2021-2022 Roster Speculation Thread, pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Assuming my favorite scenario of a vegas trade with Krebs...

Our center spine is going to be oh so very young, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

Skinner Cozens <R.Smith>
Asplund Mittelstadt Olofsson
Bjork <Krebs> Ruotsalainen
Girgensons Hinostroza Thompson
Caggiula Okposo

I'm also trusting they'll waive Eakin.

If they waive Eakin then I think it shows KA increasing autonomy. I just sense that Pegula doesn't want to pay people big money not to play for him anymore.

There are small recent examples of them waiving players like Scott Wilson, JS Dea and CJ Smith that were on 1 way contracts, but it just doesn't convice me they will do that with Eakin.

I'm all for playing <Krebs> as a center in the AHL.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If they waive Eakin then I think it shows KA increasing autonomy. I just sense that Pegula doesn't want to pay people big money not to play for him anymore.

There are small recent examples of them waiving players like Scott Wilson, JS Dea and CJ Smith that were on 1 way contracts, but it just doesn't convice me they will do that with Eakin.

I'm all for playing <Krebs> as a center in the AHL.
If you somehow got conned into paying someone to stab you in the face with a fork why not just give him the money to do something else and not stab you in the face with a fork? Money is being spent either way, sending Eakin to the AHL is addition by subtraction.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If you somehow got conned into paying someone to stab you in the face with a fork why not just give him the money to do something else and not stab you in the face with a fork? Money is being spent either way, sending Eakin to the AHL is addition by subtraction.
True. Then why didn't it happen last season?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

My overall sense is that this is a "bottom line" year, i.e. it'll be about the total dollars spent rather than where a player is playing. I doubt very much Eakin playing in the minors is going to represent much, if any, sign of extra autonomy. To me, the only think that would signal Pegula buy in would be a literal significant and sizable investment is bringing the front office staffing/scouting to on par with other NHL teams and an injection of actual real salary to the NHL team. Until that happens, the Pegula's budget mandate is the ruling factor here. My guess is that Kevyn probably has a good deal of autonomy....as long as he doesn't spend over whatever his allowance is.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If trading Risto and Jack (eventually) didn't prove that Adams has increased autonomy, nothing will.

I'm not sure why trading a pending UFA who doesn't want to re-sign for an overpayment and a disgruntled player who is making the internal spat over a medical procedure a matter of public record any sort of autonomy.

This plan was set into motion before well before the expansion draft began with the Pegula's stamp of approval. The big factor here is they are moving out 20M+ in salary for next year. Obviously the net won't be that much as the Eichel deal will likely have some salary coming back, but still, everything since Adams was hired was about cutting costs. Last years spending and failure appears to be last straw for the Pegula's. They thought they would contend for the cup....they finished dead last. I think every move from here on out will be viewed through the lens of ROI.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Jokiharju is the kind of player I'd gamble on and try to get signed up long term at a clip you expect to be a value deal in a few years. 6 years, ~$3.5m AAV.

I suspect they'll go with the bridge deal, however, which is fair.
They really should try to lock him in to a reasonable long term deal, that works for both sides. He seems to like it here, but who knows? I think you hit the nail on the head for what the Sabres should do.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
They really should try to lock him in to a reasonable long term deal, that works for both sides. He seems to like it here, but who knows? I think you hit the nail on the head for what the Sabres should do.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if both sides are thinking bridge with Joker. Sabres are thinking it due to Joker's hot-and-cold nature the last two years. Henri's side is banking on himself.

I think we see a 2 or 3 year deal in the $2-3M AAV range.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Joker has only looked good playing with Scandella or Dahlin as his partner. I wouldn't make a long term commitment yet. Low scoring defensemen generally aren't very expensive even if they do become very good.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Joker also has never had a season close to what Nurse did last season.

Thank god. Imagine a 22 year old Joker doing what Nurse did at 25.

nurse had 15 goals and was almost a .5 PPG defenseman. Not really a low scoring defenseman

Last season. Nurse isn’t a dman known for offense, going back to his days here in the Soo. Otherwise he wouldn’t have been paired with every offensive dman the Greyhounds had. Although I will give you a point on his goals, because he should have used his shot more.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Thank god. Imagine a 22 year old Joker doing what Nurse did at 25.

I'm not the one trying to compare the two of them. It was a weird comparison from the start.

If Jokiharju has some seasons like that, then he will get a contract more then he will earn more than a bridge.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I'm not the one trying to compare the two of them. It was a weird comparison from the start.

If Jokiharju has some seasons like that, then he will get a contract more then he will earn more than a bridge.

If I’m Adams, I sign Joker to a Mayfield contract (or cheaper) and hope I get a Nurse contract value. Regardless you need to hope that his contract becomes a steal instead of an overpayment.

Ideally, he gets that “prime Goligoski” value, which I think is where Joker’s ceiling is.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think I'm firmly in bridge for Joker after being stuck with Risto's contract for 5 out of the 6 years he signed for.

2-3 years, 2 to 2.5 per.

Reactions: Zman5778
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad