2020 Offseason - UFA D

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well it wouldn't have to be Hutton (though how would we know for certain they had no interest in him this summer). I meant it more as an avenue of discussion, are there any of the younger/cheaper UFA we'd be interested in assuming the big names stay with their teams or we can't or don't want to get them.
He's on a one year $1.5M contract. If Stevie was interested, he would have offered more money or term.

Certainly a possibility that Stevie signs another Nemeth type player for similar contract this offseason.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Nobody. You don't build through free agency. Wings need to have a drafted core that is top 4 in their conference before even thinking of making a FA splash.

FA's don't earn their money - if their current team doesn't keep them at their asking price its for a reason - they're not worth it. And most players would offer home town discounts, so their current team balks at paying a price lower than the Wings would have to eventually sign the player for.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nobody. You don't build through free agency. Wings need to have a drafted core that is top 4 in their conference before even thinking of making a FA splash.

FA's don't earn their money - if their current team doesn't keep them at their asking price its for a reason - they're not worth it. And most players would offer home town discounts, so their current team balks at paying a price lower than the Wings would have to eventually sign the player for.
You don't build through FA, but find the missing pieces. Caps won the Cup by getting Nisky and Orpik through UFA.

The Wings need to many pieces right now, but if it's a true 1D, I'd go for it but it sounds like Josi is re-signing with the Preds, so I'm not interested.

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
Here's my hot take - we're rebuilding, and just hitting rock bottom or close to it. So who do I want to sign in terms of UFA d-men? Absolutely nobody. I want our prospects and young D playing. I want to see what they have to offer.

The time to throw money after a big name D is when we're clearly on the upswing and need reinforcements on the blue line. That doesn't fit our current position.

Reactions: odin1981

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Here's my hot take - we're rebuilding, and just hitting rock bottom or close to it. So who do I want to sign in terms of UFA d-men? Absolutely nobody. I want our prospects and young D playing. I want to see what they have to offer.

The time to throw money after a big name D is when we're clearly on the upswing and need reinforcements on the blue line. That doesn't fit our current position.

It isn't a hot take at all and is the same thing that many of us want. Many posters, however, are having a hard time deferring gratification when it comes to this rebuild.

Reactions: 2xJack

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
It isn't a hot take at all and is the same thing that many of us want. Many posters, however, are having a hard time deferring gratification when it comes to this rebuild.

The all or nothing attitude isn't for me. It isn't ''no winning right now in order to get winning later'', it's progressing along and getting pieces along the way, which is why the team should look into the UFA D class this summer.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I've been out of the NHL loop a bit lately but did I miss some big news? Why is no one talking about the expansion draft? Personally, I'm not ready to give up Cholowski or Dekeyser for free or pay through the nose to keep all of Cholowski, Dekeyser, Hronek, and Krug (et al).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I think building the team is too fluid to definitively say the Wings should stay out of the UFA bin. If we end up with another 6th pick, yeah, this team is probably crawling along for at least another season. If they score a top2 and walk out with Lafreniere or Byfield, that's a center piece to a pretty good group of complimentary guys we already have in the system. At that point, I think it's okay to start looking for the right grab on the UFA market or in a trade. Not to mention whatever the prospects do in their respective leagues.

Most likely we'll be picking fourth and there won't be any real impact UFA available that the wings will want and who will want to play here, so it's probably moot.

Reactions: wingerdinger

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

I agree with this for the most part... but there are definitely exceptions. Chara signing with Boston comes to mind.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I've been out of the NHL loop a bit lately but did I miss some big news? Why is no one talking about the expansion draft? Personally, I'm not ready to give up Cholowski or Dekeyser for free or pay through the nose to keep all of Cholowski, Dekeyser, Hronek, and Krug (et al).

This is a good point people are forgetting. As it stands now our protections would most likely be DD, cholo and hronek.

Signing a FA would bump DD to being exposed.

It's why I keep telling people, such as my dad, that stevie wont be making any big moves. He signed stop gaps for 2 years, why? Buys us time until after the expansion draft, allow us to tank 1 or 2 more years, most bad contracts are gone at the point(only neilsen and abby remain), allows us to continue to develop our own prospects and lastly it allows us the ability to protect everyone worthy of being protected.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think building the team is too fluid to definitively say the Wings should stay out of the UFA bin. If we end up with another 6th pick, yeah, this team is probably crawling along for at least another season. If they score a top2 and walk out with Lafreniere or Byfield, that's a center piece to a pretty good group of complimentary guys we already have in the system. At that point, I think it's okay to start looking for the right grab on the UFA market or in a trade. Not to mention whatever the prospects do in their respective leagues.

Most likely we'll be picking fourth and there won't be any real impact UFA available that the wings will want and who will want to play here, so it's probably moot.

I don't think it is an all or nothing proposition, but I personally have little interest in the best free agents on the market. I also think the cost of getting a premiere UFA to Detroit while the Wings are at the bottom of the competitive cycle is going to require an ungodly salary.

Reactions: saska sault

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I don't think it is an all or nothing proposition, but I personally have little interest in the best free agents on the market. I also think the cost of getting a premiere UFA to Detroit while the Wings are at the bottom of the competitive cycle is going to require an ungodly salary.

You add big name UFAs when your team is already competitive, have your core locked up, and can be creative with the salary cap to make things work. We actually don't meat any of those requirements anytime soon... Mantha, Bert, AA, Cholo, Hronek are all signed short term to RDA deals.. We have no middle 6, bottom 9 of the forward group is real all question marks... Our Defense is just as a question mark and future goaltending is so hard to predict. So many holes to fill before we should even entertain the idea of a big name UFA..

Reactions: Sparty

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
my outlooks pietrangelo is the perfect type tall long reached , graceful skating , smart , commited , finess dman to have a long career similar to how it played out for lidstrom . so hes 30 but i can fathom him being very valuable for 5 more years , then still pulling his weight as a #5/6 . and starting next season i see it as winning becomes important for the sake of team spirit . ide like to trot out a first unit of tuzzi-larkin-mantha-pietrangelo-hronek and announce they can play with anybody ! plus maybe add a ufa g lehner next summer too if he brings it again this season . yes i doubt pietrangelo leaves blues but if he does im making an offer of say 7X9 . he'd also be a great mentor for our young d of seider-chow-misty-hronek-johansen-etc . then if we do good next season the following summer any big ufa might find us the place to be and bingo were making noise 2021/22 . plus pietrangelo as a captain no doubt a good citizen in the room to fortify team culture .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad