Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
I think you gotta take Rossi/Raymond/Perfetti/Holtz at 7 and hope Arizona leaves us with the 9-11 pick and try and get Sanderson with that. Don't even care about the rest of the draft if that could be the first round haul.
I really want Quinn there badly. I also like Mysiak at 17 if we even get that pick.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Just ducking in to say I'm really happy we didn't drop back any further than 7th. I'm quite happy with one of the Drysdale/Rossi/Holtz/Raymond foursome, and I really like Cole Perfetti too.

I was hoping for Rossi and I don't think he'll last until 7th, so that's a bit of a disappointment, but you never know, Detroit kind of does their own thing, and Ottawa has two picks, so it's not impossible.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I just cannot get behind drafting a 5’9” center. Hell he could be a winger...

Also whats with Raymond and Holtz? Their stats just confuse me as I dont understand European leagues. Its scary seeing 33games 10 points lol

Quinn is only ranked tenth but hes the best goal scorer

Idk what to think. Im honestly a bit down on everyone after Drysdale and Perfetti...

Feels weaker than Jack’s draft. Maybe Sanderson is the way to go after all lol

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We also aren't married to 7th. If they really like someone and we end up with Vancouver's pick, we could try to trade up.

We could also trade back, settle for someone like Quinn and get an extra 2nd or 3rd to work with.

Or we could trade it wholesale for immediate help, which isnt that crazy an idea assuming we get Arizona's pick this year.

We have some flexibility

Reactions: Swiss Prodigy

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
We also aren't married to 7th. If they really like someone and we end up with Vancouver's pick, we could try to trade up.

We could also trade back, settle for someone like Quinn and get an extra 2nd or 3rd to work with.

Or we could trade it wholesale for immediate help, which isnt that crazy an idea assuming we get Arizona's pick this year.

We have some flexibility
Wouldnt we want to use our pick and trade Arizona’s in that case?

It seems to be a top-11 draft and im sure wed rather have the pick of our last three options vs whats left for us

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Call me crazy but whos Ottawa’s future goalie? Could they maybe take Askarov at 5 or trade down for him?

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

Also whats with Raymond and Holtz? Their stats just confuse me as I dont understand European leagues. Its scary seeing 33games 10 points lol

Idk what to think. Im honestly a bit down on everyone after Drysdale and Perfetti...

Feels weaker than Jack’s draft. Maybe Sanderson is the way to go after all lol
Raymond and Holtz were playing in the top men's league in Sweden. Raymond in particular didn't get much minutes.

In Sweden's top junior league (U20) in their draft -1 years(so 16-17 year old seasons) Holtz had 30 goals and 47 points in 38 games while Raymond had 48 in 37 games. In the WJC-18 tournament in their draft -1 years Holtz had 7 points in 7 games while Raymond had 8 in 7 games (with a hat trick in the gold medal game vs Russia). They stack up extremely well when playing against guys their age -- most prospects in this draft wouldn't have gaudy numbers in the SHL in their draft years.

Ross is 5'9 but he's 180+ pounds. On top of his offensive production (best in the entire CHL), he was voted 2nd best defensive forward, 3rd best penalty killer, and 2nd best on faceoffs by OHL coaches (2019-20 OHL Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League).

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Call me crazy but whos Ottawa’s future goalie? Could they maybe take Askarov at 5 or trade down for him?
Ya, I think that may be their greatest need right now is a future goalie. Their system seems filled with talent at all other positions.

BTW, if Arizona loses their play-in, there's a decent chance that the pick will be a spot or two higher. Either Montreal or Chicago (or both) could win their play-in round, or they could win the lottery. I'm really hoping we get the pick and it moves up to 9 or 10.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

this list is for 2005 until present.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't think we'll be in the market for Askarov. I suppose one of my pet peeves when I see a list like this is that there's this implication that the team who took a goalie bypassed this treasure trove of talent.

Here was a sampling of the next five F/D taken after them. I think the tendency is to cherry pick the one name who panned out and ignore the other replacement level guys.

2006:
Bernier [Bryan Little, Jiri Tlusty, Michael Grabner, Ty Wishart, Trevor Lewis]
Helenius [Wishart, Lewis, Chris Stewart, Mark Mitera, David Fischer]
Varlamov [Dennis Persson, Patrik Berglund, Ivan Vishnevsky, Nick Foligno, Chris Summers]
Irving [Vishnevsky, Foligno, Summers, Matt Corrente, Tomas Kana]

2008:
Pickard [Luca Sbisa, Michael Del Zotto, Anton Gustafsson, Jordan Eberle, Tyler Cuma]
McCollum [Slava Voynov, Phil McRae, Nicolas Deschamps, Corey Trivino, Cody Goloubef]

2010:
Campbell [Cam Fowler, Brandon Gormley, Jaden Schwartz, Derek Forbort, Vladimir Tarasenko]
Visentin [Charlie Coyle, Emerson Etem, Brock Nelson, Tyler Pitlick, Jared Knight]
(Visentin was a reach, even he was shocked he went in the top 30)

2012:
Vasilevskiy [Scott Laughton, Mark Jankowski, Olli Maatta, Mike Matheson, Jordan Schmaltz]
Subban [Schmaltz, Brendan Gaunce, Henrik Samuelsson, Brady Skjei, Stefan Matteau]

Samsonov is just getting his feet wet and we'll see about Oettinger/Knight. The other weird thing for me is that most of these goalies didn't get top 10 consideration but people lump them in as "first rounders" to imply greater value than the pick tends to have.

I was a little annoyed by whichever media person tweeted out something like "No current first round goalie has won a Cup for the team that has drafted them" as though it were proof that you don't draft a goalie in the first round. First, there aren't that many active first round goalies to start with. Secondly, does Rask being traded a year after being drafted invalidate his selection? Rask was a bounce or two away from possibly getting the Conn Smythe last year.

For my own amusement, I wondered how many active defensemen who were taken in the 15-30 range had won a Cup with the team who originally drafted them. I think the only one I came across was John Carlson. But it would be stupid for me to claim that was proof that you don't draft a defenseman with a late first round pick.

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
Ya, I think that may be their greatest need right now is a future goalie. Their system seems filled with talent at all other positions.

BTW, if Arizona loses their play-in, there's a decent chance that the pick will be a spot or two higher. Either Montreal or Chicago (or both) could win their play-in round, or they could win the lottery. I'm really hoping we get the pick and it moves up to 9 or 10.
Isnt Arizona’s pick already 10 naturally? Before anyone wins or loses

Raymond and Holtz were playing in the top men's league in Sweden. Raymond in particular didn't get much minutes.

In Sweden's top junior league (U20) in their draft -1 years(so 16-17 year old seasons) Holtz had 30 goals and 47 points in 38 games while Raymond had 48 in 37 games. In the WJC-18 tournament in their draft -1 years Holtz had 7 points in 7 games while Raymond had 8 in 7 games (with a hat trick in the gold medal game vs Russia). They stack up extremely well when playing against guys their age -- most prospects in this draft wouldn't have gaudy numbers in the SHL in their draft years.

Ross is 5'9 but he's 180+ pounds. On top of his offensive production (best in the entire CHL), he was voted 2nd best defensive forward, 3rd best penalty killer, and 2nd best on faceoffs by OHL coaches (2019-20 OHL Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League).
If Rossi is that good then I cant imagine he makes it to seven anyway, but 180 at that size is impressive. I cant deny him being 5’9” will scare me until he proves himself in the NHL, just being honest

Raymond and Holtz seem like theyre the options we will be choosing from.

Lafreniere, Byfield/Stutzle, Drysdale/Rossi, then one of Perfetti, Raymond, Holtz probably goes.

Out of Perfetti, Raymond, and Holtz, mcKenzie has them in that order I listed. Sanderson available as well.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

If I draft a guy to be a center, and the worst thing that happens is that he becomes a winger, I'm pretty happy with that selection, to be honest.

Yes, you can't really judge them by their stats. If you were compare leagues, the SHL is a better league than the AHL (The SHL is probably considered the second best league to the KHL, I think?), and they are playing in it at 17-18 years old. They aren't getting a ton of minutes because they are playing with adults (most of whom were good enough at one point to get drafted by and probably play in, the NHL), so that's not helping them rack up stats, but the fact that they can even hang in the SHL is really impressive (and while the Liiga probably isn't as strong as the SHL, the fact that Lundell was able to play relatively well there in his d-1 year is pretty incredible). Raymond in particular has a middle birthday for this draft as he's a March 2002 baby. He's a good 6 months younger than guys like Quinn, Laf, Schneider, Rossi...who all missed the cut off by days / weeks to be in the previous draft.

I am big on Raymond, though I will admit that it's been a roller coaster ride because he scares me a bit. I was big on him, then cooled because I just got spooked, and now I'm back on the bandwagon. He's really easy to love as a player. Just so tenacious with such a good IQ and skillset.

I don't think that's the case, tbh.

Last edited:

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
It's technically 11 until we see which play-in loser gets the #1 pick.
Right right because we got pushed back one

Now I hate that pick. 10 is much better looking than 11. 11 may as well be a 5th rounder. REFUND!

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I don’t understand the rush to hold the lottery now ? Why not just wait till the play in round is over ?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
3% was a good win for whomever won

its easy to be angry but then again……its not like we havent been there and won coin toss before….

….ill wait to piss on the situation or not piss on it until after the next draw and play in set up

Pitaya

Dec 14, 2019
3% was a good win for whomever won

its easy to be angry but then again……its not like we havent been there and won coin toss before….

….ill wait to piss on the situation or not piss on it until after the next draw and play in set up
Hopefully Lafreniere goes out West. The East, especially the Metro, could use a break from the constant flow of top-3 picks for the moment. Stützle/Byfield in Ottawa is enough

mort4345

Jun 22, 2017
What amazes me the most is that although the lottery outcome could have been much better for the Devils, if I'm a Detroit fan or an Ottawa fan, I'm absolutely furious right now.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

Their fans have been pretty adamant that they like their goalies in the system, though honestly i don't know anything about them.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I found Fitz's comments about drafting the guy with the highest ceiling pretty funny
Rossi and Perfetti could be PPG guys
Holtz and Quinn have 40 goal upside
Drysdale and Sanderson have 1D potential
Raymond seems all around incredible to me
I guess it means we definitely won't be taking Lundell with our pick or Arizona's :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad