Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
I think its much better to give up 15 this year. Best case next year our pick is 23rd or something, not a big difference from 15 but worse case we sit in the lottery.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks scouting staff will earn their money in this draft. Based on current seeding, their first pick will be #80 overall, past the middle of the third round.

Canucks have mined some gems from rounds 3-7 in the past, but by that point in the draft you're taking a serious flyer on 'potential' and little else. But the Canucks did nab goaltender Arturs Silovs in the sixth round last year and somewhat surprisingly, he was the first kid from the 2019 draft class to sign an ELC with the Canucks. And Aiden McDonough is showing decent promise as a second-rounder.

And in past drafts, Adam Gaudette and Tyler Madden turned in high-value picks in the fifth and third rounds respectively. And they did sign Will Lockwood from the 2016 draft.

So I guess there's always hope the Canucks can do it again.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
But the Canucks did nab goaltender Arturs Silovs in the sixth round last year and somewhat surprisingly, he was the first kid from the 2019 draft class to sign an ELC with the Canucks

And promptly put up a 3.87GAA and .891% in a major junior league.

Signing an ELC isn't always a sign of a good pick. We've signed guys who absolutely do not deserve an ELC before like Mackenzie Stewart.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Like whom? Only Gaudette is a regular NHL player right now. Even if you add Tryamkin this is probably just barely average among NHL teams.

I believe that per the last Potato baseline, the Canucks were deemed average with Gaudette in the fold, but not Tryamkin. If NT comes back and Demko establishes himself, the Canucks will definitely be above average. More so if they get something out of Juolevi.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So,

We got no 1st or 2nd pick.

What say you?
And to make things even more boring, if the NHL holds an early draft there won't be any draft-day trades either. And the GM's will be making their picks, either sitting around their kitchen table or in some isolated executive suite at various empty arenas.

I know the NHL is convinced that somehow they can replicate the apparent success of the recent NFL draft, and pump up fan interest. But I'm not convinced.

I'm not even sure I'll even bother watching in 'real time'. Better to just follow the 'draft-tracker' on one of the sports network websites.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
And to make things even more boring, if the NHL holds an early draft there won't be any draft-day trades either. And the GM's will be making their picks, either sitting around their kitchen table or in some isolated executive suite at various empty arenas.

I know the NHL is convinced that somehow they can replicate the apparent success of the recent NFL draft, and pump up fan interest. But I'm not convinced.

I'm not even sure I'll even bother watching in 'real time'. Better to just follow the 'draft-tracker' on one of the sports network websites.

Full disclosure I'm not a football fan and didn't actually watch the draft but...

Wasn't there some unintentionally funny moments that came from doing an online draft?

Belichick's dog making picks, a guy taking a dump in the background etc. I'm so sure that if someone is going to do something unintentionally funny during an online draft it'll be Jim Benning.

Nothing about him screams computer savvy.

Reactions: Nucker101

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Is 2020 the strongest draft in awhile....no doubt at the top-end it might be, but the drop-off in the first round seems pretty pronounced.

Not that it will matter much for the Canucks. Seems more obvious by the day, they won't be drafting in either the first or second round,.

I've been scouring the top-100 draft boards to see who might be available to them in the third round.....but have to confess, most of them are just 'names on a board'.

Any third round candidates out there that pique your interest?

Problem of course is that the third round is rife with guys you never thought would have dropped, and guys that you expected to be there but for whatever reason went in the second because a team fell in love....that said some guys I like include:

William Villanueve (expect him to be gone by our specific third, but never know)
William Dufour
Jack Finley
Brock Faber
Samuel Knazko (really hoping for him)
Maxim Berezkin (will he come over?)
Joni Jurmo (including him because Button has him available after our third, bit highly expect him to go earlier)
Jean Luc Foudy (again, probably gone earlier, but probably the highest pure skill level one could hope might be available where we sit)

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Problem of course is that the third round is rife with guys you never thought would have dropped, and guys that you expected to be there but for whatever reason went in the second because a team fell in love....that said some guys I like include:

William Villanueve (expect him to be gone by our specific third, but never know)
William Dufour
Jack Finley
Brock Faber
Samuel Knazko (really hoping for him)
Maxim Berezkin (will he come over?)
Joni Jurmo (including him because Button has him available after our third, bit highly expect him to go earlier)
Jean Luc Foudy (again, probably gone earlier, but probably the highest pure skill level one could hope might be available where we sit)
Agreed. Although this draft looks like a 'lost cause' on paper, if the Canucks can mine a nugget or two out of later rounds, then at least it won't be a 'black hole' in terms of their overall prospect pool.

And they'd still have to go some to match the 2016 draft -- Oli Juolevi and Will Lockwood--and neither is a sure bet to ever play in the NHL.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New Tim Stutzle hype reel - enjoy :)

If there's another player you'd like covered let me know

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Has there been any rumors on how they draft pick compensation will roll out?

as in picks contingent on who makes the playoffs and when.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel on Seth Jarvis :) very underrated player (with one of the best names in the draft)

Could be available if VAN does retain their pick this year.

Let me know which player you want covered next!

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
New hype reel for Anton Lundell :)

One of my fav's from this draft - and his most valuable plays often fly under the radar.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
2020 is looking like it might be a carbon-copy of the Canucks draft in 2016, when all they had to show for it was Juolevi and Lockwood.....and neither guy a sure thing to eventually make the NHL.

But maybe if the Canucks draft some d-men in rounds 3-7, they might find at least one who can actually play.

President of Hockey

Aug 13, 2016
If the draft happens not to be held in June but after the season is finished, I could see us recouping some picks by trading Demko (in case an agreement with Marky can be found until then). Maybe to Detroit for very early 2nd round pick + a little extra...

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If the draft happens not to be held in June but after the season is finished, I could see us recouping some picks by trading Demko (in case an agreement with Marky can be found until then). Maybe to Detroit for very early 2nd round pick + a little extra...

Would they trade Demko with Markstrom unsigned? Seems like a bad move.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad