NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
honestly thats being too big. just the way he moves around the ice looks awkward.

I disagree. Certainly in the past there have been issues with players being too big but I think there are also a number of assumptions associated with it that aren't necessarily true. There have been at least a few examples in the NHL with players like Zdeno Chara and Tyler Myers where they have been quite effective and have similar size. There are also plenty of examples in the NBA where there are some great athletes and that height is quite normal so that at least challenges any notion that that size impairs athleticism.

I agree with the fact that he is a bit awkward but that could also be a consequence of being so big at such a young age. There seems to be some raw skill and athleticism there and as he physically matures he should become more coordinated. I think it is also a good sign that he has two older sisters who are twins that are playing hockey in the NCAA. I don't know how big they are but it is a good sign of having athletic genes.

I see him as a very raw project pick. I am going to keep an eye on how he performs this season because I think he might be worth a late pick. We have 11 picks this draft and the possibility that we might get a few more. If Matthew Rempe has a decent season and looks like he is improving then I think it could be worthwhile to use a late pick on him. We have a good development program and with our current and future depth from this draft he will be given a long time to develop.

To me the key is just watching his progress this season. He is just now playing in the WHL. This is his first year of draft eligibility. As long as he continues to develop and continues to show positive signs I think he could be worth serious consideration for a late pick.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Every time I see Patrick Kane play I remember it is sometimes okay to take a winger 1st overall. I’d be fine with Laf.

Reactions: Acidrain66

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Jack Hughes
Jack Quinn
Quinn Hughes

Hughes Quinn? He must exist and we must find him because, you know, this is not confusing enough :skeptic:
Hilarious that you said that because the first thought that came to my mind was if he was one of the Hughes' younger brothers. And then I realized his last name wasnt even Hughes...

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Hilarious that you said that because the first thought that came to my mind was if he was one of the Hughes' younger brothers. And then I realized his last name wasnt even Hughes...

I have made that exact mistake too. Then I have also, for some reason, mistakenly thought to myself "another Jack Quinn, man that will be confusing when he makes it to the NHL"

only to realize....there is no Jack Quinn in the NHL...

0*9Wll0yjE36YG3vl0.jpg

Last edited:

StutzlingAway

Feb 28, 2017
Looks pretty healthy to me

Hey Dorion... WE CANNOT FALL OUT OF THE RACE FOR THIS GUY!

Bobby Ryan for 1st line C on with Brown and Ennis starts now.

This kid is just outright rediculous. It would pretty much be the first time we draft a sure superstar. Who does he remind you of? I see similarities to MacKinnons shooting. Also similar to Mcdavids play making but definitely not at the same elite speed . I just don't see his skating as elite as theirs and im not too sure about his defensive play. However I'm not a scout so who knows

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Jack Hughes
Jack Quinn
Quinn Hughes

Hughes Quinn? He must exist and we must find him because, you know, this is not confusing enough :skeptic:

Well besides the younger brother Luke Hughes, there is another kid on the NTDP U17 team called Jack Hughes. No relation.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I disagree. Certainly in the past there have been issues with players being too big but I think there are also a number of assumptions associated with it that aren't necessarily true. There have been at least a few examples in the NHL with players like Zdeno Chara and Tyler Myers where they have been quite effective and have similar size. There are also plenty of examples in the NBA where there are some great athletes and that height is quite normal so that at least challenges any notion that that size impairs athleticism.

I agree with the fact that he is a bit awkward but that could also be a consequence of being so big at such a young age. There seems to be some raw skill and athleticism there and as he physically matures he should become more coordinated. I think it is also a good sign that he has two older sisters who are twins that are playing hockey in the NCAA. I don't know how big they are but it is a good sign of having athletic genes.

I see him as a very raw project pick. I am going to keep an eye on how he performs this season because I think he might be worth a late pick. We have 11 picks this draft and the possibility that we might get a few more. If Matthew Rempe has a decent season and looks like he is improving then I think it could be worthwhile to use a late pick on him. We have a good development program and with our current and future depth from this draft he will be given a long time to develop.

To me the key is just watching his progress this season. He is just now playing in the WHL. This is his first year of draft eligibility. As long as he continues to develop and continues to show positive signs I think he could be worth serious consideration for a late pick.

What about changes now to hitting and head contact. A kid who is 6-8 is going to get a lot of penalties or even suspensions for head contact simply by the differences in size. League is cracking down more on that every year...and a rookie doesn't have the reputation Chara had when that transition began. Poor kid likely will be too scared to throw a decent hit at all.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
If we end up getting a few more late picks it might be worth taking a flyer on a giant like Matthew Rempe.
He is listed at 6'8 205 lbs and plays center. He is playing in the WHL and his stats are 2 GP 1 G 0 A 1 PT.
Matthew Rempe at eliteprospects.com
Looks like there is some raw skill there and some mobility/speed. Certainly worth paying some attention to this year to see if he is worth a pick as a project.
T-Birds Sign Matthew Rempe – Seattle Thunderbirds

Can see his WHL goal at 2:46 in the highlights. He wears #32
WHL Network

I think you meant to put this in @aragorn s inbox. :sarcasm:

Anyway, the kid looks awkwaaard. Just a kid though. If he shows some skill the rest of the year, I'd be fine taking him with a 6-7th round pick.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I think you meant to put this in @aragorn s inbox. :sarcasm:

Anyway, the kid looks awkwaaard. Just a kid though. If he shows some skill the rest of the year, I'd be fine taking him with a 6-7th round pick.

Well those first two clips are from last season and Matthew Rempe was only 16 at the time. He is now 17 and just made his WHL debut recently and scored a goal in his second game. I would assume he has made some meaningful improvements from last season for the Seattle Thunderbirds to let him play in the WHL. He also has two older sisters that are twins and playing hockey in the NCAA right now so that is also a positive sign that he has some athletic siblings that have enough skill to play in the NCAA.

I think he is worth paying attention to and scouting further. There is possibly some raw potential there and this season will indicate how he is progressing and whether it looks like he has what it takes to be a legit NHL prospect. Given how many picks we have now and that we might get a few more at the deadline, if Rempe has a solid season he could be worth a late pick. I would rather take a flyer on him than some of the other picks we have taken in late rounds over the years. Given our overall depth and Rempe's age we would be able to give him plenty of time to develop and physically mature. But again it is contingent on his performance this season.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Every time I watch Zary (admittedly not a ton so far) I've come away impressed. Couple that with the fact that size isn't an issue (he's not a monster, but he's not small by any means) and the fact he's tied for the league lead in points in the WHL and I'm not sure what more this kid can do to raise his draft stock. McKeen's is the only publication (I think ) that has him ranked ahead of #22 overall and he's never mentioned in the same breath as anyone in the top-15. Just very little hype around this kid so far, imo.

Speaking of guys leading the WHL in points, I'm gonna (way) prematurely give myself a pat on the back for bringing up Alexei Protas last season. Guy has 30 points in 20 games (co-leader in WHL scoring) while leading the Raiders in goals, assists and +/-. He's absolutely been the straw that stirs the drink for that team and I'd be willing to bet a ton he's an NHLer in some capacity in the next few years. He's too big and smart and fast (relatively speaking) to not carve out some kind of role. Whether the scoring translates is another question, but he's too good to completely fail, imo.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Quick (and late) heads up, but Zary is also playing in the Canada /Russia Super Series tonight. I believe he's the only draft eligible guy suiting up for the WHL team tonight, but lots of interesting names to check out that we debated last year (Byram, Tracey, Korczak, Krebs, Cozens, Dach, ect).

Russia is up by 1 going into the 3rd.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Quick (and late) heads up, but Zary is also playing in the Canada /Russia Super Series tonight. I believe he's the only draft eligible guy suiting up for the WHL team tonight, but lots of interesting names to check out that we debated last year (Byram, Tracey, Korczak, Krebs, Cozens, Dach, ect).

Russia is up by 1 going into the 3rd.

I just got home from the game. Zary looked good. Good speed, smart, safe decisions. He had some shifts with Cozens-Tracey, but they tried a few different people there.

Canada had one other 2020 first time eligible, Braden Schneider. I can see why scouts are raving about him. Real good reads defensively. Have yet to see anything to suggest much offensive upside, but he looks like a surefire NHL player in some capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad