NHL 2021-2022 NHL Out of Town Thread VI - RIP Clark Gillies (No Covid debates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He's going to tear it up. Like absolutely tear it up.

I don't like him, I think he's an absolute donkey, but he's good.
Agreed he’s a great player, but it doesn’t fix the ultimate problem with the team. They need goaltending and to be better defensively and he stinks defensively and takes a ton of penalties.

5CE6679A-9CB2-4D7F-9AE9-BE3CB395C9C0.jpeg

Their culture is poor, they don’t commit to defense as a team because they watch their two leaders play zero defense.

They’re never gonna win playing that way, you’re right this guys gonna tear that locker room up when the same issues continue with him there acting like an asshole.

It’ll likely improve temporarily, they’ll have better regular season success with him but that’s about it.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Agreed he’s a great player, but it doesn’t fix the ultimate problem with the team. They need goaltending and to be better defensively and he stinks defensively and takes a ton of penalties.

View attachment 502540

Their culture is poor, they don’t commit to defense as a team because they watch their two leaders play zero defense.

They’re never gonna win playing that way, you’re right this guys gonna tear that locker room up when the same issues continue with him there acting like an asshole.

It’ll likely improve temporarily, they’ll have better regular season success with him but that’s about it.

Here's something I've wondered for a while: why do the Canadian teams suck defensively? I mean it's not all bad - the Leafs' defense is ok, Calgary's put together a solid D group this year, and what the Habs cobbled together for their playoff run last season was briefly respectable, but in general there is no Canadian team with a legitimately great defense and there hasn't been for a long time. It's now over 28 years since a team from north of the border won the Cup, so you think someone would eventually put 2 and 2 together and work out one of the obvious reasons why that is so. But it seems not.

Is it cultural to the way hockey is played there, something that's become so normal no-one can see the problem, purely coincidental that the GMs of the Canadian teams are mostly offensively minded, or something else? I note too that with the obvious exception of Makar and whatever's left of Shea Weber, most of the league's current best defenders are either American or European, which rather leans towards it being a sports-cultural thing.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
How the hell can Arizona afford to pay its players if they're using a 5000 seat arena??? The ticket prices would be absurd and as it is nobody wants to watch them play. :dunno:

You think they rely on ticket sales? They constant in the bottom of attendance and their area is mostly empty. It's probably also cheaper to rent/lease then the massive place they play in now

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
You think they rely on ticket sales? They constant in the bottom of attendance and their area is mostly empty. It's probably also cheaper to rent/lease then the massive place they play in now

It's my understanding that most teams do and I don't think the TV deal is big enough so that a team could rely on it for the bulk of their revenue. Looks like the NHL would have to step in & assist the team until it can find a larger, permanent home? :dunno:

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Here's something I've wondered for a while: why do the Canadian teams suck defensively? I mean it's not all bad - the Leafs' defense is ok, Calgary's put together a solid D group this year, and what the Habs cobbled together for their playoff run last season was briefly respectable, but in general there is no Canadian team with a legitimately great defense and there hasn't been for a long time. It's now over 28 years since a team from north of the border won the Cup, so you think someone would eventually put 2 and 2 together and work out one of the obvious reasons why that is so. But it seems not.

Is it cultural to the way hockey is played there, something that's become so normal no-one can see the problem, purely coincidental that the GMs of the Canadian teams are mostly offensively minded, or something else? I note too that with the obvious exception of Makar and whatever's left of Shea Weber, most of the league's current best defenders are either American or European, which rather leans towards it being a sports-cultural thing.
Yeah I don’t even know what the deal is. Calgary is definitely an exception, they put focus on defense and hired a coach that respects team defense in Suter.

I thought that Habs defense was pretty well built last year in the playoffs, not sustainable and expensive as hell with Weber but overall pretty good and built for playoff hockey. Now they’re just injured to shit and playing infront of backup goalies.

The Leafs have improved their team defense quite a bit, Wonder Boy put more of a focus on two way bottom 6 forwards. Their defense is still sort of offense first but the goaltending has improved so much it hasn’t mattered much.

Vancouver has been pretty decent defensively they just haven’t been able to score enough goals.

Oilers are just built so top heavy and rely way too heavily on PP scoring. These are the same issues they’ve had for a while and Holland brings in two defensive liabilities in Ceci and Keith, trades Ethan Bear who was better defensively and doesn’t bring in a goaltender. Now he’s bringing in Kane who has no interest in team defense and is a massive asshole lol.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It's my understanding that most teams do and I don't think the TV deal is big enough so that a team could rely on it for the bulk of their revenue. Looks like the NHL would have to step in & assist the team until it can find a larger, permanent home? :dunno:

Put it this way, it's estimated that the Yotes lost $33 million last year and have lost just over $140 million in the last 10yrs.

Going to a rink that hold 5k people is the least of their worries. Bettman needs to put his ego aside and end the disaster in the desert

Reactions: The National

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
How the hell can Arizona afford to pay its players if they're using a 5000 seat arena??? The ticket prices would be absurd and as it is nobody wants to watch them play. :dunno:

They rely on revenue sharing. Without the revenue from other teams propping them up, they'd have folded a long time ago.

Reactions: Gee Wally and BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Put it this way, it's estimated that the Yotes lost $33 million last year and have lost just over $140 million in the last 10yrs.

Going to a rink that hold 5k people is the least of their worries. Bettman needs to put his ego aside and end the disaster in the desert

I agree.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Cannon fired!!! Brody Jenner gets his 2nd goal of the game, Blue Jackets 4-2. Four straight goals by the Jackets now.

Oh and a bad turnover by defending Norris Trophy winner Adam Fox made it possible :eyeroll:

Reactions: CDJ and TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad