Rumor: 2021-2022 Trade Rumors and FA Part VI: Lets see how well Sakic can Hagel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
There is nothing unreasonable about what you're suggesting.

We just saw the Leafs be able to effectively dump a player like Nick Ritchie - a guy they already put on waivers this season and someone they've seemingly wanted to get rid of all year long - who still had another year on his contract at $2.5M all the while still be able to acquire a depth d-man like Lyubushkin. Now GM Bill Armstrong can sing Ritchie praises until the cows come home, no one is buyin' it - this was 100% all about the draft pick.

I don't think Jost & Compher are in the same category as Nick Ritchie... I think they have 'some' value around the league. I don't really see any issue with involving these players in trades in order to bring back players that better fit this team for a playoff run.
I agree with that. Not sure anyone was implying that Jost or Compher are negative assets though. If Sakic wants to move either or both of them he'll get something in return for sure.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I bet there's some pressure on him to come back before the deadline. I'm sure Sakic would like to know what Byrams plans are, and if he can play. It will have a big impact on what Sakic decides to do.

You’re correct. I didn’t want to give the pessimistic POV but there’s certainly that possibility if not likelihood in order that Sakic may have the opportunity to learn if he needs to pick up a bottom 3D before the TDL.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
  • Clutterbuck (50%) + 3rd for Jost
  • Giroux (50%) for JTC + 1st + Helleson
  • Kulak for a 4th
The roster below is what I'd be aiming for the lines to be in the playoffs with the three trades above. Those three moves would put us at a 24 man roster including Maltsev at 4C, so just keep Maltsev in the AHL until the playoffs or until someone goes on IR (the roster below has $668,537 in capspace excluding Maltsev).

The roster would not only be looking extremely strong with 3 scoring lines, but also have a 4th line capable of wearing opposition Dmen down, along with being extremely deep with 14 NHL calibre forwards (Helm and NAK as extra forwards) and 8 deep on defense (JJ and Murray the extras).

View attachment 509750
I know reality and Joe’s history say differently, but something at least feels a little different this time than say…the last 3 go-arounds.

With that said, I feel like this really should be the bare bare minimum. Giroux is a big fish guy and if we don’t get him for 1 reason or another, I get it. But the other guys - a 4th line winger and a competent bottom pairing depth guy that make us more difficult to play against in the playoff - are just easy no brainers.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I agree with that. Not sure anyone was implying that Jost or Compher are negative assets though. If Sakic wants to move either or both of them he'll get something in return for sure.

I've seen it mentioned that some people seem to think it's "impossible" that the Avs move players like Jost + Compher AND make a few trades to acquire players that are more needed for the Cup run. My response was more geared toward that line of thinking.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Byram on his way to getting back would explain a lot in the rumors we've been hearing. Without Byram the Avs biggest need is on the back end, but it seems all the rumors we've been hearing have been on forwards.

I can only assume Sakic had more information on Byram's recovery that he was letting on.
You could tell by his presser

Reactions: AvsCOL

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I've seen it mentioned that some people seem to think it's "impossible" that the Avs move players like Jost + Compher AND make a few trades to acquire players that are more needed for the Cup run. My response was more geared toward that line of thinking.
I don't think it's impossible, just unrealistic that Sakic is going to make major changes under these circumstances. Unless we start playing .500 hockey from now until the deadline, I just don't see Sakic rocking the boat that much with big adds and subtracts, especially with the limited futures we have to wheel and deal with. Yes, we all want to go "all in", but Sakic does have to think about the future if he wants to convince MacK to re-sign here. After all, if we burn EVERYTHING on this year, what incentive does he have to stay on a barren club?

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I don't think it's impossible, just unrealistic that Sakic is going to make major changes under these circumstances. Unless we start playing .500 hockey from now until the deadline, I just don't see Sakic rocking the boat that much with big adds and subtracts, especially with the limited futures we have to wheel and deal with. Yes, we all want to go "all in", but Sakic does have to think about the future if he wants to convince MacK to re-sign here. After all, if we burn EVERYTHING on this year, what incentive does he have to stay on a barren club?
Sakic is on record basically saying it's Stanley Cup or bust for this team. Do you think MacKinnon is more likely to stay on a team that he has recently won a Cup with or is at least willing to go for it, or a team that plays it safe, never making the big splash and just falling short? (ala Hurricanes w/Francis). Answer seems pretty obvious. There's enough young NHL talent in the lineup that trading Helleson/Barron/Olausson etc will not have any bearing on Nate's future in an Avs sweater. The biggest selling point is that he's got one of the best dmen of all time feeding him the puck every game for the rest of his time here.

Reactions: Bender and Iceberg

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sakic is on record basically saying it's Stanley Cup or bust for this team. Do you think MacKinnon is more likely to stay on a team that he has recently won a Cup with or is at least willing to go for it, or a team that plays it safe, never making the big splash and just falling short? (ala Hurricanes w/Francis). Answer seems pretty obvious. There's enough young NHL talent in the lineup that trading Helleson/Barron/Olausson etc will not have any bearing on Nate's future in an Avs sweater. The biggest selling point is that he's got one of the best dmen of all time feeding him the puck every game for the rest of his time here.
To be fair he said that last year and brought in Nemeth and Soderberg...

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I don't see anyone suggesting to burn "EVERYTHING" on this year, nor do I think the trades I proposed would constitute anything close to that.

The trades I proposed can be summed up as:

In:
Giroux @50%
Clutterbuck @50%
Kulak (if there's doubt about Byram's health at the deadline)
3rd​

Out:
Compher
Jost
1st
Helleson
4th
The picks are a wash and Compher and Jost can easily be replaced via free agency given their respective caphits and on-ice impacts. A 1st and Helleson would certainly hurt to lose but at some point you have to shoot your shot to try to go for a cup, and there's also no guarantee that those assets turn into impact NHL'ers if we were to keep them (see Kaut, Bowers, Bleackley, Hishon, Meloche, Morrison, Greer, etc). The trades I suggested (or something along those lines) would fill all the biggest holes and needs on the roster for this cup run, while still allowing us to keep four of our top 5 prospects going forwards (i.e. Barron, Behrens, Olausson, and Ranta). So how exactly does that constitute "burning everything on this year"?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't see anyone suggesting to burn "EVERYTHING" on this year, nor do I think the trades I proposed would constitute anything close to that.

In:
Giroux @50%
Clutterbuck @50%
3rd​

Out:
Compher
Jost
1st
Helleson
4th
The picks are a wash and Compher and Jost can easily be replaced via free agency given their respective caphits and on-ice impacts. A 1st and Helleson would certainly hurt to lose but at some point you have to shoot your shot to try to go for a cup, and there's also no guarantee that those assets turn into impact NHL'ers if we were to keep them (see Kaut, Bowers, Bleackley, Hishon, Meloche, Morrison, Greer, etc). The trades I suggested (or something along those lines) would fill all the biggest holes and needs on the roster for this cup run, while still allowing us to keep four of our top 5 prospects going forwards (i.e. Barron, Behrens, Olausson, and Ranta). So how exactly does that constitute "burning everything on this year"?
Feel free to dream, I can't stop you from fantasizing about an ideal lineup. I'm just saying you're very likely going to be extremely disappointed once the deadline has passed if you think that's a realistic outcome.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
When you disable salary cap in NHL 22, you can do amazing things to your roster

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

In:
Giroux @50%
Clutterbuck @50%
3rd​

Out:
Compher
Jost
1st
Helleson
4th

Keep Helleson, trade Barron.

Barron is already signed making him a sure thing. Helleson does not have to sign with the Flyers if we trade him for Giroux. Or we could trade Helleson's rights then sun him as a FA out of college.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Feel free to dream, I can't stop you from fantasizing about an ideal lineup. I'm just saying you're very likely going to be extremely disappointed once the deadline has passed if you think that's a realistic outcome.
I'm not expecting Sakic to do exactly what I suggested. Giroux would be a spectacular addition but it's not very realistic given Sakic's history at the deadline.

I'd be relatively pleased if all he did was bolster the bottom 6 with a couple of savvy additions, along with a Dman if Byram isn't good to go. For example, something like Lehkonen and Clutterbuck would be a tidy deadline as far as I'm concerned. Not perfect, but tidy, and would improve both the 3rd and 4th lines along with the PK.

Landeskog -- Mackinnon -- Rantanen
Nichuskin ------ Kadri -------- Burakovsky
Lehkonen ----- Newhook --- O'Connor
Clutterbuck ----- Jost -------- Compher/NAK/Helm/MacDermid/Maltsev

Toews -- Makar
Byram -- Girard
Murray -- EJ
JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events