Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Entry Draft (Round #1 - 10/6/20 @ 7pm ET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Josh Doan is eligible for this draft. How would everyone feeling about taking him with our 7th as reach of good will to captain coyote himself? He may not becoming anything but how often do 7th rounders turn out anyway.
I'd be on board. Chayka prolly wouldn't.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Nah. Use picks on real players. The Devils did the same with Brodeur's kid. Wasted pick.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I was playing around with a cool draft sim game. I made lots, and lots of trades (draft picks only). Both up and down. I ended up with:

1. Ozzy Wiesblatt - C/RW
2. Justin Sourdif - RW/C
3. Donovan Sebrango - LD
4. Blake Biondi - C
5. Trevor Kuntar - C
6. Billy Constantinou - RD

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Former Coyotes pick Noel Hoefenmayer named CHL Defenceman of the Year. Hope we didn’t screw up in not signing him.

rt

May 13, 2004
Former Coyotes pick Noel Hoefenmayer named CHL Defenceman of the Year. Hope we didn’t screw up in not signing him.
Important to note that he's in his FIFTH full season in the OHL. This article makes it sound like his on-ice and off-ice factors all needed a lot of work, and he made a lot of progress recently. Apparently, he played an immature game (one-dimensional) and was immature off-ice, as well. It's good to see that he's figured things out. He sounds like he's really committed now, and has made a ton of progress. Very happy for him.

Another thing noted here is that the Coyotes had a lot of defense in the system when it came time to make a decision on him. Since then they've moved POJ and Bahl. They might have kept him if they knew they'd suddenly get a lot thinner at LD in the prospect pool.

That 2017 draft sure is...interesting...
1-23-POJ (traded)
2-44-Westerlund (bust)
3-69-Entwistle (traded)
3-75-Schnarr (traded)
3-82-Crotty (signed)
5-108-Hoefenmayer (un-signed)
5-126-Karow (un-signed)
5-128-Steenbergen (AHL)
7-190-Walli-Walterholm (un-signed)

So that leaves us with Cam Crotty and Tyler Steenbergen.

Crotty is a defensive D-man, who had 8pts as a freshman at BU, then 10pts as a Sophomore, and just wrapped up his junior season with 9pts. Again, his game isn't points. That said, almost all elite defensive D in the NHL were heavy point-producers as amateur players. We will see if Crotty can be an exception.

Steenbergen has 48 points in 120 AHL games and is 22 years old (which is older than Clayton Keller if anyone is counting). He could possibly be something but he's a long-shot. Pretty sure he's John Chayka's ONLY draft pick from the WHL ever, by the way. Haha.

But at least we have 10.75 million in cap-hit committed to Derek Stepan (28 points this season) and Antti Raanta (averaged only 30gp per season since we acquired him). And zero merit-based playoff appearances in that time.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Haven't heard the immaturity surrounding Hoefenmayer (not saying it isn't true) but I have heard the biggest drawback is his skating. Point totals largely reflective of playing on a stacked 67's team.

Hard to tell with these awards. Brendan Shinnimin was CHL Player of the Year once upon a time too.

Edit: Tendeck is a WHL pick too.

Reactions: hbk

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Josh Doan is eligible for this draft. How would everyone feeling about taking him with our 7th as reach of good will to captain coyote himself? He may not becoming anything but how often do 7th rounders turn out anyway.

I like Liam Kirk style gambles better. We don't need more Jedd Soleway style picks. The scouting department is competent now.

rt

May 13, 2004
Haven't heard the immaturity surrounding Hoefenmayer (not saying it isn't true) but I have heard the biggest drawback is his skating. Point totals largely reflective of playing on a stacked 67's team.

Hard to tell with these awards. Brendan Shinnimin was CHL Player of the Year once upon a time too.

Edit: Tendeck is a WHL pick too.
I hadn’t before I read that article. But we all heard the horror stories about what an immature asshat Garland was. Now I’d just as soon name him captain. He had big red flags about his game, too. He was a flash and dash and no substance. Now suddenly he’s the most effective power forward we’ve had on this team in years. Kids change and grow. I’m rooting for Hoefenmayer.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I lean toward we made the right call on Hoefenmayer. Otherwise someone else would have signed him. Best he could get was an AHL deal.

Reactions: hbk

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think it also speaks volumes that NJ didn't take a crack at Hoef considering how much they must watch Ottawa (they have like 4 or 5 guys on that team, including Bahl now), and considering that that team is a shithouse, it'd be worth taking a crack at Hoef if they believed he was any good.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It was a mistake. The team needs more young D prospects having traded several away (deAngelo, Bahl, Joseph).

And the Maple Leafs have signed him.

rt

May 13, 2004
I like Liam Kirk style gambles better. We don't need more Jedd Soleway style picks. The scouting department is competent now.
Exactly. There are some long-shot overagers with high upside late in this draft. Think Xavier Simoneau or Trevor Kuntar or Billy Constantinou or Luke Toporowski.

rt

May 13, 2004
Guys I like that MIGHT be around at 41:
Seth Jarvis
Ozzy Wiesblatt
Ridly Greig
Tristen Robins
Marat Khusnutdinov
Vasili Ponomaryov
Jake Neighbours
Zayde Wisdom
Justin Sourdif

Guys I like more in that 103 range:
Tyler Tullio
Rory Kerins
Donovan Sebrango
Jack Thompson
Sam Knazko
Ruben Rafkin
Isaak Phillips
Kyle Crnkovic
Logan Morrison
Connor McClennon
Blake Biondi

Guys I like more inthat 165 range:
Xavier Simoneau
Trevor Kuntar
Jackson Kunz
Billy Constantinou

Last edited:

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
That was fun. Would be more fun if we had a 1st rounder.

41 Vasili Ponomaryov C
103 Oskar Magnusson C
134 Grant Slukynsky C
174 Trevor Kuntar C
198 Hugo Styf LD
216 Yegor Chinakhov RW

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Guys I like that MIGHT be around at 41:
Seth Jarvis
Ozzy Wiesblatt
Ridly Greig
Tristen Robins
Marat Khusnutdinov
Vasili Ponomaryov
Jake Neighbours
Zayde Wisdom
Justin Sourdif

Guys I like more in that 103 range:
Tyler Tullio
Rory Kerins
Donovan Sebrango
Jack Thompson
Sam Knazko
Ruben Rafkin
Isaak Phillips
Logan Morrison
Connor McClennon
Blake Biondi

Guys I like more inthat 165 range:
Xavier Simoneau
Trevor Kuntar
Jackson Kunz
Tobias Handl
Billy Constantinou

Ponomarev is interesting. A lot of determination. Big fan of neighbours. Doubt Jarvis is on the board at that pick.

I’d pick McC or LoMo from the next group. Avoid Tullio.

I wouldn’t use a pick on Constantinou, just wait to see if you can get him as an undrafted free agent

rt

May 13, 2004
What do Ozzy Wiesblatt and Ridly Greig have that Tristen Robins doesn't?

They're all taller than 5'10 and shorter than 6'0.
Robins was born in November of 01, while Wiesblatt March of 02 and Greig August of 02 (so he's a bit younger than one, and a lot older than the other, but average draft age).
They all play center (all are often listed as wings but clearly have face-off attempts numbers that indicated full-time centers)
Robins has the best FO% of the three
Robins has the best Goal per GP of the three
Robins has the best Pts/GP% of the three (1.18 vs 1.09 for Wiesblatt and 1.07 for Greig)
Robins has the fewest of his points via the power play
Robins the highest hare of total team offense (35% vs 33% for Wiesblatt and 26% for Greig)
Robins has the highest share of total team goals, too (16% vs 12% and 11%)

Scouting reports and highlight videos on all three boast about them being well-rounded, 200ft centers, who can pass and shoot, and play hard-nosed, direct, gritty games.

All three seem VERY similar to me as an arm-chair scout. Yet Robins is regular ranked 1-2 full rounds behind Greig and Wiesblatt. I generally see Robins ranked 55-85, and occasionally much later (in the 100s). Yet Greig and Wiesblatt are usually ranked anywhere from the mid-to-late teens to the early-to-mid 40s.

Can any WHL watchers help me understand?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This thing is waaaay too much fun:

draftsim

You’re welcome. :)

Nice find

#41 and 134 to MTL for #61, 70, and 101

#70 and #196 to NYR for #76 and 169

61: C/RW Weisblatt
76: LW Greig - he was there at 70 and still fell to 76
101: LD Truscott
103: RW/C Cardwell (he has been an OHL scholastic player of the month before, and Chayka seems to like smart guys who are dedicated to studying)
165: C Kunz
169: LD Baker

Most are all going around where I would expect. A few here and there that I am not certain of, but yeah, between about 20 and 80, you could make the case that there is not much to separate some of these players.

rt

May 13, 2004
What do Ozzy Wiesblatt and Ridly Greig have that Tristen Robins doesn't?

They're all taller than 5'10 and shorter than 6'0.
Robins was born in November of 01, while Wiesblatt March of 02 and Greig August of 02 (so he's a bit younger than one, and a lot older than the other, but average draft age).
They all play center (all are often listed as wings but clearly have face-off attempts numbers that indicated full-time centers)
Robins has the best FO% of the three
Robins has the best Goal per GP of the three
Robins has the best Pts/GP% of the three (1.18 vs 1.09 for Wiesblatt and 1.07 for Greig)
Robins has the fewest of his points via the power play
Robins the highest hare of total team offense (35% vs 33% for Wiesblatt and 26% for Greig)
Robins has the highest share of total team goals, too (16% vs 12% and 11%)

Scouting reports and highlight videos on all three boast about them being well-rounded, 200ft centers, who can pass and shoot, and play hard-nosed, direct, gritty games.

All three seem VERY similar to me as an arm-chair scout. Yet Robins is regular ranked 1-2 full rounds behind Greig and Wiesblatt. I generally see Robins ranked 55-85, and occasionally much later (in the 100s). Yet Greig and Wiesblatt are usually ranked anywhere from the mid-to-late teens to the early-to-mid 40s.

Can any WHL watchers help me understand?
Interesting that Connor Zary was born in September of 2001 and Ridly Greig in August of 2002. Zary just finished his 3rd WHL season and Greig his 2nd. Greig’s 1st two WHL seasons are remarkably similar to Zary’s.

rt

May 13, 2004
1:
Lafreniere
Byfield
Rossi
Stutzle

41:
Wiesblatt
Greig