Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
It is the best Euro crop in years.

North American analysts have been underselling the depth a bit because they did not know who guys like Peterka, Reichel, Nybeck, Hirvonen, Mysak, Chromiak, Knazko, Grans, Wallinder, Andrae, Niederbach, Johannesson etc were until a few months ago (and underrated a lot of the ones they did know...) ... and still probably dont know a few.

The North American side of the draft is a bit top heavy and mediocre after that. The Euro side means there will be some really interesting players in the late 1st and early 2nd.
I know the guys from the WJC and Nybeck because I support smurfs. It’s more so the guys that weren’t there I don’t recognize. Even the top ones. I don’t know anything about Perfetti, Rossi, Lundell etc.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I know the guys from the WJC and Nybeck because I support smurfs. It’s more so the guys that weren’t there I don’t recognize. Even the top ones. I don’t know anything about Perfetti, Rossi, Lundell etc.

Lundell and Rossi could both easily become 70+ point, two-way Cs.

Stutzle has the potential to be one of the best playmakers in the league.

Raymond, Holtz and Gunler have 1st line winger upside... easily.

I think all 6+Mysak are top 10 talents with legit 1st line upside, and pretty good floors.

Then you have Askarov as well who is one of the most talented goalies to pop up in a few years. And Amirov who is a ~mid-late 1st round type talent...

Reactions: BigToe

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Lukas Cormier has recorded a point on a higher percentage of his team's goals than Jeremie Poirier this season:

Cormier Involvement%: 26.47
Poirier Involvement%: 23.51

Thought I'd share this interesting tidbit!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Lukas Cormier has recorded a point on a higher percentage of his team's goals than Jeremie Poirier this season:

Cormier Involvement%: 26.47
Poirier Involvement%: 23.51

Thought I'd share this interesting tidbit!
Loved him at the Hlinka. Too small doe.

Reactions: TB87

TB87

May 30, 2018
Loved him at the Hlinka. Too small doe.

Just watching him skate is fun. Haven't seen as many of the other QMJHL 1st year eligible defenseman as I have seen Cormier. His off-puck play is (at least right now) significantly more refined than Poirier.

Poirier is one of those toolsy players where the question becomes: Is his defensive play bad enough to not be able to be fixed with proper post-draft development or are his def. flaws fixable?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Rossi? Must think he’s Australian.

Valentino Rossi, one of the greatest MotoGP riders of all time. But I prefer his selection of girlfriends:

rossi's girlfriend.jpg

rossi's.jpg

Reactions: FLYguy3911

TB87

May 30, 2018
Top 31 prospects eligible for 2020 NHL Draft

*Interesting read for dem taeks*

- I've heard good things about Sanderson. However, nothing I have heard/read suggests he's a true top 10 talent in this draft. Scouts & GM's do tend to jump at the opportunity to draft defenseman early (even if they arent BPA) though.
- Quinn at 12 seems high
- Zary at 25 seems pretty low considering how talented he is
- Brisson in the 1st RD is interesting. That boy is fast and creative

Reactions: Chinatown88

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
It seems like a lot more players this draft that are rated in the 1st round are older. 2001 birth year, or early 2002.

With no U-18's, etc. this year, NHL teams with big scouting budgets will have a sizeable advantage. They should have an easier time unearthing the late bloomers or younger draft eligibles that take off late in the season.

I assume many of the mainstream draft rankers and small budget teams will be woefully behind the curve this year. This should be a good opportunity for teams like the Flyers or NYR. Picking up some extra picks might be a wise move.

Top 31 prospects eligible for 2020 NHL Draft

*Interesting read for dem taeks*

- I've heard good things about Sanderson. However, nothing I have heard/read suggests he's a true top 10 talent in this draft. Scouts & GM's do tend to jump at the opportunity to draft defenseman early (even if they arent BPA) though.
- Quinn at 12 seems high
- Zary at 25 seems pretty low considering how talented he is
- Brisson in the 1st RD is interesting. That boy is fast and creative

My exposure to Zary is limited to last year at the U-18 tournament and the latest CHL Top Prospects game, but I would agree. He seems impressive.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

I mean, Flyers dont have to worry about getting any of these guys...

but such a good draft. Especially up-front.

Guys like Reichel, Peterka, Chromiak, Perreault, Hirvonen, Jarvis, Amirov, Nybeck etc are going to be sat around possibly in the late 1st, some even mid 2nd... when usually would be top ~20 picks.

I'm not the biggest fan myself, but no Perfetti?

There are going to be a lot of productive players on the board in the late 1st-early 2nd range.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

There are going to be a lot of productive players on the board in the late 1st-early 2nd range.

I have him at #11! Was debating him vs Mysak for a while.

But cannot put him above any of those top 9 right now. (which tells you how good a draft it is... he would usually be a sure-fire top ~5-6 pick. Same with guys like Holtz, Gunler, Drysdale.

Reactions: Chinatown88

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

I'd have a tough time taking the wingers (Holtz, Gunler, Mysak) ahead of him. I'm not sure Perfetti is a center at the next level either, but I think he's more well rounded and his production is too much to ignore. He's a bit older and not nearly the physical package of Byfield, but he paced him this year and if you look historically this century, every u18 hovering around the 2 PPG mark in the OHL, let's just say it's good company to keep.

I was going through some old games the other day and it's a shame what happened with Hendrix Lapierre. He was right with Perfetti and even better is some areas. If you have any confidence his concussions aren't career threatening (I'm not sure you can) he could be a "steal" in the late first.

I would have the same top 5 but with Raymond ahead of Lundell and I feel pretty confident in that group.

Lafreniere
Byfield
Rossi
Stutzle
Raymond

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
This one seems particularly tricky to rank out. Maybe I'm just watching more and consensus-ing less so that's the problem.

I truly believe Stutzle is a better prospect in his draft year than Draisaitl was... and look at how that turned out. I also can't overlook a goalie with the talent and pedigree of Askarov at his age. Maybe I'll get burned on the latter, but goaltending is the most important position in hockey and I really believe when a goalie is this talented, it's development that turns him into a bust.

1. Alexis Lafreniere
2. Tim Stutzle
3. Quinton Byfield
4. Marco Rossi
5. Yaroslav Askarov
6. Lucas Raymond
7. Jamie Drysdale
8. Anton Lundell
9. Dylan Holloway
10. Jan Mysak

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Prospect shifts shut down. Not sure how recently that happened, but that kinda sucks.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
top-10 so far from me

1. Lafreniere
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Rossi
5. Raymond
6. Lundell
7. Jarvis
8. Drysdale
9. Quinn
10. Holtz

Not a high on Zary. Don`t see top-6 skills, 47% points from PP, his linemates are overagers. Have a chance to become a good 3rd liner, but this draft is so deep of potentially top-6s, so I don`t rather spend a top-25 pick for a potentially bottom-6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad