Pre-Game Talk: 2020 NHL Draft (October 6th - 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
As much as I hate the idea of going into a draft not picking until the 3rd round, this is the year to give up the pick. If it's looking like it's going to be around 15.

How many recent examples have there been of teams pushing the pick to the next year and ending up losing an unprotected lottery pick? Ottawa and San Jose. You know that Vancouver would have that happen as well.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
As much as I hate the idea of going into a draft not picking until the 3rd round, this is the year to give up the pick. If it's looking like it's going to be around 15.

How many recent examples have there been of teams pushing the pick to the next year and ending up losing an unprotected lottery pick? Ottawa and San Jose. You know that Vancouver would have that happen as well.

I so want the Canucks to give up their 1st this year. It would suck to have it slide to next year, then have a screwed up season because of Covid and end up with a high draft pick.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Do we have to decide before the lottery or is there an option after? I mean I'd rather give the 15th this year then push to next but what if we win the lottery??

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Do we have to decide before the lottery or is there an option after? I mean I'd rather give the 15th this year then push to next but what if we win the lottery??
The league is pushing for an early June draft, and use teams’ winning % to determine draft order. That means Tampa gets our pick, which goes to Jersey. There is no choice, because our standing is outside of the lottery.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I think most are in agreement, best case scenario is we lose this years first. Miller trade is over and done with which is ideal.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I think you keep the pick and give it up next year. You have to think that the Canucks will be better next year than this year. The division will probably be weaker next year too.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I would much rather have the 1st round pick this year. Lose the 2nd this year, would be OK.

But with the pick being mid 1st round, there is a solid chance to pick is a dcent player, which keeps him close in terms of close to our core. I also think with years draft being a strong one, that the pick will be a little better than who we might get next year.........

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I think you keep the pick and give it up next year. You have to think that the Canucks will be better next year than this year. The division will probably be weaker next year too.
This is the opposite of how things are going to play out. The Canucks need to give up this pick because they’re going to be in the draft lottery next year. This version of the team peaks this year with Benning’s desperation to make the playoffs.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I’d give up the pick this year. The lack of info to go on will make picks outside the top 5/10 even more of a shit show. I’m also not convinced this is a playoff team next year and I’d hate to see NJ take Luke Hughes with our pick.

Reactions: jonnygf40

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Hope we see Benning push for compensation picks, like Frank Seravalli suggested a few weeks back. Would go a long way to alleviating the cost of the Toffoli trade.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Let's be real here:

If the Canucks defer the pick until next season, you know it will end up being a historically bad year for injuries and wacky almost comical bad luck leading to the team bottoming out and finally for the first time in team history winning the draft lottery and getting a 1st overall pick.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Let's be real here:

If the Canucks defer the pick until next season, you know it will end up being a historically bad year for injuries and wacky almost comical bad luck leading to the team bottoming out and finally for the first time in team history winning the draft lottery and getting a 1st overall pick.
if the pick is around 15 with no lottery chance, it would be stupid not to just give it now

either we are a better team and it's not that bad because we're a playoff team again for optics and have that asset with us

or we suck and then we keep it

but yeah, i totally agree with what you said about our luck if we don't give it up now. it's going to be such a worry the whole season unless we're like top 5 in the league.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
I’d give up the pick this year. The lack of info to go on will make picks outside the top 5/10 even more of a shit show. I’m also not convinced this is a playoff team next year and I’d hate to see NJ take Luke Hughes with our pick.

Totally agree. I heard Labrun saying that next years #1 pick would probably go 6th this year. I'd much rather take the 15th pick this year in a deep draft and let next year fall where it may.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Why am I not surprised that the NHL changes the lottery odds once Vancouver is no longer in the running.

So pretty much 5 teams only have a shot of picking 1st overall.
What a joke.
The lottery odds pretty much changed around Vancouver sucking to not benefit tanking teams, they dropped the most of any team in the league during that time frame collectively 7 spots.
Now the news odds go back to helping tanking teams.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
The 2020 draft is trash after pick 10/11 ish so definitely want to give up the pick this year.

2021 season can see the team regressing or a big injury to Pettersson/Hughes/Horvat that would sink the team. Too risky. Not to mention some great dman in Hughes and Lambos available.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I swear if we get rid of Brackett like we did Gilman, so help me god...
Once again the Canucks would be letting go the wrong staff member.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is 2020 the strongest draft in awhile....no doubt at the top-end it might be, but the drop-off in the first round seems pretty pronounced.

Not that it will matter much for the Canucks. Seems more obvious by the day, they won't be drafting in either the first or second round,.

I've been scouring the top-100 draft boards to see who might be available to them in the third round.....but have to confess, most of them are just 'names on a board'.

Any third round candidates out there that pique your interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad