2020 NHL Draft Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Askarov with another big win. Stopped 29 of 30 shots, including this save

I know people would hate it, and I don't believe for a second that he'd make it there...but you have to take him at 16 if he miraculously falls.

We absolutely should not take him at 16.
Only one goaltender can play at a time and we are set with Price and Primeau. It would be ludicrous to select him while we have Price on a long term contract so that he can sit on the bench for the majority of the games. There is very little value in drafting goaltenders high unless they can compete for the starter job on their entry level contract.

We need to bring in talent that has a chance to be productive for 82 games while under affordable entry level contracts. Goaltenders are the easiest players to acquire and bring back the least return in trade value.

It is likely moot anyways as I doubt that he makes it past Toronto.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Hey guys, I know we really have a tough time putting the puck in the other team's net, but like, here's a kid who can do the splits?

Reactions: habsfan891

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
We absolutely should not take him at 16.
Only one goaltender can play at a time and we are set with Price and Primeau. It would be ludicrous to select him while we have Price on a long term contract so that he can sit on the bench for the majority of the games. There is very little value in drafting goaltenders high unless they can compete for the starter job on their entry level contract.

We need to bring in talent that has a chance to be productive for 82 games while under affordable entry level contracts. Goaltenders are the easiest players to acquire and bring back the least return in trade value.

It is likely moot anyways as I doubt that he makes it past Toronto.

He's a franchise level talent. I don't think you can pass that up at 16. If the Habs had the 9th pick, I would probably go a different direction - but he's a Top 3 talent in the draft. At 16 you're hoping to maybe find a 2nd line player if you're lucky. He's a potential perennial Vezina contender.

And if our amateur scouts were worth a damn, they could find talent with their three 2nd round picks. But I'm not holding my breath.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Askarov with another big win. Stopped 29 of 30 shots, including this save

I know people would hate it, and I don't believe for a second that he'd make it there...but you have to take him at 16 if he miraculously falls.

No way this kid falls.. he's gonna be in the NHL early like Price was and turn a team around on an ELC.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He's a franchise level talent. I don't think you can pass that up at 16. If the Habs had the 9th pick, I would probably go a different direction - but he's a Top 3 talent in the draft. At 16 you're hoping to maybe find a 2nd line player if you're lucky. He's a potential perennial Vezina contender.

And if our amateur scouts were worth a damn, they could find talent with their three 2nd round picks. But I'm not holding my breath.

That's the things this team can't find talent in the draft that's game breaking, so if the habs for a chance and select Askarov, they're just setting him up to have a career like Price.

Price isn't worth much in a trade if we get anything if value. Primeau has potential, but no real accolades to raise his value to get something good in return.

Habs are better off trading the pick for a proven player.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
That's the things this team can't find talent in the draft that's game breaking, so if the habs for a chance and select Askarov, they're just setting him up to have a career like Price.

Price isn't worth much in a trade if we get anything if value. Primeau has potential, but no real accolades to raise his value to get something good in return.

Actually, they're better off selecting because of their up coming cap situation.. players on ELC that will contribute in 2-3 seasons are more valuable at this point. Unless Domi or Danault are moved for a Buf, Min, WPG pick.. other than that, it will have to be one of them that get us a top 6 talent.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Actually, they're better off selecting because of their up coming cap situation.. players on ELC that will contribute in 2-3 seasons are more valuable at this point. Unless Domi or Danault are moved for a Buf, Min, WPG pick.. other than that, it will have to be one of them that get us a top 6 talent.

It was more along the lines they should trade because they have a hard time drafting seemingly anywhere. If they trade it, at least the asset we acquire is NHL worthy... hopefully.

If Jarvis is there, or Holloway I'd hope they keep it. Teams might be more enticed for their 2021 pick if they're going to make a big trade.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I wouldn't even be suprised if Ottawa picks him with their 5th.

I agree. He's the type of goalie that you can be set for the next 15 years. Sogaard and (to a lesser extent) Mandolese are decent prospects, but they're far from a sure thing.

Reactions: Acadien86

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Andrae
Bourque
Lapierre
Reichel

Guys that I'm keeping an eye on, who have impressed me at least once this pre-season:

Chinakhov
Rashevsky
Puutio
Järventie

Would you add Askarov to that list?

I have a feeling that these kids that have already started playing, and have impressed are giving scouts second thoughts. I mean, you want to go with your gut and you have to think that most of the highly ranked prospects that haven't started yet will have improved as well, but man, it has to get them thinking.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
No, because goalies aren't people.

tenor.gif

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

In The Athletic's mock 1st Round, each team's writer for the website made the selection. So Arpon Basu made the Habs' choice at 16. He ended up going with Hendrix Lapierre.

Dylan Holloway, Mavrik Bourque, and Seth Jarvis were already taken. Dawson Mercer was still available, but he went with Lapierre. The Blackhawks took Mercer at 17.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia

In The Athletic's mock 1st Round, each team's writer for the website made the selection. So Arpon Basu made the Habs' choice at 16. He ended up going with Hendrix Lapierre.

Dylan Holloway, Mavrik Bourque, and Seth Jarvis were already taken. Dawson Mercer was still available, but he went with Lapierre. The Blackhawks took Mercer at 17.

Gross Mercer is way better and there must've been a good defensman left even though we dont need one it still would have been a better choice.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Arpon doesn't follow prospects whatsoever, so his pick is quite meaningless.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

Was gonna blast them for the typical 'Habs pick the QC player' thought process but saw it was Arpon - thought he was smarter than that as he is not the player we need. Down the road it could look like a steal but I'd rather go for several other choices before him.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

the problem imo is the return they would get on Primeau down the road. If they take him then so be it but with almost no forward prospects and having 2 of your top 5 prospects as goalies would be a waste of an asset imo.

the scouts seem to be doing better with Romanov, Norlinder, etc...

Price only goes when he wants to and Primeau has won the best goalie in the NCAA award at 19, at 18 was a finalist for the award, AHL all rookie team (the only Hab prospects to do that were Hudon, Subban, Halak and Hainsey) plus the Silver in the WJC's with a 1.61 gaa and a .9365 save %

I would think he's seen as one of the top goalie prospects among drafted but the problem is that you have to trade him at some point assuming Askarov ends up better but the return likely won't be worth that much.

is any of this behind a pay wall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad