WJC: 2020 Team USA Roster Talk

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Big guys Samuelsson and Miller was much better against Russia. Makes you think that back to back was a major factor why they struggled today. It is not good sign because semi-final and final are back to back too and we need those guys to be at their best.

Russia wasn't nearly as good on their back to back either.
All four teams left will face this issue. US will not be at any more of a disadvantage.

Samuelsson looks like the least effective D man of the regular 6 thats playing. York
has looked better in short bursts.

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
We don't have a very defensive minded roster, especially where it counts (on D). But that's okay in these tournaments so long as you have the offensive firepower and know how to use it.

We should be loading up the two top lines and playing those guys 18-20 mins:

Robertson - Zegras - Kaliyev
Caufield - Turcotte - Wahlstrom
Beecher - Pinto - Brink

Let Ford, Hall, Drury, and Pivonka kill penalties and get a shift here and there.

Honestly, reading the comments, I'm not sure I'm seeing the same game as many others writing up here.

I think USA has played solid hockey against Russia and the Czech. They had more scoring chances than the opponents in each game. The result was disappointing against the Czech and thinking back USA probably played safe in the 2nd half of the 3rd period to get at least a point (which put them assuredly before Russia) which made the end of the game more "boring".

The Wahlstrom-Pinto-Robertson line has been the most consistent for USA during the past two games. Against the Czech, those three had 13 shots. They spend most of their time in the offensive zone as they play very well in the neutral zone. They force giveaways and often break up the opponent's offense before it starts. The other lines have had more spectacular shifts but haven't been as consistent in driving the play.

There is a lot of skepticism towards Sandelin, and I was in the lot, especially against Canada. However, despite Turcotte and Caufield struggling (up to that OT shift) and a non-existent 4th line, the team played solid defensive hockey. While defensive hockey isn't spectacular, it often wins games in these tournaments. They were bad defensively against Canada which resulted in their only loss. Looking at other teams, Russia was very good defensively against Canada and they won.

We out-chanced the Czechs because we are by far the superior team, not because of great coaching. The Russian game was the only game where we've really played well.

People aren't mad at Sandelin for coaching defensively as much as they are frustrated with player usage. Everybody and their brother knew Zegras needed to be in the top 6 but he played him as a 4th line winger for the first two games, arguably costing the US the #1 seed.

Reactions: SpartanProdigy

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We don't have a very defensive minded roster, especially where it counts (on D). But that's okay in these tournaments so long as you have the offensive firepower and know how to use it.

We should be loading up the two top lines and playing those guys 18-20 mins:

Robertson - Zegras - Kaliyev
Caufield - Turcotte - Wahlstrom
Beecher - Pinto - Brink

Let Ford, Hall, Drury, and Pivonka kill penalties and get a shift here and there.

We out-chanced the Czechs because we are by far the superior team, not because of great coaching. The Russian game was the only game where we've really played well.

People aren't mad at Sandelin for coaching defensively as much as they are frustrated with player usage. Everybody and their brother knew Zegras needed to be in the top 6 but he played him as a 4th line winger for the first two games, arguably costing the US the #1 seed.
In what world would someone put Turcotte and Caufield over Pinto who is scoring consistently?

Turcotte and Caufield have both looked poor

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
In what world would someone put Turcotte and Caufield over Pinto who is scoring consistently?

I went back and forth on keeping pinto in top 6. He's played well, but ultimately I think Turcotte and Caufield are better players and are due to start getting some bounces. I suspect yesterday's ot winner will give them the confidence boost needed to start contributing more offensively.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I went back and forth on keeping pinto in top 6. He's played well, but ultimately I think Turcotte and Caufield are better players and are due to start getting some bounces. I suspect yesterday's ot winner will give them the confidence boost needed to start contributing more offensively.

at this point in the tournament it doesn't make sense to play struggling players more up the lineup and players doing well down the lineup

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Disclaimer: there are about a gazillion assumptions in this post which is dangerous to ever do....even more so in a tourney played by 19 yr olds. But here goes:

there is post on the site saying that they’re reseeding after the quarters. If that’s true, and if I understand it correctly (both big assumptions) then the following is true:

If Canada, USA, and Sweden win their quarters (all that seems likely) then it comes down to Russia v Finland to determine the semifinal matchups.

Russia over Finland means USA plays Canada in the semis
Finland over Russia means USA plays Sweden in the semis

Like I said, this might be completely inaccurate. It could all get blown up this afternoon....or it could all get blown up on Thursday. Or I might just be completely wrong. But it’s interesting to me. I’ve just been assuming we’d play Sweden in the semis but that might not be true.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lecturing people on who they should be rooting for doesn't work for me. I can root for my country's team, another country's team that I like, my team's prospects, or prospects of another team that I enjoy watching.

This is the same discussion as before with the Bruins fans.

If you are coming here to pose interests that are against the team, I think most fans of this team would dislike it. To me, that’s trolling. If you are doing that in your own forum, no ones going to care because that’s for your own team. This thread is for the American team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Samuelsson looks like the least effective D man of the regular 6 thats playing. York
has looked better in short bursts.

Ridiculous. Samuelsson has been much better than Harris, Stastney, Miller and York. A fan of a team with Carlo should be able to appreciate his contribution, but you get points on this website for criticizing any defensive defensemen over 6’2.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Pinto has been better than expected, but his line is not playing as well as some are saying. They must have a PDO way over 1. On the other hand, I don’t think Caufield and Turcotte have been as bad as some of you say. They aren’t getting the same luck with the chances they are on the ice for. This is why you don’t make your lines based on SSS stats if there’s a gap in quality between the players. Pinto has contributed well, but is not better suited for the top six than those players.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Pinto has been better than expected, but his line is not playing as well as some are saying. They must have a PDO way over 1. On the other hand, I don’t think Caufield and Turcotte have been as bad as some of you say. They aren’t getting the same luck with the chances they are on the ice for. This is why you don’t make your lines based on SSS stats if there’s a gap in quality between the players. Pinto has contributed well, but is not better suited for the top six than those players.
the reason Pinto is scoring goals is cause he is going to the dirty areas of the ice

something Turcotte and especially Caulfield aren't doing. Pinto isn't some scrub that is just having a good tournament. He has had a good year in college and is a former early 2nd rounder. If you think Turcotte should be in the top 6 that is fine but not at the expense of one of the few players on the team who has the size and will to play infront of the net.

pinto would be the last guy on his line to move down to the bottom 6

Reactions: Statsy

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Ridiculous. Samuelsson has been much better than Harris, Stastney, Miller and York. A fan of a team with Carlo should be able to appreciate his contribution, but you get points on this website for criticizing any defensive defensemen over 6’2.

Lol, no he hasn't been even "better" than any of the
other players, never mind much. Stop inferring
I said he sucks because I didn't.

The facts are that every Dman except him have been
making plays with the puck in all areas of the ice under
pressure.

This guy has made w/o question the fewest plays with the puck while under duress. Also I don't consider wrapping the puck around the boards an executed play.

Lol, at the Carlo comparison. Go back and watch the
Bronze medal 2016 game. Samuelsson isn't in the
same area code never mind neighboorhood as
Carlo in skating and defending ability.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
the reason Pinto is scoring goals is cause he is going to the dirty areas of the ice

something Turcotte and especially Caulfield aren't doing. Pinto isn't some scrub that is just having a good tournament. He has had a good year in college and is a former early 2nd rounder. If you think Turcotte should be in the top 6 that is fine but not at the expense of one of the few players on the team who has the size and will to play infront of the net.

This guy thinks hockey is nothing but dangles and toe drags. Pinto has absolutely done his job well.

Hockey is a COLLISION not contact sport and you
need guys throughout your line up that bring size, grit
and enough speed, skill or IQ. Its not real complicated.
Teams with lines of Caufields won't be successful.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I really wanted Zegras with Wahlstrom or Caufield but at this point Zegras and Kaliyev seem to have so much chemistry I think you have to keep them together.

maybe just add Caufield or Wahlstrom to a line with them.

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Samuelsson was really good against Russia IMO. Yesterday was tougher day for him but lets hope he can play his best hockey when real games starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Turcotte always goes to the dirty areas. That’s an odd criticism. That’s not Caufield’s game. I wouldn’t expect him to go to dirty areas. Puck luck, PDO, SH%, on ice SH%, on ice SV%. These are all real things that we don’t have stats for in a junior tournament, but I think I understand them well enough and these are factors at play in the statistics of some players from our games that I think it’s worth mentioning.

In a SSS tournament, you go with your best players, in my opinion. Make a list of your best players, and try to divide ice time like that. Pinto is no better than our 7th best forward, in my opinion. Depending on the day, I might say 9th best. I think it’s close between him, Drury and Brink. This coach seems to agree with you though, so we’ll see who ends up being right. For the sake of the team, I hope it’s not me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol, no he hasn't been even "better" than any of the
other players, never mind much. Stop inferring
I said he sucks because I didn't.

The facts are that every Dman except him have been
making plays with the puck in all areas of the ice under
pressure.

This guy has made w/o question the fewest plays with the puck while under duress. Also I don't consider wrapping the puck around the boards an executed play.

Lol, at the Carlo comparison. Go back and watch the
Bronze medal 2016 game. Samuelsson isn't in the
same area code never mind neighboorhood as
Carlo in skating and defending ability.

Where did I infer you think he sucks? You criticized the guy. I made a point about how big defensive defensemen on this website are criticized for playing well. I’ve taken part in too many of these discussions that I know all the talking points, doesn’t move the puck well, hits the puck around the boards, too slow, too many icings, chases behind the net, too physical and takes themselves out of the play. I don’t even know how many of these apply, but I’ve heard the list many times. I merely wanted to give my opinion that I disagree. I’ll leave it at that.

This guy thinks hockey is nothing but dangles and toe drags. Pinto has absolutely done his job well.

Hockey is a COLLISION not contact sport and you
need guys throughout your line up that bring size, grit
and enough speed, skill or IQ. Its not real complicated.
Teams with lines of Caufields won't be successful.

The irony is too funny to resist, so I’ll amend what I said above.

You are saying the most physical player on the team has played bad with the usual tropes, yet you are accusing me having a warped view of hockey? Funny.

Do you even know Pinto’s style of play? He’s not some ultra gritty guy. He’s looked pretty bad defensively. What are you even trying to say? It seems more like a rant against me, because I challenged what you said, than anything.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Samuelsson was really good against Russia IMO. Yesterday was tougher day for him but lets hope he can play his best hockey when real games starts.

I didn’t even think he was bad yesterday. He can’t be in the box for four minutes, and one of those penalties was dumb by him. That’s the extent of the criticism I think should be leveled against him yesterday.

Reactions: Chainshot

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Where did I infer you think he sucks? You criticized the guy. I made a point about how big defensive defensemen on this website are criticized for playing well. I’ve taken part in too many of these discussions that I know all the talking points, doesn’t move the puck well, hits the puck around the boards, too slow, too many icings, chases behind the net, too physical and takes themselves out of the play. I don’t even know how many of these apply, but I’ve heard the list many times. I merely wanted to give my opinion that I disagree. I’ll leave it at that.

The irony is too funny to resist, so I’ll amend what I said above.

You are saying the most physical player on the team has played bad with the usual tropes, yet you are accusing me having a warped view of hockey? Funny.

Do you even know Pinto’s style of play? He’s not some ultra gritty guy. He’s looked pretty bad defensively. What are you even trying to say? It seems more like a rant against me, because I challenged what you said, than anything.

Lol, I said the other dmen have made more plays
under duress than him. That fact could be used
as an argument that those players have more grit
not less as they face a higher probability they are
getting hit more.

In addition Samuelsson is not the most physical guy
on Team USA. Did you see Beecher toss that Czech
player like trash in OT?

Incidentally Carlo doesn't fit that description of big
D men but Samuelsson does. So spare me on a charge of being inconsistent.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
This is the same discussion as before with the Bruins fans.

If you are coming here to pose interests that are against the team, I think most fans of this team would dislike it. To me, that’s trolling. If you are doing that in your own forum, no ones going to care because that’s for your own team. This thread is for the American team.
I would disagree that a fan of one NHL team posting on this forum an opinion regarding one of their prospects is "against the team." It's simply an opinion that one prospect is better than another. It may be biased, or incorrect, but so what? The USA roster thread isn't just to agree that everyone on the team is great. It's to express opinions about the USA team.

SpartanProdigy

Apr 22, 2019
Ugh, Finland losing to the Swiss 3-2 at end of 2nd period. Of all games for a possible upset, why does it have to be this one. Why couldn't it be CZE over Canada...

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Ugh, Finland losing to the Swiss 3-2 at end of 2nd period. Of all games for a possible upset, why does it have to be this one. Why couldn't it be CZE over Canada...

Typical. Worst scenario for us. In recent years Finland has been horrible opponent in elimination games for USA. Hope they turn it around.

SpartanProdigy

Apr 22, 2019
Typical. Worst scenario for us. In recent years Finland has been horrible opponent in elimination games for USA. Hope they turn it around.
Finland is the one team out of Group A that I did not want the US to play in QFs. They always seem to manage to squeak by the US in international tourneys (2018 U18s, 2019 WJC), would have rather played Sweden over the Finns. Let's hope they can pull it together.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I find it hard to pass up a chance to beat Finland. As I said coming into the tournament, I consider them our real rivals at this point. This age group has lost two finals against Finland.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Man, what an absolute gift for Russia after dropping 2 in groups and what a brutal draw for the US.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad