2020 Offseason - UFA D

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Quite sure Josi will extend with Preds. Poile even said that he traded Subban to make room for future Josi extension.

Krug, Barrie. 9 million guys.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Zero interest in signing any UFA D that is 30 or getting close to 30, players are so unpredictable about when they got downhill, and we are finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel from some of our horrible contracts.

Not comparing Abdelkader and Josi, just saying I would much rather stay away from huge UFA contracts until the home grown talent shows alot more, and that they are anywhere close to being a piece or two away from being competitive.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If we get a top 2 pick I could see us going for a defenseman. Otherwise I don't think Yzerman will rush things.

Reactions: avssuc

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Josi would be nice but he'll probably stay in Nashville.

I don't see the Wings realistically signing any of the other big names.

Reactions: avssuc

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
I don't want Barrie at all. Been one of the most overrated defensemen in the league for awhile now. Considering he's getting an awful contract in free agency, signing him could be one of the worst things Detroit could do. Thankfully I highly doubt he's interested in us at all.

Josi is okay but he's not as good as a lot of people think he is, especially in his own end, he'll get overpaid in free agency and I think Detroit should pass, even if he's somehow interested.

Pietrangelo definitely won't sign here, although he's very good. I expect him to extend with STL.

Muzzin I wouldn't mind either, but again, I don't think him signing here is realistic. Also, he's 30 right now and I'm wary about how much longer he's an effective player if we were to sign him. I think Toronto focuses on signing him personally and let Barrie walk.

Krug is the only "big fish" I can realistically see signing with here because of his Michigan connections, and even then, the Carlo/McAvoy bridge deals mean Boston has enough money to extend him potentially. So I'm not expecting him to sign with us, unfortunately.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
If we get a top 2 pick I could see us going for a defenseman. Otherwise I don't think Yzerman will rush things.
Lafrenier and Byfield for sure if we get top two. Not even close right now.
Anyways, if Zadina, Veleno, and Seider with an addition to one of those two ^, do you think Yzerman might grab a couple of big name D-men and really accelerate the rebuild. Being a bad team isn't healthy for young guys and Yzerman knows that. Could we be competitive?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Anyways, if Zadina, Veleno, and Seider with an addition to one of those two ^, do you think Yzerman might grab a couple of big name D-men and really accelerate the rebuild. Being a bad team isn't healthy for young guys and Yzerman knows that. Could we be competitive?

I really hope not... I disagree with non playoff teams spending big money in free agency. It's hard to find 25 percent of any big free agent signings over the last 10 years or so that ever really turn out to be good deals. The trend seems to be 2 to 3 of decent production followed by that contract being a burden, and looking for some loop hole or injury to get it to be gone. Continue to stock pile picks and prospects and look for low risk/high reward reclamation projects.. We still have 2 or 3 years of bad contracts to get rid of. No reason to add more to that list. We don't have enough talent or depth to make the playoffs even with 2 or 3 of the bigger name free agents IMO... We are that bad.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'd pay a mint for Josi. Krug, okay, but I'm not sure he's the piece this team is lacking.

I love Pietrangelo's game, but I'm not sure that's a smart move in the mid-term. You lock yourself into moving Hronek if you want to get Seider more than 3rd pairing minutes. Overall, I think this team needs LD at this point much more than it needs RD.

I'd be interested in somebody like Marco Scandella. He's definitely had a rougher go of things in Buffalo, but he was a really good two-way guy prior. He might get bought out, so you could pick him up on the cheap.

Last edited:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I meant signing a defenseman, not drafting one. As in if we get Laf or Byfield that accelerates the rebuild.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I love Pietrangelo's game, but I'm not sure that's a smart move in the mid-term. You lock yourself into moving Hronek if you want to get Seider more than 3rd pairing minutes. Overall, I think this team needs LD at this point much more than it needs RD.
I'd happily experiment to see which defenseman could best handle playing the other side. Pietrangelo is exactly the type of guy this defense needs, and very badly.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Josi would be nice but he'll probably stay in Nashville.

I don't see the Wings realistically signing any of the other big names.
Josi for me as well, the team needs a defenseman that can actually play D to mentor the kids. Plus the pairing of Josi-Seider or Josi-Hronek both look pretty damn good (on paper at least).

Since that's what we all want, Stevie will overpay a marginal left D as a stop gap. Who's the most comparable to Nemeth?

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
Josi would be nice but I don't know if I see him leaving Nashville. I'd definitely want to go after him if he was available.

What about someone slightly younger and hopefully cheaper like Ben Hutton?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Josi would be nice but I don't know if I see him leaving Nashville. I'd definitely want to go after him if he was available.

What about someone slightly younger and hopefully cheaper like Ben Hutton?
Canucks didn't give Hutton a QO, he was available this past offseason. If the team didn't want him then, doubt Stevie will go after him next off season.

plymouthmi

Jan 17, 2015
Chicago
Canucks didn't give Hutton a QO, he was available this past offseason. If the team didn't want him then, doubt Stevie will go after him next off season.
Well it wouldn't have to be Hutton (though how would we know for certain they had no interest in him this summer). I meant it more as an avenue of discussion, are there any of the younger/cheaper UFA we'd be interested in assuming the big names stay with their teams or we can't or don't want to get them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad