WJC: 2020 Team Sweden Roster Talk

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
The organizers have done a pretty poor job with the breakdown of the schedule. Finland/Sweden should be the marquee New Year's Eve match-up, but instead it's on day one. Same for the other group that sees Canada/USA start off. The match-ups on the 31st are FIN/SUI, RUS/GER, SWE/SVK, and CAN/CZE. Terrible!

But is that really a good day to focus on hockey? Lots of people busy prepping fireworks and arranging parties. (I remember from the Helsinki WJC a while back, the NYE tickets were just about the last ones available.)

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
But is that really a good day to focus on hockey? Lots of people busy prepping fireworks and arranging parties. (I remember from the Helsinki WJC a while back, the NYE tickets were just about the last ones available.)
As someone who has been watching this tournament for 30 years I can emphatically say that YES, that is a great day to focus on hockey! :laugh:

Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Okay, I haven't been following Sweden's hockey lately, who are outstanding kids I should be keeping an eye on tonight?

(When you continue to win all round robin games as usual...)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Fun game. Nice goal by Höglander and good to see Holtz and Fagemo get goals early. Defense looked solid overall. Obviously not impressed with the finishing ability of our forwards.

Söderström looked great. Lundkvist was alright. Broberg got better and better. Ginning shockingly only played 11 minutes (guess he'll play more if we are up or tied). Would like to see a lot more from Sandin. Had some scoring chances but looked a bit meh, slower than I remember from last year, got caught a few times.

Also didn't like that Sandin-Lundkvist pair on the PP. We need a heavier point shot there, preferably a 4th forward.

Last edited:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Also didn't like that Sandin-Lundkvist pair on the PP. We need a heavier point shot there, preferably a forward.

I wouldn't mind having two big shooters (Fagemo and Holtz) on the same PP line, but then again, our second PP unit would get even worse.
We really lack that special centerman with a strong playmaking ability. Raymond has some of that, I guess...and maybe Henriksson...but I mean, having a Bäckström type of playmaker would have made a huge difference. Doesn't look much better for next year either imo.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
How was Broberg? Saw he threw out a pretty decent hip check.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Changes I'd like to see is make one of Nässén/Öberg the 13th forward instead and bring in Eriksson, swap the 2nd, & 3rd lines, don't play Bäck in OT, and lastly something that won't happen: make Ginning the 7D.

I'm also thinking Hugo should play over Bäck.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Changes I'd like to see is make one of Nässén/Öberg the 13th forward instead and bring in Eriksson, swap the 2nd, & 3rd lines, don't play Bäck in OT, and lastly something that won't happen: make Ginning the 7D.

This won't happen, but I'd personally swap Fagemo and Holtz.

I think Höglander + Holtz would work well together, we know Raymond + Fagemo works well together. I think that would create two dangerous lines, instead of the one we have now.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Söderström looked great. Lundkvist was alright. Broberg got better and better. Ginning shockingly only played 11 minutes (guess he'll play more if we are up or tied). Would like to see a lot more from Sandin. Had some scoring chances but looked a bit meh, slower than I remember from last year, got caught a few times.

Also didn't like that Sandin-Lundkvist pair on the PP. We need a heavier point shot there, preferably a 4th forward.

Agreed on both accounts. Söderström looked like the experienced returning player, and Sandin like a first time invitee who needs to step up his game. Win is a win though, on to the next one.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, the best 3-0n-3 OT players are the ones who can score on their opportunities. Bäck would be far down my list and he did waste two grade A chances. I think he had a pretty decent game overall though, strong on the puck in the offensive zone.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Not that noticeable during the first two periods. Much better in the third.

Strong on the puck or fast to it, important against the finns.

PS. If the finns have a leader everyone else follows. This time (there always is) it was the goalie. I was thinking Darth Vader for a while. Extra good thing the Hog Z:ed him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad