2020 NHL Entry Draft 2 - 17th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Holloway I'm good with. I think he can be a solid top 9 option that gives us some 2 way play and physicality. He's not flashy so he's not going to be as exciting as an Amirov, Mercer, Khusnutdinov, Gunler, etc.

I'd be content with the pick, but it depends who is still available.
It doesn't seem like Khusnutdinov is as highly regarded as you think among NHL evaluators. He seems to be firmly in the 25-35 range, unlikely to be there for the Hawks 2nd rounder and a reach at 17.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Holloway fills the Saad hole (eventually).

Seems like the kind of player Colliton wants more of on his team...responsible two way player that can play wing and center and brings some size and physicality, can play up and down lineup, option to have on team as soon as next year and a long term replacement for Saad if they choose not to give him an extension...Seems like unless someone falls there is a decent chance that he will be the pick...

Reactions: bwana63

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Seems like the kind of player Colliton wants more of on his team...responsible two way player that can play wing and center and brings some size and physicality, can play up and down lineup, option to have on team as soon as next year and a long term replacement for Saad if they choose not to give him an extension...Seems like unless someone falls there is a decent chance that he will be the pick...

If Mercer and Amirov (probably) are gone, I think Holloway's the choice. That said, don't ask who I thought we'd pick the last few years, lol.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
It doesn't seem like Khusnutdinov is as highly regarded as you think among NHL evaluators. He seems to be firmly in the 25-35 range, unlikely to be there for the Hawks 2nd rounder and a reach at 17.
I have heard that a couple teams may have him ranked in the teens. But I don't know who they are.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If Mercer and Amirov (probably) are gone, I think Holloway's the choice. That said, don't ask who I thought we'd pick the last few years, lol.

Exactly...the last two years the board collectively had Wahlstrom or Hughes/Dobson as the likely pick in 18 and Byram or Turcotte in 19...Hawks will probably be pretty air tight with leaks this year versus last year when Dach was leaked as the pick hours before the draft so it will be a complete guessing game who they're targeting...

Last edited:

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
$: NHL Mock Draft 2020: Corey Pronman projects all seven rounds

Hawks: Mercer, Foudy, Simontaival, Puutio, Miller, Olas, Miller

Of interest: Marat #32, Coleangelo #38, Bordeleau #39

Aside from Mercer at #17 and Simontaival in the 3rd, absolutely hate this draft. Foudy is too boom or bust to take that early (He’s a 3rd round prospect IMO), Miller has character issues, and the others are just a big old pile of meh. I’d be pissed if this was our draft.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Amirov is probably the guy I want if Jarvis and Mercer are gone. I feel like he’s going to be a really good two-way player that could be looked at as a steal relative to where he was drafted years from now.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Wonder if players like Kayumov and Shalunov not coming over from the KHL enters their thought process at all with Amirov...Assuming Amirov is more or less equal to others at that pick why bother dealing with that possibility he doesnt come over to the NHL for a while if ever..

Reactions: Giovi

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Wonder if players like Kayumov and Shalunov not coming over from the KHL enters their thought process at all with Amirov...Assuming Amirov is more or less equal to others at that pick why bother dealing with that possibility he doesnt come over to the NHL for a while if ever..

I mean, most of the great Russian players come over, but it’s certainly a risk.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Those guys weren't first round picks so I think it's a bit different.

Also if the Hawks are interested in investing their 1st round pick in Amirov, chances are they've discussed his willingness to come over in interviews.

He's just signed through this season, so after this the Hawks can probably dictate how much longer they want him to spend in Russia.

Reactions: d rake and bwana63

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
#17 is a tough one.

Zach Parise was a #17 pick. (great)
so was
David Rundblad (meh)
and
Marek Schwarz (bad)

Prob 50/50 chance that player ever becomes a regular NHLer for more than a season or two.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Using that draft sim site (with Bob's rankings), I made what I thought were realistic picks for the Hawks.

#17 - Rodion Amirov
#46 - Sam Colangelo
#78 - Eamon Powell
#80 - Emil Heineman
#109 - Christoffer Sedoff
#140 - Devon Levi
#171 - Benjamin Baumgartner

Reactions: HawksDub89

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Using that draft sim site (with Bob's rankings), I made what I thought were realistic picks for the Hawks.

#17 - Rodion Amirov
#46 - Sam Colangelo
#78 - Eamon Powell
#80 - Emil Heineman
#109 - Christoffer Sedoff
#140 - Devon Levi
#171 - Benjamin Baumgartner
Rationale for each pick.

-Kelley says the Hawks have been watching Amirov for years.
-Colangelo has supposedly been interviewed by the Hawks numerous times.
-Eamon Powell is like Ian Mitchell-lite so I think they'll like his play style.
-Hawks like their Swedish players and Emil Heineman plays a good physical game, and is closer to making the NHL than most in the draft.
-Hawks seem to have increased their WHL scouting (Dach, Moberg, Hagel, Johnson) and Christoffer Sedoff could be Hjalmarsson 2.0.
-Hawks grab goalies in the late rounds. Levi is a CJHL player (Hawks have no problem drafting from those leagues) and is going to Northeastern where they have a good relationship with through Sikura.
-Baumgartner is a wild card. Hawks always draft overagers, and they know the Swiss League well from scouting Kubalik and Suter.

Reactions: Mrfenn92
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad