Rumor: 2021-2022 Official Boston Bruins Rumors and Roster Proposal Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I'm just going to throw the name Anton Stralman out there. Still playing 20+ minutes at night for Yotes and has playoff experience. We need RHD depth for the "stretch" however long that may be.

Moore and a 3rd? You have to think they're going to use their last retention spot on Kessel so not many contenders are going to be able to fit in his cap hit as is. Gives us some cap space for next year and an upgrade on Clifton. Yotes need players to reach the cap floor.

Basically a similar TML move but also very Sweenyish.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
A couple people brought up the question of whether the goalie situation is an actual problem or not. It absolutely is, but totally doesn't look like for one specific reason - if you go back and look at the wins and losses, you'll see a ton of 1-2 goal wins and a bunch of games where they had their doors blown off in losses. That equalized a bit after the January surge, but appears to be back to the same pattern seen pretty much the whole season.

When you are getting beat by a bushel or eeking out wins because you can't score, it's hard to say the goalies are the problem - mostly because they aren't the main problem at all. But come playoff time, a leaky goalie is pretty much instant elimination.

So, if your goal is to make the playoffs, the position isn't that big a deal. If you plan on winning, it's a massive problem.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The problem is they need help everywhere. Goalies can be covered by a good team system. Vice versa, a good goalie can steal games for a team. They not trading for a goalie. For them to make an impact trade, they have to trade the top two prospects they have along with their first rounder. Pretty much going for it with the repercussion of a rebuild starting in the off season.

Reactions: Gordoff and bp13

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm just going to throw the name Anton Stralman out there. Still playing 20+ minutes at night for Yotes and has playoff experience. We need RHD depth for the "stretch" however long that may be.

Moore and a 3rd? You have to think they're going to use their last retention spot on Kessel so not many contenders are going to be able to fit in his cap hit as is. Gives us some cap space for next year and an upgrade on Clifton. Yotes need players to reach the cap floor.

Basically a similar TML move but also very Sweenyish.

I'll pass.

Reactions: CellyHard

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
I’d bring up Zach and keep him up. Let him play for fs. It’s time to sell Foligno and a few others and get some picks while letting the kids play. Yes, there will be some mistakes but show them some love and let them build.

We’re not winning the cup this year anyways so it’s time to rebuild a little bit with the kids

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
28 days to March 21

28days-later-hello.gif

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
A couple people brought up the question of whether the goalie situation is an actual problem or not. It absolutely is, but totally doesn't look like for one specific reason - if you go back and look at the wins and losses, you'll see a ton of 1-2 goal wins and a bunch of games where they had their doors blown off in losses. That equalized a bit after the January surge, but appears to be back to the same pattern seen pretty much the whole season.

When you are getting beat by a bushel or eeking out wins because you can't score, it's hard to say the goalies are the problem - mostly because they aren't the main problem at all. But come playoff time, a leaky goalie is pretty much instant elimination.

So, if your goal is to make the playoffs, the position isn't that big a deal. If you plan on winning, it's a massive problem.

I agree with what you are saying here. But does Ullmark/Swayman at their best get us past Carolina/Florida/Tampa?

I will need convincing.

To me, our focus should be shoring up other areas. IMO that is the best use of our resources for TDL.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
I agree with what you are saying here. But does Ullmark/Swayman at their best get us past Carolina/Florida/Tampa?

I will need convincing.

To me, our focus should be shoring up other areas. IMO that is the best use of our resources for TDL.
It’s better to SELL at this point than to try and acquire bits and pieces which won’t be enough anyways

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I will need convincing.

Hmmm- At their best either is letting in 2 goals. The issue is whether this team, at the present moment, can reliably get 3 or 4. I agree with shoring up other areas. Both goalies to me have shown they can do a job in there. If they have a bad night, sure, but having several bad nights strung together has not been an issue for either, at least not since early in the season.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I’d bring up Zach and keep him up. Let him play for fs. It’s time to sell Foligno and a few others and get some picks while letting the kids play. Yes, there will be some mistakes but show them some love and let them build.

We’re not winning the cup this year anyways so it’s time to rebuild a little bit with the kids

He requested a trade.

So no, the bridge is now burnt with management I assume.

Besides, I don't think Seny wants to come up to the NHL. Every time he gets a look he gets injured within 6 days.
Not going to help him get moved elsewhere if he is injured.

His best bet is to perform well in the AHL and make a case for being a throw-in for any March 21st deal.

Reactions: Gordoff

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
It’s better to SELL at this point than to try and acquire bits and pieces which won’t be enough anyways

I agree, personally. But anything can happen in the playoffs. Upsets are the norm, just ask Toronto.

But that's not the real reason. Papa Jacobs needs playoff revenue more than anything this season.
That alone means we will be making "hockey trades" to patch the leaks.

Brian Rolston and Greg Zanon TDL season to me.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Hmmm- At their best either is letting in 2 goals. The issue is whether this team, at the present moment, can reliably get 3 or 4. I agree with shoring up other areas. Both goalies to me have shown they can do a job in there. If they have a bad night, sure, but having several bad nights strung together has not been an issue for either, at least not since early in the season.

I think the team would be better served in the postseason by adding some grit, forward scoring, and depth defense.
I expect we will get all three on the cheap by the end of next month.

I also expect this board to explode in a firestorm and this thread to hit XXL by the draft.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

You're speaking my language This is why people try to isolate goalie performance. I think we are starting to see a bit of an emergence from Jeremy Swayman that could solve this but Ullmark does look like he could be an issue. GSAE is a stat developed by an xG model and it shows players who outperform the xG model. A good example is Timmy in 2011 had 39.4 GSAE, which is the best number since the tracking data existed. This year Shesterkin is 1st @ 28.5 GSAE and Grubauer is the worst at -26.8. Big Yikes Grubaer.

For the year this is our tandem:

Swayman: 9.7 GSAE
Ullmark: -3.9 GSAE
Rask - -4.4 GSAE

Swayman has done some work lately:

2/19 vs Ottawa - 1.22 GSAE
2.15 vs NYR - 1.74 GSAE
2/12 vs Ottawa - 3.21 GSAE

Those games followed his first game back from the all star break against Pitt where he was quite bad. The bad thing is that neither Ottawa or NYR are particularly good 5v5 but I'm hopeful it's a sign that Swayman is finding himself.

Ullmark, on the other hand, is as inconsistent as it comes. If he's the guy in the playoffs, it will be on the D to limit the chances.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
I agree, personally. But anything can happen in the playoffs. Upsets are the norm, just ask Toronto.

But that's not the real reason. Papa Jacobs needs playoff revenue more than anything this season.
That alone means we will be making "hockey trades" to patch the leaks.

Brian Rolston and Greg Zanon TDL season to me.
Sacrifice the future for two home playoff games revenue?

I think not but that’s just me. We’ll see what happens so mark this post.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

You aren't getting picks for Foligno, you're giving them up for someone to take him.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
So I agree 100%. This team is not advancing past a round at most. Further, with Bergeron likely done, the near future looks almost as bleak as the mid and long term future. It would be a perfect time to try to sell.

That said, I think there’s zero chance we see that happen. I bet we see a couple of minor moves to patch major holes, I bet DS keeps the 1st because he ultimately knows how this season will end, and we remain a competitive, occasionally interesting, also ran.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
The answer to this question may not be good for my sanity, but someone on twitter claims that the Bruins once turned down Landeskog for Carlo. True, false, or somewhere in between?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad