Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
cut.jpg

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I was looking at Calgary's roster ... I didn't realize Markstrom was 6'6"; I knew Vladar was 6'5". That's two very large goalies.

Reactions: BMC and TCB

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
feels gross to scoff at a player being injured but it's really hard not to see Tampa as the team that cried wolf.

anyone know how cap space accrual is affected by LTIR? Do they accrue more deadline cap space by having Kucherov on LTIR?

Reactions: Alicat

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
feels gross to scoff at a player being injured but it's really hard not to see Tampa as the team that cried wolf.

anyone know how cap space accrual is affected by LTIR? Do they accrue more deadline cap space by having Kucherov on LTIR?

I must confess to feeling some skepticism myself. Nothing wrong with that, TB does not deserve the benefit of the doubt after the bullshit they have pulled with LTIR in the past.

If Kucherov really is injured I wish him a complete recovery.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If and I say if Kucherov is out of an extended period, I can see the lightning knocking on Krejci door.

Last edited:

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

@DominicT or someone else better at the cap could probably give you a better, more in depth explanation, but the short answer is sort of.

They gain LTIR pool money based on cap hit. They don't accrue extra from his cap hit, but would still accrue on unused cap.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I love watching the Palat - Point- Kucherov line

spectacular line

One thing to watch is before trade deadline they put Stamkos or McDonagh on LTIR so they can trade for a couple of UFA players who will expand their depth and then activate whoever they put on LTIR for playoffs

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I think Kucherovs hip surgery was real
I don't think anyone ever discounted the validity of it.

It's the fact that they waited until essentially camp to get it done knowing he faced 6 months of recovery, when they were facing cap issues, so they could bring him back for the playoffs and not have to worry about the cap.

It's smart from TB no doubt, but it's a stupid loophole/oversight with the LTIR and cap itself that doesn't force teams to be cap compliant in the playoffs.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I don't think anyone ever discounted the validity of it.

It's the fact that they waited until essentially camp to get it done knowing he faced 6 months of recovery, when they were facing cap issues, so they could bring him back for the playoffs and not have to worry about the cap.

It's smart from TB no doubt, but it's a stupid loophole/oversight with the LTIR and cap itself that doesn't force teams to be cap compliant in the playoffs.

I think they did whats in the best interest of the player, not the cap. Signing up your talent for season ending surgeries to avoid cap implications seems very unrealistic to me.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I think they did whats in the best interest of the player, not the cap. Signing up your talent for season ending surgeries to avoid cap implications seems very unrealistic to me.
They knew all off-season is my point, it's been discussed.

Waiting until training camp to maximize the recovery time/benefit of LTIR for an unavoidable surgery is what people took issue with.

Again, it's shrewd, but it's obvious why people took exception to it.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
They knew all off-season is my point, it's been discussed.

Waiting until training camp to maximize the recovery time/benefit of LTIR for an unavoidable surgery is what people took issue with.

Again, it's shrewd, but it's obvious why people took exception to it.

doubt he could have played with that hip if it needed surgery. I think the doctors know best who I assume are not thinking about the cap.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
doubt he could have played with that hip if it needed surgery. I think the doctors know best who I assume are not thinking about the cap.
again, nobody is suggesting he didn't need surgery or could have played with it. the question is why not get the surgery in July instead of at the start of the season and then missing regular season games. some people think they waited so they could benefit from the extra time on LTIR.

Reactions: SPB2776 and BMC

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
again, nobody is suggesting he didn't need surgery or could have played with it. the question is why not get the surgery in July instead of at the start of the season and then missing regular season games. some people think they waited so they could benefit from the extra time on LTIR.

I think pitchers wait sometimes to get Tommy Johns, again I think he and his doctor probably evaluated all options with surgery being the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad