Rumor: 2021-2022 Official Boston Bruins Rumors and Roster Proposal Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Colour me surprised:

Among teams likely to qualify for the playoffs, the Nashville Predators are the top hitting team with 1,409. They are second behind the Ottawa Senators. The Boston Bruins (1,355) are fourth and the Pittsburgh Penguins (1,333) are fifth. The Rangers (1,318) are sixth, followed by the Lightning (1,298) and Panthers (1,283).

There is definitely a disconnect between Joe Bruins fan and the rest of the hockey world.

Bruins defense sucks!
-Stats say they're the best defensive team in the league.

Bruins team is soft!
-Stats say they're the 4th most active hitting team in the league.

1110-NHL-Winter-Classic-SW-5_20100101142320_0_0.vresize.1024.576.high.35.JPG

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
There is definitely a disconnect between Joe Bruins fan and the rest of the hockey world.

Bruins defense sucks!
-Stats say they're the best defensive team in the league.

Bruins team is soft!
-Stats say they're the 4th most active hitting team in the league.

1110-NHL-Winter-Classic-SW-5_20100101142320_0_0.vresize.1024.576.high.35.JPG
To be fair, no one should pay attention to the hits stat. Ever.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
SJ knows they're out.

There is little to no movement because of the salary cap. For the buyers, every day they wait equals more money they have to spend. And for the sellers, every day they wait means more teams can afford their players.

I actually think prices are higher before the deadline, and prices come down the closer you get to the clock striking zero and time running out. I think that's why we see such a premium for the 3 or 4 players that get traded before D-day. Team X knows exactly who they want and are willing to pay the higher asking price now to ensure they get their man.
I found this post in the GDT persuasive on the idea that SJ does not know they are out:
E3930F78-7122-4EED-AFCA-343FA1C65F44.jpeg

Reactions: UConn126

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I think about it like, you know it’s wrong, but it’s wrong for everyone. So while the count may be off, the order of teams probably wouldn’t change much.

Of course, it doesn’t distinguish between a Lucic hit and a Heinen hit, so there’s that element missing too.

And it misses a lot of the heavy hits that come right after a player has passed it off but still need to count when you are assessing the physicality of a team.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
SJ knows they're out.

There is little to no movement because of the salary cap. For the buyers, every day they wait equals more money they have to spend. And for the sellers, every day they wait means more teams can afford their players.

I actually think prices are higher before the deadline, and prices come down the closer you get to the clock striking zero and time running out. I think that's why we see such a premium for the 3 or 4 players that get traded before D-day. Team X knows exactly who they want and are willing to pay the higher asking price now to ensure they get their man.

Good example of why the salary cap is so unnecessarily complicated, IMO.

If it were up to me (for arguments sake) say the cap was 100 million.

Screw daily calculations….at no point in the season can you have a roster whose total season salary exceeds 100 million combined.

You’re at 100 million and a 2 million player gets injured, you can call up a guy who makes less than 2 million.

You’re at 95 million….you can trade a guy making 3 million for a guy (or guys) making 8 million.

I’d also allow teams to carry over up to 5 million from one season to the next —-never to exceed 105 million.

Bonuses, count pro-rated over the life of the deal.

3 year deal for 2 million per year with a 3 million dollar signing bonus = 3 million cap hit.

Player makes 3 million per year with a $500k bonus for winning the Hart….better leave $500k cushion.

Penalties….for every dollar you end up spending over the cap, your cap decreases 5x that much the following season.

Go over the cap by 1 million…next years cap number is 95 million.
(5 million penalty)

I’m sure there are pitfalls to this….but I’m tired of the garbage TB and LV are pulling.

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad