Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I wasn't talking about that. Or even you, necessarily. Mostly just this "Arizona simply has to trade everything for picks because they don't have any. Also, they should trade everyone for peanuts for money"-narrative in the (mostly) amateur media and their consumers.

I mean, it sucks, obviously. We'd be better off with the two picks, obviously. I just don't get the apocalyptic hot takes.

It just means that we won't have the boost from this years draft and the next in 4-6 years time when we want to be a good team.

Look at Dallas. In 2015 they drafted 1st round - Gurianov, 2nd round - Roope Hintz. Both players played a huge part in helping Dallas make it to the SC finals. We won't have that kind of help down the line because there is a huge hole in our draft table, this year and next. That's all. Not the end of the world, but that crucial boost to help us improve for free won't be there. Which means we won't contend for a long, long time.

Reactions: XX

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
You need a constant drip feed of cheap ELC talent onto your team to sustain it. You'll lose players to injury/trades/FA every year. If you have nobody to replace them, you're left paying top dollar for FAs or spending assets to trade for guys, deepening the original problem.

Reactions: CLW

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Hi Coyotes fans,

I had the pleasure of drafting for Arizona in the Hfboards Avs mock draft, and I'm curious what you think of these picks?

upload_2020-10-2_12-58-58.png

Farrell is a small but highly intelligent forward from the USHL Chicago Steel and he's often ranked inside the top 50 by prominent scouts, so getting him at 111 is good value imo.

Cardwell is also on the small side, but he's projected by some to go in the 3rd round as one of the youngest players in the draft class, and has the potential to be a top 10-20 scorer in his D+1 year.

Marko Stacha is an underrated 2-way LHD who was Slovakia's best Dman at the WJC, finishing a +/- 0 on a weak team that got lit up a bit. He's played his draft year in the Slovakan mens league, and will be playing next season for Vancouver Giants in the WHL (presumably as Bowen Byram's direct replacement).

Didkovsky is a real swing-for-the-fences pick, but seeing as he's ranked in the 70's by many scouts he's incredible value in the 7th round. He hits a lot, is very mobile, and has a fantastic shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: degustator

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Hi Coyotes fans,

I had the pleasure of drafting for Arizona in the Hfboards Avs mock draft, and I'm curious what you think of these picks?

View attachment 369916

Farrell is a small but highly intelligent forward from the USHL Chicago Steel and he's often ranked inside the top 50 by prominent scouts, so getting him at 111 is good value imo.

Cardwell is also on the small side, but he's projected by some to go in the 3rd round as one of the youngest players in the draft class, and has the potential to be a top 10-20 scorer in his D+1 year.

Marko Stacha is an underratd 2-way LHD who was Slovakia's best Dman at the WJC, finishing a +/- 0 on a weak team that got lit up a bit. He's played his draft year in the Slovakan mens league, and will be playing next season for Vancouver Giants in the WHL (presumably as Bowen Byram's direct replacement).

Didkovsky is a real swing-for-the-fences pick, but seeing as he's ranked in the 70's by many scouts he's incredible value in the 7th round. He hits a lot, is very mobile, and has a fantastic shot.
Looks like you did well.

Reactions: Richard88

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hi Coyotes fans,

View attachment 369916

Marko Stacha is an underrated 2-way LHD who was Slovakia's best Dman at the WJC, finishing a +/- 0 on a weak team that got lit up a bit. He's played his draft year in the Slovakan mens league, and will be playing next season for Vancouver Giants in the WHL (presumably as Bowen Byram's direct replacement).

I’m hoping for Didkovsky with our first pick

Reactions: Richard88

rt

May 13, 2004
@Richard88 - you did just what I’ve speculated we should do. Because we’re picking late, I hope we go after US Jrs, USHL, Canadian Jr A, The MHL and the lesser scouted European countries. It’s really hard to find hidden gems in 2020. But I think the MHL especially is a bit under-drafted.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
@Richard88 - you did just what I’ve speculated we should do. Because we’re picking late, I hope we go after US Jrs, USHL, Canadian Jr A, The MHL and the lesser scouted European countries. It’s really hard to find hidden gems in 2020. But I think the MHL especially is a bit under-drafted.
Glad you liked my strategy. :)

I agree that some of these leagues are under-represented in the draft. The MHL especially is brimming with talent this year and also has a handful of really good overragers that could be had in the late rounds.

rt

May 13, 2004
Glad you liked my strategy. :)

I agree that some of these leagues are under-represented in the draft. The MHL especially is brimming with talent this year and also has a handful of really good overragers that could be had in the late rounds.
Agreed. That Chinakov is really appealing. I never realized until this past season that it’s a fun league to watch, also. Full games are available for free on YouTube (asynchronously). I’d be happy to load up on MHLers.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Agreed. That Chinakov is really appealing.
I agree. Chinakhov is a guy I considered in the late rounds. Other interesting names in the late rounds are Gutik, Suchkov, Likhachyov, Rangayev, Galimov, Skotnikov, etc... No shortage to choose from.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
The chances of any Coyotes pick in this draft amounting to anything are so infinitesimally small that I can’t imagine putting any thought into it.

rt

May 13, 2004
The chances of any Coyotes pick in this draft amounting to anything are so infinitesimally small that I can’t imagine putting any thought into it.
Infinitesimal is the wrong word. There are great picks in the 4th and 5th round, the trick is to be the team good enough to spot them and take them. That's why having a great scouting staff is important. Let's just go back half a decade, now that the dust has settled and check-out 2015 and 2014:

2015 -Rd 4 -117 - Caleb Jones
2015 -Rd 4 -120 - Mathieu Joseph
2015 -Rd 5 -123 - Conor Garland
2015 -Rd 5 -124 - Ethan Bear
2015 -Rd 5 -135 - Kirill Kaprizov
2015 -Rd 5 -137 - Dominik Simon
2015 -Rd 5 -139 - Christian Jaros
2015 -Rd 5 -149 - Adam Gaudette

2014 -Rd 4 -97 - Lucas Wallmark
2014 -Rd 4 -108 - Devon Toews
2014 -Rd 4 -112 - Viktor Arvidsson
2014 -Rd 4 -116 - Dan Heinen
2014 -Rd 4 -118 - Igor Shestyorkin
2014 -Rd 5 -146 - Anders Bjork
2014 -Rd 5 -146 - Sammy Blais

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Infinitesimal is the wrong word. There are great picks in the 4th and 5th round, the trick is to be the team good enough to spot them and take them. That's why having a great scouting staff is important. Let's just go back half a decade, now that the dust has settled and check-out 2015 and 2014:

2015 -Rd 4 -117 - Caleb Jones
2015 -Rd 4 -120 - Mathieu Joseph
2015 -Rd 5 -123 - Conor Garland
2015 -Rd 5 -124 - Ethan Bear
2015 -Rd 5 -135 - Kirill Kaprizov
2015 -Rd 5 -137 - Dominik Simon
2015 -Rd 5 -139 - Christian Jaros
2015 -Rd 5 -149 - Adam Gaudette

2014 -Rd 4 -97 - Lucas Wallmark
2014 -Rd 4 -108 - Devon Toews
2014 -Rd 4 -112 - Viktor Arvidsson
2014 -Rd 4 -116 - Dan Heinen
2014 -Rd 4 -118 - Igor Shestyorkin
2014 -Rd 5 -146 - Anders Bjork
2014 -Rd 5 -146 - Sammy Blais

Nice find - some big names in there. To your point about the team being strong enough to identify them. Who are going to be the top 3 guys making the picks? Sullivan, Jankowski, and (?).

I'm sure the guys who got let go already have their draft board made up, so I wonder how much that board is changing now with different guys leading the conversation.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Jankowski should be allowed to participate, which maybe changes the math on the 2020 v 2021 debate a bit.

rt

May 13, 2004
Jankowski should be allowed to participate, which maybe changes the math on the 2020 v 2021 debate a bit.
I think you're right that it does. The new guy on the beat for AZ Central confirmed that he can. It's plainly obvious that BA trusts him, or he wouldn't have hired him. I'm sure Jankowski and Sullivan are more than happy to take the Hofford list, do their own shuffling, and BA is happy to provide them with more picks. I think he'd still likely prefer picks that he and Plandowski can contribute to in 2021, but the extra year of waiting likely balances this a bit.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wouldn't be surprised at all if OEL is shuffled off to Boston and Kuemper is swapped (likely with Edmonton or Toronto) on draft night involving mainly 2020 picks. I'd put Schmaltz and Raanta in that group too.

Plandowski was brought in for his knowledge on guys that have already been picked just as much as he was for future picks. There will be other chances to get 2021 picks. It's not a huge deal.

Could end up being an exciting, important night for the franchise.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think you're right that it does. The new guy on the beat for AZ Central confirmed that he can. It's plainly obvious that BA trusts him, or he wouldn't have hired him. I'm sure Jankowski and Sullivan are more than happy to take the Hofford list, do their own shuffling, and BA is happy to provide them with more picks. I think he'd still likely prefer picks that he and Plandowski can contribute to in 2021, but the extra year of waiting likely balances this a bit.

OT but I like the new guy at the AZ Central. An uptick on the old guy too.

rt

May 13, 2004
OT but I like the new guy at the AZ Central. An uptick on the old guy too.
I do like him but I've got reservations about how much he knows about hockey. Then again, I just listened to the Locked On Coyotes podcast and those guys admitted the only started watching hockey midway through the Dave Tippett era. It seems like we always get "Sports" fans that end up stuck covering hockey. We never seem to get people who have hockey as their first choice of coverage.

Makes me wish I actually knew how to write.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad