Red Sox/MLB RIP Tom Seaver

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
My gut is telling me that if the Red Sox were competitive, E-Rod would make a go of it, but with the state of the team right now, why come back and risk any further complications? Nothing to gain, everything to lose.

As usual, sounds like you’ve done absolutely zero research on topic at hand and are just “going with your gut”.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The stuff with Eduardo Rodriguez should end the "They're athletes, they'll be fine" bull. Anyone making that argument now is dismissed as not being a serious person.

I have had several Doctors in the BI/Lahey network tell me that the damage being done to most people in their 20's won't become a problem for them until they reach their 50's.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
After what happened with Reggie Lewis 27 years ago, no doctor would ever clear E-Rod to pitch this season.

Reactions: LSCII

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
I have had several Doctors in the BI/Lahey network tell me that the damage being done to most people in their 20's won't become a problem for them until they reach their 50's.

I would definitely trust a doctor making 30 year predictions on a novel coronavirus. They all say they don't know anything about it until it comes to saying stuff that can scare people. Then they are so sure all of a sudden. Lmao.

tonino2424

Sep 28, 2005
With Erod sidelined for the season, it really looks like we are going to tank for Kumar Rocker. WE need a new number 1 future starter anyways. Hopefully, with Mata, Song, Rocker and ERod, we will have a nice 4-some.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I would definitely trust a doctor making 30 year predictions on a novel coronavirus. They all say they don't know anything about it until it comes to saying stuff that can scare people. Then they are so sure all of a sudden. Lmao.

Here's an analogy.

You have a car. The engine was engineered to run "under normal" circumstances, 500K miles. You then proceed to run the engine to readline repeatedly for the first 10K miles. This causes small but irremediable damage to the pistons & rings, valvetrain, etc. These imperfections can't self-heal because they aren't made to. By 200K miles the engine is ready to konk out after blowing thru a quart of oil every 1000 miles. There has weakening compression in the chambers making it gradually lose power. All this time you're getting warning signals from the central computer that's trying to determine and report deviation from norm.

This is what happens when cells in kidneys, lungs, heart, etc are stressed and die. It creates scar tissue that further stresses the capacity of the organs to function properly. At "10K miles", it's not a huge deal, but as the other "parts" face their normal wear with age; those that were most stressed come upon compounded stress to function properly.

I suppose you could always rebuild the motor, but the body is a bit different and I don't think you would want to be tubed up 24/7 - it's really not that cool to look like the bad guy from Dune but to each his own.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK

Yes, because all the documented examples of young survivors and others that are having long term problems like E-Rod are having is nothing more than a “conspiracy and a scare tactic”. It’s all a big misunderstanding because the there is no way “the sniffles” could do such a thing. I guess you are claiming they just discovered Myocarditis last week, and don’t have a clue what the long term effects are after that diagnosis. :sarcasm:

Just a question, did you mean to use “novel” or did you mean norovirus? I am curious at that particular choice of words.

As someone that got it back in the beginning of March, it wasn’t much fun and it lingered on and on til the end of April with an array of odd symptoms including heart palpitations for the first time in my life. Until recently I always thought my lingering weird symptoms was related but now I see that others also experienced the same crap I did because the data keeps rolling in confirming long term effects and sometimes long term damage. But hey...I am only trying to scare you.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSCII and Alicat

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think something is on Reddit somewhere about Cespedes opting out of the season

obviously not a great source but I imagine that is what it actually is

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think something is on Reddit somewhere about Cespedes opting out of the season

obviously not a great source but I imagine that is what it actually is

Passan has it now that he cleaned out his hotel room and left. He then informed his agent who informed the Mets that he was in fact, opting out.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
What Cespedes did was stupid, thoughtless and irresponsible. All he had to do was call his manager to inform him of his decision to opt out or have his agent call the GM.
Instead he just took off and caused a lot of unnecessary worry for a lot of people.

Jerk.

Reactions: KrejciMVP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad