Roster Moves: 2020 Offseason Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
if we can't get rid of jvr without getting a bad contract/player back, just keep him for a run next year. Same with ghost. I don't want to trade ghost for a 3rd/b level prospect when we can use him for a run next year. I can jvr having his best year as a flyer given the talent on the team and ghost getting 30+.

g-couts-tk
jvr-hayes-farabee
lindblom-frost-voracek
raffl-laughton-nak

that is a great lineup. Would be nice to swap jvr and add a guy like rakell but I'm fine with this. I think we should hold out on big trades/FA until after the expansion. I can definitely see jvr having a 30 goal season if things go right for him and there actually is a full season

Reactions: renberg

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Can someone remind me what kind of clause does JvR have? NMC?

Santa clause.

fxvJQKC.jpg

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Not saying they won’t be effected at all but I think the top tier free agents like Hall & Pietrangelo aren’t going to take a big bath like the mid & low tier free agents are. It’s still going to be a considerable commitment to get their signatures imo.

Damn, imagine landing both Hall and AP.

We'd have to pretty much lose JVR, Ghost, Jake.

Hall/Coots/TK
Lindblom/Hayes/Giroux
Farabee/Patrick/Frost
Raffl/Laughton/NAK
Sandin

Provorov/Pietrangelo
Sanheim/Myers
Zamula/Niskanen
Hagg

It will never happen. I'm not convinced that would be a better forward group anyway.

But dat defense tho.

Reactions: Prongo

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

Hall/Coots/TK
Lindblom/Hayes/Giroux
Farabee/Patrick/Frost
Raffl/Laughton/NAK
Sandin

Provorov/Pietrangelo
Sanheim/Myers
Zamula/Niskanen
Hagg

It will never happen. I'm not convinced that would be a better forward group anyway.

But dat defense tho.
I mean I am ambitious with my trade discussions but you're just crazy pal

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher has been pretty clear he has little interest in free agents.
Both Fletcher and AV have been pretty adamant about how much they like their young players, both on the team and the prospects on the verge of the NHL.

For one thing, the top 6 is pretty much set, swap out Lindblom for Farabee is about the only conceivable change next year.
And guys like TK, Lindblom and Farabee haven't maxed out their talent (TK may only have incremental improvement left, but when you're a 24 goal scorer, how much improvement do you need?), Frost and Patrick are possibilities, does it make sense bringing in a high cost name?

I don't know how good Hall would be at 29:
pro-rated to 80 games, ES scoring
2015-16: 22-31 53
2016-17: 14-28 42
2017-18; 26-31 57
2018-19: 24-36 60
2019-20: 14-26 40
JVR
2015-16: 18-22 40
2016-17: 23-20 43
2017-18: 25-9 34
2018-19: 23-19 42
2019-20: 18-19 37

Would you rather have JVR at 3yr/$7M or Hall at 7yr/$9M?
Hall at 3yr/$9M > JVR at $7M, but then you have to pay him from age 32-35.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Fletcher has been pretty clear he has little interest in free agents.
Both Fletcher and AV have been pretty adamant about how much they like their young players, both on the team and the prospects on teh verge of the NHL.

You are more than old enough, and way more than enough of a hippie, to just sit there and swallow the horse shit that comes out of management.

Reactions: Starat327

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You are more than old enough, and way more than enough of a hippie, to just sit there and swallow the horse shit that comes out of management.

It's not much different than reading Politboro tea leaves.

They're priming the fans for an offseason of minor moves, if they were looking to make big moves, they'd say things like: "we really are proud of this team, but we think with the right moves we can go deeper into the playoffs next season. So we'll be looking for opportunities to improve the team this offseason. We owe it to our players and our fans."

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Ghost, unless you trade Ghost for a #4 (I think Myers is the #3) or York or Zamula steps in at 4, which isn't unimaginable.

sure it is. No way york and zamula jump into a top 4 role paying pk, pp, and 20+ minutes that sanheim provides. Look how many years it finally took sanheim to get there...now we just expect one of two rookies to do it all? No head coach does that unless they are makar level talent coming in

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hard pass on Taylor Hall. He'll be 29 this year, has off-ice issues, and his production has waned. If I'm spending that kind of money, I'm making a trade for someone younger.

Reactions: Benji007

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I mean I am ambitious with my trade discussions but you're just crazy pal

Haha, I'm just having fun on a slow day.

I gotta say, I do miss the excitement of an offseason under Homer.

Now, don't get me wrong - he lost his mind in the final 3 years or so, and set the franchise back pretty bad. I would NOT want him back. I like what we have on the roster, in the pipeline, and the general direction of the franchise.

But when he was at the helm, it was exciting knowing that nothing crazy was ever off the table.

Trading your captain and top scorer on the same day? That takes balls.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Now, don't get me wrong - he lost his mind in the final 3 years or so, and set the franchise back pretty bad. I would NOT want him back. I like what we have on the roster, in the pipeline, and the general direction of the franchise.

But when he was at the helm, it was exciting knowing that nothing crazy was ever off the table.

Well, that's one way to put it.
Other people might consider a saliva test.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Which is why I don't believe in trading prospects/picks except in certain circumstances:
1) you're a legitimate playoff contender, not a bubble team but a top 8 or close to it team
2) you're trading low value assets for patches that will make you more competitive in the playoffs
3) you're trading surplus high value assets for top 9/top 4 players under control or with whom you're pretty sure you can negotiate a reasonable extension

So St Louis gave up 3 1st rd picks and some other assets to land ROR and Schenn, but both are in their prime and under team control for years.
It might hurt them 5 years from now, meanwhile they have enough young players to deal with it (Thomas, et al).

Islanders gave up a 1st and 2nd for Pageau, but he's locked up long-term and has been a key to getting to the CF. They got a iffy draft record anyway (Bellows, Wilde et al) so they got a sure thing for picks in the 20s and 50s.

When you're a top 8 or so team, you're trading #20+ in the draft, a valuable but not prime asset (though St Louis kinda screwed up when the Flyers got #14 and landed Farabee), so if you're getting a starter who'll play a major role, it's usually worth it.

Flyers have a deep prospect pool, so packaging a couple prospects and a 1st rd pick for a clear upgrade under team control makes sense at some point, but not for veteran "name" patches (i.e. 1 or 2 years left on the contract, no cap room to resign, or a player over 30 with a short shelf life).
agree. Sadly with the ED looming this is PROBABLY not the off-season to do it.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Not saying they won’t be effected at all but I think the top tier free agents like Hall & Pietrangelo aren’t going to take a big bath like the mid & low tier free agents are. It’s still going to be a considerable commitment to get their signatures imo.
wonder if either of them have the stones to go short term

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Last offseason was the most action we had in a summer in a long time.

Hayes trade and sign
Niskanen trade
Braun trade
Pitlick trade
Sanheim, Konecny, Provorov extensions

Reactions: flyersnorth

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Hall/Coots/TK
Lindblom/Hayes/Giroux
Farabee/Patrick/Frost
Raffl/Laughton/NAK
Sandin

Provorov/Pietrangelo
Sanheim/Myers
Zamula/Niskanen
Hagg

But dat defense tho.

The problem with adding defensemen like that is you have to protect them in the expansion draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad