Status
Not open for further replies.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Continue here

Last we heard, The Avs may be in on Miller and Garland and the Avs and Flyers are still doing the majestic scouting ritual.
ezgif.com-gif-maker (20).gif

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
In the other thread there were several comments about improving the bottom 6 by pushing guys down. It became somewhat of an echo chamber in the other thread. The problem is that Compher seems to create a drag effect on any line he play's on in the bottom 6. How many times has @Richard88 posted data showing this over the past couple of years?

Unless he plays with MacKinnon or Rantanen, it's hard to see him being productive. But that would mean breaking up 9296. And if that's the case, there might be better options than Compher next to MacKinnon or Rantanen.

It's kind of interesting because Kerfoot has been more productive because he has been playing next to Matthews this year (And Leafs fans keep trying to sell high on him. LOL). This is kind of what Compher is like.

But the problem is, his only path to being productive can't be tied to MacKinnon or Rantanen. And if he's on a line in the bottom six, he cant be such a substantial drag to those lines. So it's not as simple as having Compher playing with better players on the 4th line if he's going to create the same drag effect.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Please, Giroux instead of Miller. Cheaper to get so we have ammo to add more than just one player.

Then re-sign Giroux, something like 7M x 3yrs.

I want neither of those douche canoes. I think the price will be too high. Give me some Lehkonen + Crouse + a defender while moving out Jost, JTC, and Murray and I'm on board.

Reactions: jabubenice

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
In the other thread there were several comments about improving the bottom 6 by pushing guys down. It became somewhat of an echo chamber in the other thread. The problem is that Compher seems to create a drag effect on any line he play's on in the bottom 6. How many times has @Richard88 posted data showing this over the past couple of years?

Unless he plays with MacKinnon or Rantanen, it's hard to see him being productive. But that would mean breaking up 9296. And if that's the case, there might be better options than Compher next to MacKinnon or Rantanen.

It's kind of interesting because Kerfoot has been more productive because he has been playing next to Matthews this year (And Leafs fans keep trying to sell high on him. LOL). This is kind of what Compher is like.

But the problem is, his only path to being productive can't be tied to MacKinnon or Rantanen. And if he's on a line in the bottom six, he cant be such a substantial drag to those lines. So it's not as simple as having Compher playing with better players on the 4th line if he's going to create the same drag effect.
If I remember correctly, statistically JTC drags down every line he plays on. It may be echo chamber-y but that’s because well he’s a problem.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If I remember correctly, statistically JTC drags down every line he plays on. It may be echo chamber-y but that’s because well he’s a problem.

You’re not understanding my use of the term. People saying “move guys down” is what was being repeated over and over.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You’re not understanding my use of the term. People saying “move guys down” is what was being repeated over and over.
Well there are some guys that need to get moved down. LOC has shown that the 3rd line is a bit to much for him and is at his best on the 4th line. I think the team would be at its most effective with Nuke* on the 3rd line taking some of the pressure off Newhook. It’s just valid criticisms of this teams depth that some guys are playing above where they should.

*I think Nukes offense is unsustainable personally, but obviously if he’s turned a corner than the 3rd line is to low for him.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
He is trying harder to be better because he knows he is going to be traded.

But its making him even worse.

“Compher with the puck on his stick” is a sentence opposing teams love to hear because they know the puck is going 3 feet wide of the net.

I’ll admit I don’t mind him defensively as a 4th line player, I just don’t see how the $3.5mil makes any sense there. Not a huge Clutterbuck fan admittedly, but he’d be a nice swap for Compher if the Islanders can retain on Clutterbuck.

Last edited:

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I admittedly know very little about signing college players, as well Helleson’s desire to sign with us. But if there’s more than a 1% chance he doesn’t sign with us and walks as a free agent, then he’s the prospect we’ve got to move. Can’t let an asset like that walk off the books.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
“Compher will the puck on his stick” is a sentence opposing teams love to hear because they know the puck is going 3 feet wide of the net.

I’ll admit I don’t mind him defensively as a 4th line player, I just don’t see how the $3.5mil makes any sense there. Not a huge Clutterbuck fan admittedly, but he’d be a nice swap for Compher if the Islanders can retain on Clutterbuck.
I'd not even mind his 3.5M if he was above average defensively. Unfortunately statistically not only he's nowhere near above average, he's actually the worst forward on the team defensively.

Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Yeah it's bad. The players that get strapped to Compher usually see their production get the kiss of death. In last year's post-season, even Landeskog and Nichushkin weren't immune to this effect.

The best line/most successful line Compher has ever been on was, IMO: Nieto-Compher-Calvert in 2019. Compher has never worked well with finesse players.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
LeBrun is covering Montreal and I know the Habs want to trade their players ASAP because they just keep winning and are in danger of ruining their tanking season. Such a bad decision to hire a new coach this season, especially a great motivator like St Louis.
buy low on jeff petry maybe? i know he's having an awful season, but it has to be partly because of the dumpster fire season the habs are having, and he must be better than Murray/Johnson.

Edit: if they were willing to retain big time

EDIT EDIT: NVM just looked at his contract, that looks like it could be ugly, 34, on the downward trend and 3 more years at 6.25 no thanks

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
From the other thread, comparing our bottom 6 with cup winning Tampa last year, their 4th line was better than ours but the biggest difference was their elite defensive 3rd line of Coleman - Gourde - Goodrow.

4yn0ozh.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad