Red Sox/MLB RIP Tom Seaver

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Would either player command a contract that would really set the Sox back? Is JD going to command big $$
JD is probably the best pure DH in the game right now unless the Yankees move Judge to DH fulltime.

If the NL actually sticks with DH fulltime, he's going to have a solid market.

If they don't? He probably stays. Either way, Red Sox are a better team with him, and should figure out the contract situation.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Id keep them both. If Benetendi could get a pitcher id trade him

Id move JBJ in a heartbeat. JD too

I wouldn’t move Benintendi because he’s the type of guy we will sell low on then watch develop into the 25-30 home fun .280 guy I thought he would be. Guy hasn’t been impacting the ball at all....still walking but I need a lot more than that out of a corner OF

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I'm hoping Eovaldi can go on a run and garner interest. Not a great contract to take on but I'm willing to sell just about anyone other than Bogaerts and Devers. Maybe a contender would bite on him.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
The pandemic isn't helping things, but this team is the consequence of hiring Dave Dombrowski. Let's just be happy we got a World Series out of him and didn't end up like Detroit.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The pandemic isn't helping things, but this team is the consequence of hiring Dave Dombrowski. Let's just be happy we got a World Series out of him and didn't end up like Detroit.

Dombrowski was who we thought he was. And he did his job well, putting together what was probably the team of the decade to win that title. The core should've been sustainable though, and the problem was that Henry and Werner fell asleep at the wheel while they let him extend Sale and Eovaldi to stupid contracts. I put more blame on ownership for letting him continue as GM after 2018 and signing off on his moves than on Dombrowski himself.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Are you talking about him trading away prospects? Because if that is the case he did an amazing job. He traded 29 prospects and out of those 29 only 7 are in the Majors. Out of those 7 only 2 have had a good career.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What timing by the Sox - this is a 100 loss team

the season is a farce and in 2 weeks they will be half over

bad situation but so fortunate

Reactions: Silva

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Are you talking about him trading away prospects? Because if that is the case he did an amazing job. He traded 29 prospects and out of those 29 only 7 are in the Majors. Out of those 7 only 2 have had a good career.

I'm talking about how Dombrowski builds teams. He's the epitome of an "all-in/win now" GM. You accept that style because it gives your team a good chance to win a World Series, and he did exactly what they brought him in to do. I'm not complaining about his method, since it worked. I'm simply saying that this is the consequence that we have to live with. We'll have to deal with a few down years as Bloom builds things back up. I don't mind having to deal with some bad years because we won it all in 2018.

Your feelings about that kind of depend on how you view sports. Would you take 10 years of good teams, but no championships, or 9 years of bad teams with 1 championship?

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I'm talking about how Dombrowski builds teams. He's the epitome of an "all-in/win now" GM. You accept that style because it gives your team a good chance to win a World Series, and he did exactly what they brought him in to do. I'm not complaining about his method, since it worked. I'm simply saying that this is the consequence that we have to live with. We'll have to deal with a few down years as Bloom builds things back up. I don't mind having to deal with some bad years because we won it all in 2018.

Your feelings about that kind of depend on how you view sports. Would you take 10 years of good teams, but no championships, or 9 years of bad teams with 1 championship?
My big point is Dombrowski didn't really hurt this team with the exception of the Eovaldi contract. I mean they had a good core but has since watched their ace go under the knife, there 2nd pitcher get traded, there 3rd suffer from a pandemic, and there star outfielder traded for pennies on the dollar. I think if none of the above happened they would be in an excellent position right now but that is how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Good point but you'd also have to evaluate drafting, free agency etc. The Dombrowski era was a success. It's ownership who can't decide whether they want to go the Theo/Cherington/Bloom model or the Lucchino/Dombrowski model. They change their mind every couple years.

I think the biggest mistake was the Sale extension. At the time a lot of people were questioning it. It really made no sense. John Henry signed off on it and then fired Dombrowski a year after winning a WS. It's the most chaotic successful team in sports! Signing Sale set the stage for the luxury tax issue as well. Seems like we're either winning a WS or god awful. Quite unusual.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sox won last night.

Where's the excitement and optimism?

Meh, far cooler sports like hockey are back and competing for my attention over baseball. Good for them for winning, but that team isn't very much fun to watch. At least so far this season. Was happy to see Verdugo hit one though. Very interested in how he adjusts to Boston.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
duckboats!

Didn’t see much of the game, glad Verdugo popped one. I did see a 94 mph cutter Brewer threw that was disgusting so that was neat

Barnes threw all fastballs. 9 pitches, clean inning, no walks.

Us UCONN grads are slow learners.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Martin Perez is responsible for half of our wins.

Favorite fact so far: The Red Sox have 4 wins, while the Marlins, who got shut down for an entire week because 18 players tested positive for the coronavirus have 5 wins.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Martin Perez looked outstanding last night

late movement

Verdugo has a beautiful swing

I don’t understand what happened to Benintendi- hurt ?

very odd

if Chavis can lay off high stuff he’s a 30+ homer guy even if the ball is from the dead ball era - ridiculous power

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Good point but you'd also have to evaluate drafting, free agency etc. The Dombrowski era was a success. It's ownership who can't decide whether they want to go the Theo/Cherington/Bloom model or the Lucchino/Dombrowski model. They change their mind every couple years.

I think the biggest mistake was the Sale extension. At the time a lot of people were questioning it. It really made no sense. John Henry signed off on it and then fired Dombrowski a year after winning a WS. It's the most chaotic successful team in sports! Signing Sale set the stage for the luxury tax issue as well. Seems like we're either winning a WS or god awful. Quite unusual.
Henry must have been terrified the redsox where going to end up like the tigers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad