NHL 2021-2022 NHL Out of Town Thread IV - Eichel traded to Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
its a business. Theres no feelings involved.
Just a ledger.
What will people? Thats what you charge.

Unless you make a rule specifically for water.

Quite frankly Wally, I know how capitalism works and “business”. Again, what would be the problem in setting a rule for water and water only? Because it’s you know…water. That’s the question I’m looking to have answered.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

It’s in a place where you have no option to get water for three straight hours other than paying nine bucks.

I guess people could drink out of the sink in the bathroom.

What would be the harm in setting a limit on the profit margin on water in a closed sporting event?
Reminds me of a club called the Sting in New Britain CT back in the day. They shut off the cold water in the bathrooms so folks would have to buy it at the bar.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Reminds me of a club called the Sting in New Britain CT back in the day. They shut off the cold water in the bathrooms so folks would have to buy it at the bar.

Jeez.

That’s another thing. Isn’t it actually illegal to charge for tap water? Or maybe it was? Maybe that was when I lived in Vermont? I swear there is something.

Which makes it that much crazier that sporting events/concession owners can get away with price gouging on water like they do.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Unless you make a rule specifically for water.

Quite frankly Wally, I know how capitalism works and “business”. Again, what would be the problem in setting a rule for water and water only? Because it’s you know…water. That’s the question I’m looking to have answered.

water is a commodity. It would affect the bottom line.
Whether its water, popcon, or anything else.
You want free water? Go use mens room.
You dont like that? Dont go.
Nobody is being forced. Not a single soul.
Chug a litre before going in. Problem solved.
I have yet to hear of anyone succumbing to dehydration there.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009

It’s in a place where you have no option to get water for three straight hours other than paying nine bucks.

I guess people could drink out of the sink in the bathroom.

What would be the harm in setting a limit on the profit margin on water in a closed sporting event?

You're allowed to bring in an empty non glass clear water bottle to use in the water bottle refilling stations (no charge) around the arena. Don't know how hygienic it would be though.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
water is a commodity. It would affect the bottom line.
Whether its water, popcon, or anything else.
You want free water? Go use mens room.
You dont like that? Dont go.
Nobody is being forced. Not a single soul.
Chug a litre before going in. Problem solved.
I have yet to hear of anyone succumbing to dehydration there.

How many times are you going to do this? God forbid you take a shot at the actual question I am posing.

It’s a business. But it’s not beer. It’s not popcorn. It’s not candy. It’s not a shirt from the pro shop. It’s the substance most essential to human life. What is the issue in telling owners they can only bring in 4 bucks a bottle instead of 8.5 to make it more accessible to people?

I don’t need another explanation of capitalism designed for a second grader. Just explain to me why it is that you’re so against telling millionaires/billionaires they can’t price gouge on water? And only water.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
How many times are you going to do this? God forbid you take a shot at the actual question I am posing.

It’s a business. But it’s not beer. It’s not popcorn. It’s not candy. It’s not a shirt from the pro shop. It’s the substance most essential to human life. What is the issue in telling owners they can only bring in 4 bucks a bottle instead of 8.5 to make it more accessible to people?

I don’t need another explanation of capitalism designed for a second grader. Just explain to me why it is that you’re so against telling millionaires/billionaires they can’t price gouge on water? And only water.

as many times as you ask.
Its a raw material the vendor paid for. His right to put whatever price on he wants. Whether its water or anything else. Just water doesnt matter.Period.

You dont like it? Lump it. Thats life. Dont go.

Im against telling any independent vendor what they can charge in a voluntary situation. Literally not essential to the three hours you are there. You can hydrate first. You can drink outta the mens room.
Dont make it out to be the Sahara.It makes zero sense.

Ask again. Ill cut and paste.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
as many times as you ask.
Its a raw material the vendor paid for. His right to put whatever price on he wants. Whether its water or anything else. Just water doesnt matter.Period.

You dont like it? Lump it. Thats life. Dont go.

Im against telling any independent vendor what they can charge in a voluntary situation. Literally not essential to the three hours you are there. You can hydrate first. You can drink outta the mens room.
Dont make it out to be the Sahara.It makes zero sense.

Ask again. Ill cut and paste.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly disagree. I guess that’s obvious at this point.

There are exceptions in business. For the good of patrons that doesn’t benefit the owners. Emergency exits. Regulations on how steep stairs can be. Making the business liable for overserving people. On and on.

Obviously we are up against some sort of economical difference of opinion between us, but I do find it disappointing that you could look at something as so cut and dry that would literally not hurt a single person and would benefit many. You’re seemingly applying the slippery slope theory. But the truth is that this is about water because it’s water. Any other product or commodity, I’m with you.

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Nick Ritchie's season stats are thoroughly amusing...18 GP, 0g / 2a, -4....all on a team that has won 9 of 10. Half the people on this board couldn't have done worse in his place.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Nick Ritchie's season stats are thoroughly amusing...18 GP, 0g / 2a, -4....all on a team that has won 9 of 10. Half the people on this board couldn't have done worse in his place.
His adv. stats are even worse, he’s second lowest in NHL in goals above expected.

CEAD52-C6-B781-4322-B6-D3-3-ACFF8-C1-D979.jpg

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Well I did a 7 team parlay tonight and picked the Pens, Flames, Panthers, Blue Jackets, Oilers, lightning, and Vegas to win. I’m 6 for 7 so far. if the knights can just hold on for the third period I’ll hit them all.

Reactions: Fenway

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

How does an entire defense let a guy just cruise on by.... and twice already this season

Yes McDavid is crazy good, but the defense is also less than stellar.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Just watched the Canes beat the Ducks and it reminded me to check in on $6 million man Jesperi Kotkaniemi, despite him spending most of the game being basically invisible, and see how the offer sheet steal is working out for Carolina.

He's playing 4C, has 2G 1A, and is -1. With the pretty dominant season the Canes are having so far they only have 3 players who are in the negative on plus/minus, and he's one of them. The advanced stats actually aren't too bad, and I don't want to make too much of a judgment on a guy I've probably only watched 3 or so times this year. But to me he looks like the same player who was struggling in Montreal - got skills and shows flashes of excellence but often finds the grind and physicality of the NHL difficult to handle - and clearly he's not delivering anywhere near what he's being paid.

Now I know that's NOT the point, and Carolina would never have expected that he would, and they can offload him at the end of the season easy enough. But here's the thing. This is a legit contending team this year. Talent and speed to burn, improved goalie situation, and a defense that's doing far better than it's paper strength might suggest. The biggest questions marks for me though are do they have enough grit and physical presence to survive and thrive through a long playoff run, and does that D need a boost to really hold up against the best teams? Perhaps they'll be fine anyway, or perhaps they'll trade in what (if anything) they need. But having $6 mil tied to a so-so 4th liner still can't be ideal, and must make things that little bit more difficult for them. Even if they bury Kotkaniemi in the AHL there'll still be a hefty cap hit. So it's going to be really interesting to see if this whole offer sheet business hurts them come the end of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: MustardStew

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Ritchie is a scrub. I wanted to like him just as much as anyone else, but that hope passed long before he took off a Bruins sweater.

The outright denial by so many on this board regarding his constant lack of positive contribution on the ice is truly puzzling to me. I predicted he’d be hated by Toronto fans within the first handful of games (despite the initially jovial response to his signing) and I’ve never felt safer about any prediction I’ve made in my 13 years frequenting the board

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

How does an entire defense let a guy just cruise on by.... and twice already this season

Yes McDavid is crazy good, but the defense is also less than stellar.

The pace is just too much. If you can’t even get to half the speed of the oncoming forward while backing up, it’s a huge problem. The fact that it’s happened twice should act as confirmation as to how much in his own league this guy is.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Just watched the Canes beat the Ducks and it reminded me to check in on $6 million man Jesperi Kotkaniemi, despite him spending most of the game being basically invisible, and how the offer sheet steal is working out for Carolina.

He's playing 4C, has 2G 1A, and is -1. With the pretty dominant season the Canes are having so far they only have 3 players who are in the negative on plus/minus, and he's one of them. The advanced stats actually aren't too bad, and I don't want to make too much of a judgment on a guy I've probably only watched 3 or so times this year. But to me he looks like the same player who was struggling in Montreal - got skills and shows flashes of excellence but often finds the grind and physicality of the NHL difficult to handle - and clearly he's not delivering anywhere near what he's being paid.

Now I know that's NOT the point, and Carolina would never have expected that he would, and they can offload him at the end of the season easy enough. But here's the thing. This is a legit contending team this year. Talent and speed to burn, improved goalie situation, and a defense that's doing far better than it's paper strength might suggest. The biggest questions marks for me though are do they have enough grit and physical presence to survive and thrive through a long playoff run, and does that D need a boost to really hold up against the best teams? Perhaps they'll be fine anyway, or perhaps they'll trade in what (if anything) they need. But having $6 mil tied to a so-so 4th liner still can't be ideal, and must make things that little bit more difficult for them. Even if they bury Kotkaniemi in the AHL there'll still be a hefty cap hit. So it's going to be really interesting to see if this whole offer sheet business hurts them come the end of the season.

Given the shit that Canes management and ownership pulls to draw attention to themselves, I really do think the move was purely trolling. As absurd as that is considering this is a real business with millions at stake.

It got tons of attention and was funny for awhile, so I think it accomplished the short term goal. But when it comes down to purely business, throwing away draft picks and 6 million dollars for what is and was a player that has proven next to nothing in this league…it was really unlikely it wouldn’t go south IMO.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad