Prospect Info: 2020 Way-Too-Early Top 10 Draft Rankings

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I normally don't do this so early, because a lot changes by June and my research is not as comprehensive to this point as I like. So, don't hold me to anything if you disagree or I change some things later.

1) LW Alex Lafreniere, Rimouski QMJHL
2) C Quinton Byfield, Sudbury OHL
3) C Tim Stutzle, Manheim DEL
4) RD Jamie Drysdale, Erie OHL
5) G Yarolsav Askarov, SKA-Neva VHL
6) LW Cole Perfetti, Saginaw OHL
7) LW/RW Alexander Holtz, Djurgarden SHL
8) C Marco Rossi, Ottawa OHL
9) RW/LW Lucas Raymond, Frolunda SHL
10) LW Dylan Holloway, Wisconsin NCAA

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I normally don't do this so early, because a lot changes by June and my research is not as comprehensive to this point as I like. So, don't hold me to anything if you disagree or I change some things later.

I think you made a mistake. You actually have a goalie in your rankings :naughty:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

1. Interesting to see you put a goalie in your top ten with how I know you feel about ranking goalies :laugh:

2. Lafreniere’s injury wasn’t deemed severe enough to affect his draft spot?

3. As someone else said, where would you rank Drysdale with the last few top ranked D over the past few drafts.

4. If we end up with a top 15 pick from Arizona, who do you see around that area of the draft for us to target if we keep the pick and don’t trade it for help on D like I believe we may.

thanks STIs, I always love your write ups!

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Interesting you don't have Lundell in your top 10? what are your issues with him? I'm personally not a big fan of Perfetti...not enough to warrant having him higher than other guys (in the top 10).

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Would be nice to hear why Raymond is #9 and whats your opinion about Drysdale is he Byram level D prospect?

Drysdale may lack Byram's physicality, but he is extremely smart in the defensive zone and in no way lacks for competitiveness. I think the best comparable for Drysdale is not Byram, but rather Cale Makar.

As for Raymond, I certainly like him a ton -- I have him in the top 10. I'd also add that it's pretty close between 3-9 and then there's a bit of a drop-off at 10. I love his high-end combination of skating, hands, offensive acumen and compete level. He's also a good two-way player. I just don't see him as being as explosive a pure scorer as the other wingers in my top 8, Perfetti and Holtz; while he's not appreciably better than the remainder of my top 8 at more important positions -- centers Stutzle and Rossi, D Drysdale and G Askrov.

Reactions: My3Sons and Figgie

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Man a goalie is at 5? Figures no stud runaway d man as the #1

I always say I suck at scouting goaltenders, and I normally shy away from ranking them so highly. But the people I confer with in the draft-analysis world whom I trust have largely assured me that Askarov is even better than Spencer Knight was at this point last year and may be the best net minding prospect since Carey Price.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
1. Interesting to see you put a goalie in your top ten with how I know you feel about ranking goalies :laugh:

2. Lafreniere’s injury wasn’t deemed severe enough to affect his draft spot?

3. As someone else said, where would you rank Drysdale with the last few top ranked D over the past few drafts.

4. If we end up with a top 15 pick from Arizona, who do you see around that area of the draft for us to target if we keep the pick and don’t trade it for help on D like I believe we may.

thanks STIs, I always love your write ups!

1. Ugh, I know. I'm awful at goalies.

2. Not even in the slightest.

3. Hm, good question. I'd say for now a level below Rasmus Dahlin in 2018, but certainly on a par with Byram in 2019 and Makar/Heiskanen in 2017. Kid's going to be very, very good. I would not hesitate to take him #3 overall if I were the Devils.

4. Ideally -- and this is assuming the Devils do not win a lottery pick -- NJ will draft somewhere in the #4-#8 range. If Drysdale were available, I would grab him. The 2020 class is loaded with quality forwards, but not as strong depth-wise on the back end. Then, the Devils can take a F with the Arizona pick (or, perhaps, a goalie in Askarov). Some high end Fs who could be available in the mid-first round include LW Dylan Holloway, RW Rodion Amirov, C/LW Jan Mysak and C Mavrik Bourque.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Interesting you don't have Lundell in your top 10? what are your issues with him? I'm personally not a big fan of Perfetti...not enough to warrant having him higher than other guys (in the top 10).

I think Lundell is going to be a very proficient, two-way, middle six C, which is extremely valuable. But I do not see him as offensively dynamic as the players in my top 10. Conversely, Perfetti is, quite simply, going to score at any level -- his offensive game is simply electrifying.

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I always say I suck at scouting goaltenders, and I normally shy away from ranking them so highly. But the people I confer with in the draft-analysis world whom I trust have largely assured me that Askarov is even better than Spencer Knight was at this point last year and may be the best net minding prospect since Carey Price.

man honestly how do you pass up a talent assessment like that if your in that range to draft him. I know we have Blackwood but that’s a nice asset to have

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

Considering how many centers seem to end up as wings, I'm just curious if you see any of the centers projecting as wings at the NHL level.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Considering how many centers seem to end up as wings, I'm just curious if you see any of the centers projecting as wings at the NHL level.

Of @StevenToddIves 's top-10, I definitely see Rossi projecting as a winger long-term. Stutzle is a tougher call because he reminds me a bit of Sebastian Aho from the Canes in his play style...he could go either way honestly.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Byfield hasn’t really looked spectacular at all at the WJC ‘s . Think he will slide down some from the poor showing ? He does have an early birthday but as of now , Lafreniere has separated himself from Byfield big time in my opinion.
Kind of sucks for the Devils . There was a very slight chance that if the Devils don’t pick 1 overall , teams picking ahead of us might have drafted Byfield ahead of Lafreniere if they had a huge need for a center vs. winger .
No way that happens now as I can’t see a team passing Lafreniere over unless they trade down

If Lafreniere is off the board , would you guys take Byfield still if he’s still there or would you prefer someone like Stutzle , Drysdale , Holtz ?
I’m undecided now , used to think it was clear cut Lafreniere then Byfield for sure .

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Byfield hasn’t really looked spectacular at all at the WJC ‘s . Think he will slide down some from the poor showing ? He does have an early birthday but as of now , Lafreniere has separated himself from Byfield big time in my opinion.
Kind of sucks for the Devils . There was a very slight chance that if the Devils don’t pick 1 overall , teams picking ahead of us might have drafted Byfield ahead of Lafreniere if they had a huge need for a center vs. winger .
No way that happens now as I can’t see a team passing Lafreniere over unless they trade down

If Lafreniere is off the board , would you guys take Byfield still if he’s still there or would you prefer someone like Stutzle , Drysdale , Holtz ?
I’m undecided now , used to think it was clear cut Lafreniere then Byfield for sure .

This is just one international tournament with plenty of these guys seasons left to play. I bet rankings will move around a lot over the next few months, perhaps minus the top 2.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

if we’re picking at 2 OA, i’m trying to trade down to 4 or 5 for an extra second round pick. if no takers, i nab byfield at 2

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
if we’re picking at 2 OA, i’m trying to trade down to 4 or 5 for an extra second round pick. if no takers, i nab byfield at 2

Personally I don’t take a 2nd in place of allowing 2 or 3 other teams decide who we take (assuming your post means you have the 2-5 spots very close). Just take BPA on your teams board and go home happy.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

135ace

Mar 18, 2015

Trading down from 2OA to 4/5OA is worth another 1st, not a 2nd. And I'd honestly take Byfield over even an offer of 2OA for 5OA + 20 OA. He's just that good and clearly above the tier of guys behind him.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Think devils would trade down in that situation (Lafreniere gone and Byfield is still there ) ?
Already have Nico and Jack at C but I guess could move someone to the wing or ?? I still think BPA is the wise thing to do normally but is a little different in this circumstance

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Think devils would trade down in that situation (Lafreniere gone and Byfield is still there ) ?
Already have Nico and Jack at C but I guess could move someone to the wing or ?? I still think BPA is the wise thing to do normally but is a little different in this circumstance

Hard to say. For one thing, opinions on Byfield seem to be all over the place. For another, trades near the top of the draft are very rare now. GMs are risk averse. If you trade out of or into a top 5 slot and it doesn't work out, you will get killed.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

that’s what i’m saying. i’m all about BPA too, but if we can’t have lafreniere, it doesn’t make much sense to take a center. our top 2C’s are set in stone, i’d rather take drysdale and acquire another pick/prospect in the process.

but it’s still way too early to etch anything in stone, let’s see how the year plays out

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I have to do a lot more research but at this point I’m in the Drysdale camp if the Devils pick 3-6. As Steven mentioned, the pocket of the draft where we may have Arizona’s selection (if they miss playoffs) is more ripe with forwards than D-men. In my ideal world, the Devils come away with one of each without compromising the integrity of BPA.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I admittedly don't know a ton here yet, but we are devoid of top-end talent (1st line sort-of guy) on the RW, so I'd like to see one of those two picks go for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad