded it's because he's been in trade rumors this year, and he has a lot more trade value than EJ.

There's been no rumors about EJ being traded, and if people thought he could/would be traded, then 99% of this board would be talking about it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I really don’t care about his underlying numbers, or CORSI with JJ. Watching the games, it’s clear that he’s not as good with the puck and just generally makes more errors than he did last season. I wouldn’t give up on him, but his lacklustre play shouldn’t just be shrugged off as his defence partners poor play.
I agree he's been decidedly worse this year. But I think it'd be a better idea to try and find him a upgrade for a partner than just up and trade him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It’s not like this is the first time Girard has sucked. Look at the Vegas series. Look at the Dallas series. He was a rookie so I’ll give him a pass but does anybody remember how bad he was abused in the Nashville series? These are all playoff rounds the Avs lost.

I’ve said it a bunch but I think Girard’s flaws this year is partially at fault of the Avs. It’s pretty obvious they asked him to get stronger and it’s drastically affected his skating. This is a big reason for his poor transition game which before this year was elite. However his defensive issues aren’t new and they’ve been exposed most at his team’s biggest moments.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No, if people are talking about G being traded it's because he's been in trade rumors this year, and he has a lot more trade value than EJ.

If people thought EJ could/would be traded, then 99% of this board would be talking about it.
But he hasn't been in any trade rumors? He's being rightfully criticized for his play this year? Just like EJ and JJ have been rightfully criticized.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
But he hasn't been in any trade rumors? He's being rightfully criticized for his play this year? Just like EJ and JJ have been rightfully criticized.

Girard was definitely in rumors earlier in the year. You don't remember?

In fact, I think he's struggled lately even more because he's worried he might be traded. Especially after Joe's comments. I think that's part of why Jost has struggled more this year too. I think he's just waiting to be traded at this point.

EJ and JJ have both made their share of mistakes this year. I don't have anything wrong with fair criticism. What I have an issue with is the level of criticism compared to guys like Girard and Toews.

EJ could go 10-15 games without really making a mistake, and the moment he does, half the board jumps all over him like he's some kind of massive anchor holding the team back. I know this because that's basically what happened after a very good start from him this year.

Meanwhile Girard or Toews could make the same level of mistake 10 times in a row, and nobody would say anything about it. That's the part that I don't agree with.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I agree he's been decidedly worse this year. But I think it'd be a better idea to try and find him a upgrade for a partner than just up and trade him.

It’s an off-season discussion. I certainly don’t see any reason to move him at the deadline.

It’s all largely dependent upon what happens with Byram.

Reactions: Avaholic29

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Girard was definitely in rumors earlier in the year. You don't remember?

In fact, I think he's struggled lately even more because he's worried he might be traded. Especially after Joe's comments. I think that's part of why Jost has struggled more this year too. I think he's just waiting to be traded at this point.

EJ and JJ have both made their share of mistakes this year. I don't have anything wrong with fair criticism. What I have an issue with is the level of criticism compared to guys like Girard and Toews.

EJ could go 10-15 games without really making a mistake, and the moment he does, half the board jumps all over him like he's some kind of massive anchor holding the team back. I know this because that's basically what happened after a very good start from him this year.

Meanwhile Girard or Toews could make the same level of mistake 10 times in a row, and nobody would say anything about it. That's the part that I don't agree with.

Girard has been bad, EJ has been much worse. The big difference is that Girard is playing more minutes and a bigger role and so his mistakes are a lot more glaring, but EJ has also been objectively terrible all season, especially on the penalty kill.

Reactions: Avaholic29

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Anyone trade for Varly and then trade Darcy to Edmonton for 1st++?

Would be really nice to have a 2022 and 2023 1st to trade for D and F help.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Girard has been bad, EJ has been much worse. The big difference is that Girard is playing more minutes and a bigger role and so his mistakes are a lot more glaring, but EJ has also been objectively terrible all season, especially on the penalty kill.
EJ's a warrior. His mistakes only count half as much as others.

Reactions: Avsboy

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

EJ has definitely been terrible aswell, I was hoping he’d be LTIR space by now..

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Objectively EJ has not been terrible all season. At the very least most people agreed he was great the first 10-20 games.

And I genuinely disagree EJ has been worse and especial "much worse" than Girard. G has made 2-3 times as many mistakes the last couple weeks. He's making like 5+ a game. All over the ice too. With and without the puck.

I think G is capable of playing much better, but the characterization of his play versus EJ is what I couldn't disagree more with.

SoftMittsHardSticks

Jan 3, 2014
Regardless of the level of play, I think its ironic that after all of the worry and lament about EJs health that he and O'Connor are only ones to have played every game so far this year

Reactions: The Moops

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It’s not like this is the first time Girard has sucked. Look at the Vegas series. Look at the Dallas series. He was a rookie so I’ll give him a pass but does anybody remember how bad he was abused in the Nashville series? These are all playoff rounds the Avs lost.

I’ve said it a bunch but I think Girard’s flaws this year is partially at fault of the Avs. It’s pretty obvious they asked him to get stronger and it’s drastically affected his skating. This is a big reason for his poor transition game which before this year was elite. However his defensive issues aren’t new and they’ve been exposed most at his team’s biggest moments.

I don't think any additional strength (I don't really notice any) is the reason for Girard's struggles. Most of his struggles are areas he always struggles with. He's just struggling more than usual for the regular season.

G's skating hasn't been the reason he's getting getting muscled off pucks, isn't tying up sticks, is out of position, and has been turning lots of pucks over. I don't really notice a drop in skating ability either. I do notice a drop in confidence though.

I think early on this year he was struggling more than normal because he was hearing his name in rumors. And the closer we've gotten to the deadline, the more he's struggled it seems.

IMO it's a combination of the limitations he'll always have, combined with the distraction of thinking he might be traded from the team he loves playing for, but I think we often over emphasize this idea of "bulking up too much."

Almost all of G's mistakes are mental mistakes. Especially his turnovers. He's a very smart D man but he's been making very poor puck decisions most of the year. That's very uncharacteristic for him.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think any additional strength (I don't really notice any) is the reason for Girard's struggles. Most of his struggles are areas he always struggles with. He's just struggling more than usual for the regular season.

G's skating hasn't been the reason he's getting getting muscled off pucks, isn't tying up sticks, is out of position, and has been turning lots of pucks over. I don't really notice a drop in skating ability either. I do notice a drop in confidence though.

I think early on this year he was struggling more than normal because he was hearing his name in rumors. And the closer we've gotten to the deadline, the more he's struggled it seems.

IMO it's a combination of the limitations he'll always have, combined with the distraction of thinking he might be traded from the team he loves playing for, but I think we often over emphasize this idea of "bulking up too much."

Almost all of G's mistakes are mental mistakes. Especially his turnovers. He's a very smart D man but he's been making very poor puck decisions most of the year. That's very uncharacteristic for him.
The best part of Girard’s game has been his transition game. He used his feet to get to pucks quickly and because of that he became a retrieval wizard. He’d win his race, retrieve with ease, use his magic feet to create space and transition forward. It was wonderful. This year he has lost a step and simply isn’t getting to those pucks first. He’s getting met to those pucks by attackers and like you said, he loses all those battles.

You’re right that his skating isn’t the reason he loses battles. However I think it’s fair to say his foot speed this year is the reason he has so many of those battles in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad