MacDermid - Helm

Bad fit - Compher, Jost

Toews - Makar - OK
Girard - HOLE#1 - NOT OK
JMFJ - EJ - OK
Byram - MacDonald
Helleson?

Bad fit - Murray

Hole #1 - I think this is the Avs most glaring and obvious need. If there was any certainty that Byram could come back and stay healthy then maybe you'd focus on other areas but since that's not the case, the Avs need to acquire a pretty good player in this spot. Ideally, they'd get a guy who plays a physical game, can skate and move the puck pretty well. I'm far from convinced that a d-man who's been steadily playing 15 - 17 minutes per game as a bottom pairing guy would fit the bill here - I think we need a better player than that.

Hole #2 - This would have been my number 1 need if we hadn't seen Rantanen used as a center while MacKinnon was injured. Rants looked engaged and while he wasn't perfect he showed the ability to produce and look dangerous while anchoring his own line. If a major injury should occur, one would hope that Bednar would look at that option. I think it makes the need to acquire a true center less of an absolute necessity but at the same time I'm sure they are also thinking beyond this season as Kadri will almost assuredly sign elsewhere. I'd like to see the Avs acquire a player who can also slot in to that Top-6 if needed and still be able to produce as opposed to a guy who's only known to be a solid 3rd liner won't cut it or at least it shouldn't. (For example - Chris Tierney is generally regarded as a solid #3C but I don't think you want him in your Top-6)
It's going to cost more but the days of acquiring players like Brassard and Soderberg on the cheap thinking they can fill some kind of hole should be over - that's not what this team needs.

Hole #3 - If Logan O'Connor had been able to maintain the play he showed for the first 30 game of the season, I think this would be a 4th line hole instead but sadly, he hasn't looked the same the past 15-20 games or so. I think NAK was a good addition off of waivers but I think he's probably more of a 4th line player than a true 3rd liner at this time. I'd like to see the Avs add a physical forward as we don't have much of a presence in that regard. I feel like the interest in Clutterbuck was the right idea especially if he can be a pretty good penalty killer.

I would hope that Avs management sees things close to the same way because it's pretty damn obvious. I think 90-95% of Avs fans would agree about the bad fits on this team and the need to get better players in those spots to solidify the bottom-6.

My expectations are that the Avs will fill 2 of these holes with one trade and then make another trade for the last need. Sakic cannot balk at the prices this time around and has to go for it because you just know that Tampa Bay and Vegas are going to trade for Weber's contract so they can cheat some more.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
Girard isn't particulary fast in a straight line, he got beat regularly by players like Colesar while retrieving the puck and for somebody whose strength is supposed to be their agility how do you get walked on by a washed up Perry twice badly. Still weird to me that people here defend him like he's their son in peewee league or something and look for every excuse in the book to push blame elsewhere or downplay his faults.

Copp would be good but again if Compher is still going to be on any line the but the 4th then I don't think it'll make much difference.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Copp + Mayfield + Clutterbuck is doable if Sakic wants to go for 3 pieces.

You get a much needed 3C, a good defensive/physical 4W and a big right handed 4D to play with Girard.

That's not a big splash but that's nearly perfection for what we need/can afford.

Edit: also if there's one team that may want JTC for next year it could be the Jets.

I’m more than fine with that. The top 6 is fine even with Bura’s disappearing acts. It’s not the sexiest deadline but I think it would help tremendously

Bura-Mack-Rants
Lando-Kadri-Nuke
Newhook-Copp-LOC
NAK/Helm-Maltsev-Clutterbuck
MacDermid

Toews-Makar
Girard-Mayfield
Byram-EJ
JJ, Murray

Reactions: Balthazar

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Makar has looked fine with every partner, to be fair he had to save Girard defensively when paired up against Calgary. If you have an undersized dman that can only succeed if you find him a perfect partner than the issue isn’t the partners.

I don't think I said anything about a perfect partner - I said "a steady veteran who's a decent skater and puck mover" you know, maybe someone a bit better than a guy we got on a frikkin' try-out? Don't get me wrong, JMFJ has done pretty damn well with the Avs when you consider everything that's been asked of him but he should be a bottom pairing guy and nothing more.

I dunno, I don't think I'm asking too much to see Girard partnered with an established Top-4 guy before everyone decides that at age 23 he just sucks and should be dumped as soon as possible?

I guess those that have never actually played hockey don't know what it's like when you've got an underwhelming teammate that you just know (even before you pass him the puck) that IF you do, it's going to be a turnover. I certainly do... his name was Trevor and MAN, did that guy f***ing suck!!! If you don't think playing with that guy had any impact on my overall game and what chances I took and didn't take, you're out to lunch. I tried to minimize the damage and hell, I gave him his shares of chances knowing he'd f*** it up and he certainly did , every-single-time. :facepalm:

Now I'm not saying it's to THAT extent with Girard and JMFJ but I also don't think Sammy G feels comfortable playing his game the way he'd normally play it otherwise.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'd be cool with that.

If they want to include Francouz and get Varly at 50% ok but I would not be fine with getting Varly to replace Kuemper.

Varly has another year left on his deal, so I doubt the Isles eat 50% for two years but stranger things have happened. His injury history is a massive concern - even as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad