Rumor: 2021-2022 Trade Rumors and FA Part VI: Lets see how well Sakic can Hagel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Given how conservative Sakic has been with future assets over the years, and how reluctant he has been to move guys like Compher and Jost, I think that a lot of what's being proposed here isn't going to come true. Besides, we don't have the cap space to add multiple pieces, and before you say "But so-and-so could go the other way", that would mean moving pieces out of a team that isn't losing a lot of games right now. He isn't going to do much, if anything, to subtract from the team right now.
He coughed up that 1st and Timmins pretty quick when he needed too.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yes, but he's also one headshot hit away of being out for another three months. We definitely need a back up regardless.

I think getting some insurance wound definitely be a good idea, but I think you also have to have a plan to try and work Byram in too.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I don't see anyone suggesting to burn "EVERYTHING" on this year, nor do I think the trades I proposed would constitute anything close to that.

The trades I proposed can be summed up as:

In:
Giroux @50%
Clutterbuck @50%
Kulak (if there's doubt about Byram's health at the deadline)
3rd​

Out:
Compher
Jost
1st
Helleson
4th
The picks are a wash and Compher and Jost can easily be replaced via free agency given their respective caphits and on-ice impacts. A 1st and Helleson would certainly hurt to lose but at some point you have to shoot your shot to try to go for a cup, and there's also no guarantee that those assets turn into impact NHL'ers if we were to keep them (see Kaut, Bowers, Bleackley, Hishon, Meloche, Morrison, Greer, etc). The trades I suggested (or something along those lines) would fill all the biggest holes and needs on the roster for this cup run, while still allowing us to keep four of our top 5 prospects going forwards (i.e. Barron, Behrens, Olausson, and Ranta). So how exactly does that constitute "burning everything on this year"?

Yeah. What you've addressed is sensible and in line with what has been discussed and reported. Furthermore, your valuations have been on point as well. But. I think all of the people suggesting we trade every prospect and future Av through 2029 for Chychrun are partly at fault for this. You haven't been pushing this but there is a segment of the fanbase that has turned "we must have Chychrun" into an echo chamber. I think McMetal might be conflating that with others.

Reactions: Richard88

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Just swap JTC for Clutter and Jost + pick for Paquette and Kulak.

A bottom 6 that includes Clutter, LOC, Paquette and NAK would be hilariously difficult to play against come playoff time.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Clutterbuck is solid on the 4th line. However, thats all he should be and the Avs would still need to get someone on the 3rd line.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I'm not expecting Sakic to do exactly what I suggested. Giroux would be a spectacular addition but it's not very realistic given Sakic's history at the deadline.

I'd be relatively pleased if all he did was bolster the bottom 6 with a couple of savvy additions, along with a Dman if Byram isn't good to go. For example, something like Lehkonen and Clutterbuck would be a tidy deadline as far as I'm concerned. Not perfect, but tidy, and would improve both the 3rd and 4th lines along with the PK.

Landeskog -- Mackinnon -- Rantanen
Nichuskin ------ Kadri -------- Burakovsky
Lehkonen ----- Newhook --- O'Connor
Clutterbuck ----- Jost -------- Compher/NAK/Helm/MacDermid/Maltsev

Toews -- Makar
Byram -- Girard
Murray -- EJ
JJ
Definitely improves the bottom 6 and makes us tougher to play against, but that would be very lackluster (albeit realistic) and also not give us a good FO guy we desperately need.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

0% chance this happens - but the more I think about it, the more I feel like Joe should say f*** it and go for it.

1st + OO + Helleson/Barron + Jost + JTC

for

Pageau + Mayfield

We’d be giving up a lot (basically 3 firsts), but we’d be getting tough ass guys who fit all our needs, play playoff hockey and also have term. In the case of Pageau, it would also allow us to ease Hook into the 2C role over the next few years and insulate him. Again, 0% chance of this happening, but this would be a legit over the top move.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I enjoy listening to the local radio stations to hear all about the Habs and what they're going to do at the TDL. A few weeks back, it was hilarious because on a segment they were doing, they were letting Petry have it - all from being a bad pro to his crappy on-ice performances but then one guy said "if Ben Chariots-of-tire-fire can get a 1st round pick, imagine what we could get for Petry??" [ok, he didn't use that name for Chariot that's just what I personally call him]

I thought it was funny that they spent 5 minutes slagging the guy and then turned-around and figured that they could get a fantastic return for a '40 point d-man'... LOL

I don't doubt that some insane GM is going to trade for him but the return is going to be pretty bad. Nobody is paying a premium for a guy who happily signed a 4 year extension at an insane amount IN MONTREAL, DURING A PANDEMIC but then bitches and complains that his family is in the US. What did you think was gonna happen bud, that the Montreal Canadiens would relocate to the US? Nobody put a gun to your head to sign that.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
0% chance this happens - but the more I think about it, the more I feel like Joe should say f*** it and go for it.

for

Pageau + Mayfield

We’d be giving up a lot (basically 3 firsts), but we’d be getting tough ass guys who fit all our needs, play playoff hockey and also have term. In the case of Pageau, it would also allow us to ease Hook into the 2C role over the next few years and insulate him. Again, 0% chance of this happening, but this would be a legit over the top move.

Absolutely not. Giving up way too much in this.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

for

Pageau + Mayfield

That's too much for a 3C and 4/5 Dman.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
The Avs play NYI twice in the next two weeks, could just be normal opponent scouting in Seattle. But Sakic breaking with the team to go to long island makes you wonder.

Reactions: shadow1

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think Joe will do something noteworthy. Some of you think bottom six guys are the same as previous years but this has been a huge problem and would be extremely noteworthy. And it would be even more noteworthy if Joe is willing to move on from Compher and/or Jost in order to make these improvements.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Completely spitballing but in the 2019 off-season Colorado was reportedly interested in Brock Nelson, but that info came out after Nelson had already extended with New York. Sakic obviously moved on to Kadri.

I'm not sure the Islanders want to completely tear things down by trading away one of their top-2 centers, but just wanted to throw that out there. :pumpkin:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Imagine if Sakic had signed Andersen instead of Kuemper? Avs retain their 2022 1st, 2024 conditional 3rd and 3RD in Timmins?

I’m okay with Kuemper but the Avs would have so much more flexibility at this TDL if Andersen hadn’t gotten nervous and signed with the Canes early on. But then I’d have been nervous if we went after Andersen so there’s that.

Reactions: AvsCOL

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I don't think it's impossible, just unrealistic that Sakic is going to make major changes under these circumstances. Unless we start playing .500 hockey from now until the deadline, I just don't see Sakic rocking the boat that much with big adds and subtracts, especially with the limited futures we have to wheel and deal with. Yes, we all want to go "all in", but Sakic does have to think about the future if he wants to convince MacK to re-sign here. After all, if we burn EVERYTHING on this year, what incentive does he have to stay on a barren club?

We also won the President's trophy last year and you saw how that turned out. Winning doesn't and shouldn't preclude you from making moves to push you over the top.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Imagine if Sakic had signed Andersen instead of Kuemper? Avs retain their 2022 1st, 2024 conditional 3rd and 3RD in Timmins?

I’m okay with Kuemper but the Avs would have so much more flexibility at this TDL if Andersen hadn’t gotten nervous and signed with the Canes early on. But then I’d have been nervous if we went after Andersen so there’s that.

20/20 hindsight. Kuemper has been great and our needs are on depth rather than up front, we still have the assets to improve the bottom 6 and find a 2nd/3rd pairing Dman.

Reactions: shadow1

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006

A big time miss by Sakic last year. We were rumored to be on Anderson to the last minute but Grubauer played us to the last minute as well. Sakic had a little too much trust on his former players and it burned him but he partially made up for it with Darcy.

Reactions: Perratrooper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad