Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - Part IV (Devils have pick #7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Has the league ruled officially on the Vancouver pick yet? They’re really harping on this play-in series being a playoff round.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Has the league ruled officially on the Vancouver pick yet? They’re really harping on this play-in series being a playoff round.

For statistics it is. Not for anything else. If Vancouver loses, they keep their pick. There was never really anything to arbitrate there

Reactions: MakoSlade

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Talvitie's problems were not related to performance. His character is constantly raved about, and I think we can all expect a big year from him in 2020-21.

Having watched Talvite a fair amount since he was drafted (probably about 20-25 times between juniors and Penn St.) I think he reminds me of a Vatanen type player but as a forward. He's not big he's not fast he's not flashy. But he's tough and fearless and competitive and smart and has more skill than he is given credit for. I do think his performance was a bit off last season compared to his freshman year, at least in the sense that he didn't look like he took any sort of step forward to me, but it's understandable and I expect him to be back to his normal self whenever next season might start for him. Presumably all this time off has allowed him to rehab his knee fully and recharge his mental and emotional batteries.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Having watched Talvite a fair amount since he was drafted (probably about 20-25 times between juniors and Penn St.) I think he reminds me of a Vatanen type player but as a forward. He's not big he's not fast he's not flashy. But he's tough and fearless and competitive and smart and has more skill than he is given credit for. I do think his performance was a bit off last season compared to his freshman year, at least in the sense that he didn't look like he took any sort of step forward to me, but it's understandable and I expect him to be back to his normal self whenever next season might start for him. Presumably all this time off has allowed him to rehab his knee fully and recharge his mental and emotional batteries.
I was kind of viewing him as an eventual Coleman replacement. From what you've seen, can you picture that?

My3Sons

Sponsor
I was kind of viewing him as an eventual Coleman replacement. From what you've seen, can you picture that?

I could see an effective third liner but a somewhat different style. Coleman was a bit of a buzzsaw, a faster skater, and something of a volume shooter to my eyes. Talvite is more subtle. He is a good complementary player with more highly skilled players. He's always in the right place and makes the smart play. He can shoot but is more dependent on set ups to my viewing experience than Coleman. Talvite however has better passing touch and vision than I think Coleman has. Now the comparison is flawed because I'm comparing a developed Coleman to a work in progress Talvite. Both are tough and stronger than their size would suggest. I don't doubt Talvite will be an accomplished defensive winger if his knee holds up and he can maintain his pace of play.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Devils Daily did a mock with other podcasters for the respective teams ahead of us in the draft. Only did the first 6 picks (after #1, Laf, obivously) but:

1. Kings - Byfield
2. Sens - Raymond
3. Detroit - Stutzle
4. Sens - Rossi
5. Ducks - Drysdale

They had us take Holtz at #7 over Sanderson.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Devils Daily did a mock with other podcasters for the respective teams ahead of us in the draft. Only did the first 6 picks (after #1, Laf, obivously) but:

1. Kings - Byfield
2. Sens - Raymond
3. Detroit - Stutzle
4. Sens - Rossi
5. Ducks - Drysdale

Im skeptical Raymond goes before Stutzle but it’s always interesting to hear a considered thoughtful opinion on the draft eligible players.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Who we liking at 16-18?

I'm all in on Seth Jarvis. Right now #11 on my board, so I'd be willing to take him with the Yotes pick even if they lost that series. Bob has him #18, so I'm going to assume that there's an outside chance that he's there still. Lapierre would be my homerun swing. Bob's scouts had him at 15, I think, so I'm guessing there may be a shot. When you're picking at that range, I have no problems whatsoever swinging for the fences on a guy with top line talent. I like Amirov as well, but nowhere near as much as those first two. If we secure one of those first two with an Arizona pick that unfortunately fell to that spot, I'd actually leave fairly happy. I don't view Quinn, for example, as a huge upgrade on Jarvis, who I think is one of the best line drivers in this class.

Last edited:

Shakir ONeal

Jimmy Hughes
Sep 21, 2017
I'm all in on Seth Jarvis. Right now #11 on my board, so I'd be willing to take him with the Yotes pick even if they lost that series. Bob has him #18, so I'm going to assume that there's an outside chance that he's there still. Lapierre would be my homerun swing. Bob's scouts had him at 15, I think, so I'm guessing there may be a shot. He's my home run swing. When you're picking at that range, I have no problems whatsoever swinging for the fences on a guy with top line talent. I like Amirov as well, but nowhere near as much as those first two. If we secure one of those first two with an Arizona pick that unfortunately fell to that spot, I'd actually leave fairly happy. I don't view Quinn, for example, as a huge upgrade on Jarvis, who I think is one of the best line drivers in this class.

agreed I like Jarvis a lot..I feel 14-24 is the third tier with most players pretty even and would be happy with mostly anyone but definitely Jarvis, Schneider, Guhle, Amirov or Perrault

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
I'm all in on Seth Jarvis. Right now #11 on my board, so I'd be willing to take him with the Yotes pick even if they lost that series. Bob has him #18, so I'm going to assume that there's an outside chance that he's there still. Lapierre would be my homerun swing. Bob's scouts had him at 15, I think, so I'm guessing there may be a shot. When you're picking at that range, I have no problems whatsoever swinging for the fences on a guy with top line talent. I like Amirov as well, but nowhere near as much as those first two. If we secure one of those first two with an Arizona pick that unfortunately fell to that spot, I'd actually leave fairly happy. I don't view Quinn, for example, as a huge upgrade on Jarvis, who I think is one of the best line drivers in this class.

I’ll do cartwheels if we walk away with Jarvis at 16-18

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Whatever happens happens but if Arizona wins their play in series, I will 100% be rooting for them to win the first round and then lose in the second round and then resign Taylor hall. I am kind of leaning towards Arizona resigning him. I think they really really want to and I also think covid messed up a lot of things so maybe the chances he resigns in Arizona is more likely.... which would give us Arizona’s next years unprotected first. I am also rooting for Minnesota over Vancouver.

We could potentially walk away with 2 firsts this year and 3 unprotected firsts next year if that was to happen

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Whatever happens happens but if Arizona wins their play in series, I will 100% be rooting for them to win the first round and then lose in the second round and then resign Taylor hall. I am kind of leaning towards Arizona resigning him. I think they really really want to and I also think covid messed up a lot of things so maybe the chances he resigns in Arizona is more likely.... which would give us Arizona’s next years unprotected first. I am also rooting for Minnesota over Vancouver.

We could potentially walk away with 2 firsts this year and 3 unprotected firsts next year if that was to happen
And their second round series goes to game 7 leaving a sour taste in his mouth—which further motivates him to extend in Arizona.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
I'm all in on Seth Jarvis. Right now #11 on my board, so I'd be willing to take him with the Yotes pick even if they lost that series.

Same here! I have him exactly at #11. He's been compared to Brendan Gallagher (mostly because of his size), but to me he looks like a tiny Auston Matthews. Scores bunch of (dirty) goals right in front of the net. So I have to admit I'm a little concerned how that game with translate to NHL level. However he's an excellent skater and simply just too talented not to figure it out.

I was already pretty high on him 6 months ago, but nobody else was really on board back then so I'm glad to see people warming up to Jarvis.
Am I the only one who is super high on Seth Jarvis? MilwaukeeDevil has him at #42 and bunch of scouts have him 20 to 30, I think he could easily go somwhere between 15-20. Has a pretty remarkable season going on at Winterhawks leading the team in scoring by over 20 points. Scores bunch of goals close range and in breakaways.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth

1. Kings - Byfield
2. Sens - Raymond
3. Detroit - Stutzle
4. Sens - Rossi
5. Ducks - Drysdale

How is Perfetti not even a consideration there. I don't hate the Holtz pick and I think Sanderson would be a better choice than him but imo Perfetti is a better prospect than both of them

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Also for the discussion on Rossi, this was recently posted on the prospect board by someone who apparently knows Rossi personally
I’m going to prefix this by saying I know Marco personally.

Holy crap this kid wants to be the best. He is the best player on his team yet he works the hardest by a mile; first guy on and off the ice, i know that is said a lot about players but man is it true with Marco. He doesn’t go out on the town, doesn’t party like other teammates; if he’s not playing, he’s training. He lives and breathes the game of hockey, real fan of the game. He’s going to be one of the best at the next level because he wants to be the best, and believes in himself like no other.

If he isn’t an impact forward at the next level, I will be SHOCKED, Rossi has what it takes to be a star in the league and will be.
I've been a little lukewarm on Rossi (I have him at 9th), but this is the kind of stuff that helps ease my concerns about players like him. Obviously this could be fabricated or exaggerated, but it seems genuine from the guy that posted. There are certain characteristics that you need in a player if they are going to be not good or great, but a superstar in the league. The trait and mentality that Rossi is exemplifying above should be #1. Honestly, might bump him a spot or two on my personal rankings just because of this little blip, even if I didn't love everything about his game during the season. You know that players like Rossi will work hard enough to figure out ways to make you love everything about their game.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Also for the discussion on Rossi, this was recently posted on the prospect board by someone who apparently knows Rossi personally

I've been a little lukewarm on Rossi (I have him at 9th), but this is the kind of stuff that helps ease my concerns about players like him. Obviously this could be fabricated or exaggerated, but it seems genuine from the guy that posted. There are certain characteristics that you need in a player if they are going to be not good or great, but a superstar in the league. The trait and mentality that Rossi is exemplifying above should be #1. Honestly, might bump him a spot or two on my personal rankings just because of this little blip, even if I didn't love everything about his game during the season. You know that players like Rossi will work hard enough to figure out ways to make you love everything about their game.

Thanks for sharing that. That statement is consistent with what we know about Rossi in terms of reputation so it isn’t surprising. With a guy who puts in the effort and has a strong belief in himself at least you know that you will always get the most that player has to offer and you know you will get defensive and probably even penalty killer level play if scoring takes a bit longer to materialize. He sounds like an excellent choice anywhere after the first three.

Reactions: glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad