2020 NHL Entry Draft - Never too early....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Is Byfield highly skilled? my concern with a guy like that would be he just filled out quicker than everyone but if he has the elite skill to go with it then he should be fine

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
He's not as skilled as Lafreniere/Raymond, but he is very good in that department. High end vision.
i don't know if you meant that yeah he is really skilled....... but his skills is different than other that early....... i, by what i have read is more like a true old time PF .......

remember i been on his bandwagon since last season.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
from what i have read, i am getting really interested in Cole Perfetti ...... my rankings for my interest is Byfield, Raymond and Perfetti.

I love Perfetti. One of my favorite prospects. I get a Marner vibe from him but I think a better chance to stick at C.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I love Perfetti. One of my favorite prospects. I get a Marner vibe from him but I think a better chance to stick at C.
i really would love to see/read to see if he can be that resilient when key teams will start trying to focus on him. meaning constantly laying a body on him......

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
and another wasted yr of talent ...... the talent of Kane, Toews and Keith.
Really LDF .. I mean we won three ... count'm 3 Stanley Cups with our core ... that being Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabs and Hossa. Sure we can want or hope for more but in reality the odds are pretty slim.
It's time now for a new core to develop and for that we need a few more high picks. Stan has kind of done great salvaging a couple high picks who were underperforming like Strome and Nylander. Debrincat is the deal and with Boqvist, Mitchell and Beaudin we have our next set of top 4 D
If picking top 5 this year is what it takes to be back in the mix again for the cup than I say that's alright with me!!
In all honesty though .. with how the team finished last season and with the new guys this year like Mattaa, DeHaan and Lehner not to mention Kubalik and Shaw returning really can still see this particular group turning it around and making the dance. But if it comes down to making the PO's to go out in the first round vs sucking to get a top 5 pick and being that much closer to another mini dynasty than I think the choice is clear.

Reactions: Muffinalt

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Really LDF .. I mean we won three ... count'm 3 Stanley Cups with our core ... that being Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabs and Hossa. Sure we can want or hope for more but in reality the odds are pretty slim.
It's time now for a new core to develop and for that we need a few more high picks. Stan has kind of done great salvaging a couple high picks who were underperforming like Strome and Nylander. Debrincat is the deal and with Boqvist, Mitchell and Beaudin we have our next set of top 4 D
If picking top 5 this year is what it takes to be back in the mix again for the cup than I say that's alright with me!!
In all honesty though .. with how the team finished last season and with the new guys this year like Mattaa, DeHaan and Lehner not to mention Kubalik and Shaw returning really can still see this particular group turning it around and making the dance. But if it comes down to making the PO's to go out in the first round vs sucking to get a top 5 pick and being that much closer to another mini dynasty than I think the choice is clear.
no offense but quit living in the past. how long ago was the last trip to the SC final ??

now count those yrs til now and that is all on SB table for screwing up this team. count those yr again and use your intelligence to convince yourself that Sb will lead this team to the SC...... i am sorry to say, but i have no confidence that they will make it anytime in the foreseeable future. that is unless something major changes happen.

if looking at the draft and that being the key, then why make all those moves in the off-season. acquiring all those players ?? is your answer is "so they can be picking #5 ...... is that really your answer ??

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Tim Stutzle looks absolutely amazing too. Destroying the DHL as a 17 year old, competing against man. Hes already such a complete player with elite hockey iq and skill, great agile skating, compete and defensive game. Very dynamic with really good puck protection - always a recipe for elite players.

I think hes becoming my favorite prospect in the whole draft. Not the best competition of course, but his showings cant be ignored. It will be nice to see how he does at the WJC.

Lots of great shift by shift cuts and highlights in his prospect thread. Few posters comparing his game to Sebastion Aho. I can see it too, his smarts and poise is off the charts.

C Tim Stützle - Jungadler Mannheim, DNL U20 (2020 Draft)

Really this drafts top 5 looks absolutely filthy.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
no offense but quit living in the past. how long ago was the last trip to the SC final ??

now count those yrs til now and that is all on SB table for screwing up this team. count those yr again and use your intelligence to convince yourself that Sb will lead this team to the SC...... i am sorry to say, but i have no confidence that they will make it anytime in the foreseeable future. that is unless something major changes happen.

if looking at the draft and that being the key, then why make all those moves in the off-season. acquiring all those players ?? is your answer is "so they can be picking #5 ...... is that really your answer ??

I don't think I'm living in the past there ole bean .. though I will always cherish those three runs!
To me to fret over winning another cup with the old core just doesn't make a lot of sense .. they've all been in the league for 10 + years and with the mileage they have on their bodies it just isn't very likely. Sure I would love it if they could go for one or even two more runs but I'm not going to get upset if they don't. I'm looking to the future and getting another top 5 pick could help with that. Stan has to do what he can in the present to improve the team all the while drafting and making trades for potential contributors to a future cup run with a new core. Look at LA and now even Pittsburgh to a degree.
They won their cups and now they have to deal with the same over paid veterans and how to build up again. Detroit is still wallowing after their runs and the departure of the higher paid stars. It's all part of the circle of life for success. San Jose has never won anything and they too are dealing with some older players with big bucks locked in for term. I don't think there is a fan out there who wouldn't trade spots with us to have their team with three cups won in the last 10 years and to be in the current situation the Hawks are in.
I guess I'm just ok with however it goes .. I'm satisfied, super satisfied as a fan but at the same time I like our team and it's prospects and I get super excited that we could draft another future star perhaps and yes I do like winning ... like all the time!

Reactions: Geoist

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't think I'm living in the past there ole bean .. though I will always cherish those three runs!
To me to fret over winning another cup with the old core just doesn't make a lot of sense .. they've all been in the league for 10 + years and with the mileage they have on their bodies it just isn't very likely. Sure I would love it if they could go for one or even two more runs but I'm not going to get upset if they don't. I'm looking to the future and getting another top 5 pick could help with that. Stan has to do what he can in the present to improve the team all the while drafting and making trades for potential contributors to a future cup run with a new core. Look at LA and now even Pittsburgh to a degree.
They won their cups and now they have to deal with the same over paid veterans and how to build up again. Detroit is still wallowing after their runs and the departure of the higher paid stars. It's all part of the circle of life for success. San Jose has never won anything and they too are dealing with some older players with big bucks locked in for term. I don't think there is a fan out there who wouldn't trade spots with us to have their team with three cups won in the last 10 years and to be in the current situation the Hawks are in.
I guess I'm just ok with however it goes .. I'm satisfied, super satisfied as a fan but at the same time I like our team and it's prospects and I get super excited that we could draft another future star perhaps and yes I do like winning ... like all the time!

That doesn’t address his point about acquiring veterans instead of looking to the future. You said yourself the core has a ton of mileage and a run in the immediate future is unlikely. If that’s the case, they should be actually building toward another run, i.e. acquiring more picks and prospects, not veterans on long term deals. Would you be satisfied with becoming the Minnesota Wild so the team can keep selling out?

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
That doesn’t address his point about acquiring veterans instead of looking to the future. You said yourself the core has a ton of mileage and a run in the immediate future is unlikely. If that’s the case, they should be actually building toward another run, i.e. acquiring more picks and prospects, not veterans on long term deals. Would you be satisfied with becoming the Minnesota Wild so the team can keep selling out?
No I would not want the Hawks to become the Minnesota Wild !
My original post was in reply to LDF's comment of yet another year wasted on our talented core of Kane, Toews and Keith. To me we hit gold with this core ( not to mention the other awesome players who were a big part of the 3 cups ) and what's the point about getting upset about them not winning a 4th. Stan did what he could and got a couple vet Dmen to help out until our kids are coming into their primes ( which will not be for another 2 to 3 years which happens to coincide with the ending of Maatta and DeHaan's contracts ) more or less. We could do without Smith but we got a taker for Anisimov so it's a wash. I'm not thrilled we don't have a better record right now but in the big picture I'm happy and I see a bright future for our new young core. Sure we can argue that Stan shouldn't have acquired these guys and just gone with cheaper shorter termed players but he did't and who am I or any of us armchair GM's to call it a fail definitively?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
sb needs to keep improving the team...... ok i will bite. to maintain that status quo as you said does not mean giving any flexibility to maneuver during the season and probably next off season. that also means giving new contracts to players who needs a pay raise or more player movement. b/c of the off season moves, there is little to no room to make any player movements, b/c we have our back to the salary cap ......

so yeah i am with you on cherishing those 3 SC rings. but lets not be blind on the team performance and future.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
My original post was in reply to LDF's comment of yet another year wasted on our talented core of Kane, Toews and Keith. To me we hit gold with this core ( not to mention the other awesome players who were a big part of the 3 cups ) and what's the point about getting upset about them not winning a 4th. Stan did what he could and got a couple vet Dmen to help out until our kids are coming into their primes ( which will not be for another 2 to 3 years which happens to coincide with the ending of Maatta and DeHaan's contracts ) more or less. We could do without Smith but we got a taker for Anisimov so it's a wash. I'm not thrilled we don't have a better record right now but in the big picture I'm happy and I see a bright future for our new young core. Sure we can argue that Stan shouldn't have acquired these guys and just gone with cheaper shorter termed players but he did't and who am I or any of us armchair GM's to call it a fail definitively?

your post is trying to justify the yrs since the winning of the last of the 3 SC rings. to add that it may be another several yrs until the possibility of another run..... come on, i really thought you were smarter than what your post is showing.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
your post is trying to justify the yrs since the winning of the last of the 3 SC rings. to add that it may be another several yrs until the possibility of another run..... come on, i really thought you were smarter than what your post is showing.

I don't think you of all people should be making rude comments like that. Especially because @crazyhawk is replying very respectfully to your above posts which I think deserves praise in itself.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't think you of all people should be making rude comments like that. Especially because @crazyhawk is replying very respectfully to your above posts which I think deserves praise in itself.
trust me, i was not being rude at all.......

however if it came across as such, then i truly apologize. my post was meant as a figure of speech.

btw i appreciate you posting it, it will make me think further on my replying.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

I feel exactly the same as you do. They hit gold with that core. So why have they been so bad the last few years? The last 2 seasons before this tested their prospect pool and there wasn’t enough there. It was a waste of 2 years of the core. I can’t speak for anyone else, but all I care about is them picking a lane and staying in it. If that means rebuilding until the team is flush with young talent, so be it. If it means trying to win now, then win now because otherwise they are wasting valuable time.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I feel exactly the same as you do. They hit gold with that core. So why have they been so bad the last few years? The last 2 seasons before this tested their prospect pool and there wasn’t enough there. It was a waste of 2 years of the core. I can’t speak for anyone else, but all I care about is them picking a lane and staying in it. If that means rebuilding until the team is flush with young talent, so be it. If it means trying to win now, then win now because otherwise they are wasting valuable time.
but that is my problem here. i have no, i will say this again, NO !!! faith in the current management to fix this problem.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Another player I love is Jamie Drysdale. He had a good year last year and is dominating this year with 19 points in 17 games. I think he goes top-5. I know it’s early, but my top-5 would likely be Lafreniere, Byfield, Raymond, Perfetti, and Drysdale. I think Drysdale has a Bowen Byram-like rise when it’s all said and done. Not sure if he’s nearly the defender that Byram is but in terms of offensive talent and overall game, he’s the top defenseman in the draft.

Reactions: d rake and LDF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad