NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XV [We got 3-5]

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Offer sheets. Laine FA.
I'd be down with that. Or offer Columbus L. Brown, Tierny and our last 1st for PLD. Dorion doesn't directly mention the offer sheet angle if they say no, but he implies it with his smile.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'd be down with that. Or offer Columbus L. Brown, Tierny and our last 1st for PLD. Dorion doesn't directly mention the offer sheet angle if they say no, but he implies it with his smile.
Columbus would laugh and hang up

Not getting PLD without the 3rd or 5th and adding

Jackets would thank Dorion for doing their leg work for an offer sheet

Reactions: Boud and bert

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Pronman’s latest mock draft still has LA taking Stutzle. Still saying same as last week, that majority of his sources think they go Stutzle. I have a hard time believing this since John Hoven, who gets his info directly from the Kings has stated they will go Byfield.

On 5th overall:

Ottawa at No. 5 has been tough to figure out. I’ve heard Raymond a lot, I’ve heard Askarov a lot, some sources even think Ottawa winger Jack Quinn is in the mix. The most information I’ve gotten has been linking them to Sanderson, but I can’t say I feel confident about it going into the draft.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
I just hope all the hype about this draft being so deep are legit.

Maybe I'm overthinking things...but that 5th overall is starting to worry me. I'm not entirely sure anymore who we get in that 4-10 group is a guaranteed win.

Don’t worry, with 5 we’re getting a Marner, Jones, McAvoy, Point, or Marchand! But seriously, don’t worry and have faith in our scouts. Drafting and development is about the only thing this current management does right.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Is there any chance we decide that there is a player we really want above all else, and end up trading the 5th + 2nd rd pick or the 28th pick to move up to 4th to take that player?

Or do we hope that Detroit has their eyes set on someone else and we still get our guy at #5?

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Is there any chance we decide that there is a player we really want above all else, and end up trading the 5th + 2nd rd pick or the 28th pick to move up to 4th to take that player?

Or do we hope that Detroit has their eyes set on someone else and we still get our guy at #5?

I guess there is always a chance but I personally doubt it

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Yeah, that Karlsson guy was a terrible pick. The guy wasn't anywhere close to a first rounder in the beginning of his draft year.
37 points in 38 games in 2008 with Frolunda, same organisation as Raymond. That's precisely the pedigree I'm taking about

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Werenski and Hanafin were clearly better players during their draft years. Besides, who cares what his coaches say. They’re obviously hyping him up.

Same thing with Lundell but you don’t see people hyping him up.

Maybe people should be hyping Lundell though? I think this draft is so stacked that were going to rank more than a handful of the top 10 guys above guys like Kakko, Hischier, Patrick, Koktaniemie, ect.

Besides that, it's hard to say that Werenski was clearly better than Sanderson. Due to their age Zach was in college during his draft year. He never really played a season with the US under 18 team like Sanderson did.

Werenski came up through the ranks with a group that featured Eichel, Matthews, Tkachuk, McAvoy, Hanafin and many others from that stacked 2015 draft class. He was surrounded by elite talent at all times. Sanderson's teammates by comparison are several tiers below in terms of quality, and he was basically carrying the team by himself.

Hanifin on the other hand did the opposite of what Sanderson did in his draft year, and started to slide down the rankings. He still had a lot more hype behind him than Sanderson though it's true. But it's also fair to say that some teams started to fall out of love with him by the time the draft happened, whereas Sanderson is rocketing up the ranks. Some scouts may like him better, comparatively speaking.

And if someone that close to all of these players and their development says that Sanderson is right there with them, I'm more or less inclined to believe them above anyone else. Hands down.

Last edited:
Reactions: EasyMoneySniper

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Maybe people should be hyping Lundell though? I think this draft is so stacked that were going to rank more than a handful of the top 10 guys above guys like Kakko, Hischier, Patrick, Koktaniemie, ect.

Besides that, it's hard to say that Werenski was clearly better than Sanderson. Due to their age Zach was in college during his, and never really played a season with the US under 18 team like Sanderson just did.

Werenski also came up through the ranks with a group that featured Eichel, Matthews, Tkachuk, and many others from that stacked 2015 draft class. He was surrounded by elite talent. Sanderson's teammates by comparison are several tiers below in terms of quality.

Hanifin on the other hand did the opposite of what Sanderson did in his draft year, and started to slide down the rankings. He still had a lot more hype behind though it's true.

But if someone that close to all of these players and their development says that Sanderson is right there with them, I'm more or less inclined to believe them above anyone else. Hands down.
Werenski fast tracked, he was in NCAA at 17

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Reactions: bert

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Werenski fast tracked, he was in NCAA at 17

Pretty sure that's exactly what I said. So was Hanifin if were getting technical. But maybe I'm missing your point..?

I guess my only point is that it makes their seasons harder to compare with Sanderson's, is all. And I would take all of their offensive numbers in the US development program with a bit of a grain of salt considering the disparity in talent now versus then.

And regardless of where they were to start their draft years, there is no denying that Sanderson has done enough to get himself into that conversation in the eyes of some people who have seen them all develop.

Personally I'm getting major Thomas Chabot vibes out of him - not at all in terms of style, but that hes a late riser and could emerge as a potential world class Dman and future first pairing stud.

Ask people in 2015 and most people would tell you that Chabots own teammate and fellow draftee Zboril was a better player. a
And he was ranked higher all year long.

But as the Sens scouts showed us, it's not just about where the player is at right at that moment. It's much more about where they're ultimately heading, and how fast they were going when the year finished.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I hope we make a play for Ehlers.
L.Brown \Brannstrom+ Abramov + 28 + 33

Winnipeg gets cap space and some prospects and a late first and early second.

Ottawa gets a young top line forward who is locked up for 5 more years at 6M which assists them with hitting the floor

Would be amazing leaving the draft with Stutzle Drysdale and Ehlers and new uniforms

Last edited:

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
our shiny new toys:)

Which is sort of going to suck as we will not see them play for potentially many months or longer.

It is the equivalent to waiting for Christmas so that you can get either a brand new Xbox or Playstation only to have your parents tell you that you cannot play with it until school is over in the summer. All you will be able to do is talk about how awesome your new gaming console is and how great it is going to be when you finally get to turn it on...

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
My problem with Quinn is that he caught lightning in a bottle last season and that's not usually repeated.

39 goals in 40 games (or whatever he managed to do) is incredible but could it be that he was playing a bit over his head?

Quinn at 10-15 is a great pick. Quinn at 5...I think it's just too risky for our organization that can not afford to miss.

Yourkeyparka

Oct 15, 2010
I hope we make a play for Ehlers.
L.Brown \Brannstrom+ Abramov + 28 + 33

Winnipeg gets cap space and some prospects and a late first and early second.

Ottawa gets a young top line forward who is locked up for 5 more years at 6M which assists them with hitting the floor

Would be amazing leaving the draft with Stutzle Drysdale and Ehlers and new uniforms

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...way too much....why on earth should we sacrifice our youth and potential picks for Ehlers??? 20 ish goals a season...60 points tops...we could get a better player for that amount of capital.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
You got to wonder how much age plays into this, Byfield already a beast at 6'4 215lbs and is 8 -10 months younger than Lafreniere and Stutzle.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
My problem with Quinn is that he caught lightning in a bottle last season and that's not usually repeated.

39 goals in 40 games (or whatever he managed to do) is incredible but could it be that he was playing a bit over his head?

Quinn at 10-15 is a great pick. Quinn at 5...I think it's just too risky for our organization that can not afford to miss.
He had 13 in 22 to start the season. His improvement is incredible and should improve much more with added strength.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad