Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 92nd Overall Pick, Oliver Tarnstrom C

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
@Edge Please tell me what to think about this.

Two-way center with good playmaking skills. Very good anticipation and IQ, some questions about whether he actually has the physical tools and skills to match the awareness.

Plays a somewhat similar game to a guy like Mercer in this draft, but didn't have quite the same window to show what he can do offensively.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Two-way center with good playmaking skills. Very good anticipation and IQ, some questions about whether he actually has the physical tools and skills to match the awareness.

Plays a somewhat similar game to a guy like Mercer in this draft, but didn't have quite the same window to show what he can do offensively.

Yeah, I think that if he had shown more at a higher level, he could've been a high second round pick. REALLY curious to see how he develops this year.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, I think that if he had shown more at a higher level, he could've been a high second round pick. REALLY curious to see how he develops this year.

He's a bit of a mystery prize. On a attrbute by attribute checklist, he's not necessarily that far off from some guys in the first. But you don't have enough evidence of it to justify taking him in the same range as some of those guys.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Means nothing to me — but I do remember often drafting his father in the final round of NHL 2003 fantasy drafts when I was 14. :laugh:

Reactions: Leetch3

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He's a bit of a mystery prize. On a attrbute by attribute checklist, he's not necessarily that far off from some guys in the first. But you don't have enough evidence of it to justify taking him in the same range as some of those guys.
Yep. Agreed completely. I love taking guys like that in the third round. You can get a supremely skilled guy, there, who just hasn't had a chance to show it. No clue if he can replicate it at a higher level.

Reactions: jas

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yep. Agreed completely. I love taking guys like that in the third round. You can get a supremely skilled guy, there, who just hasn't had a chance to show it. No clue if he can replicate it at a higher level.

The reason why so many Russian kids got picked (higher) this year by taking advantage of opportunities to showcase in the KHL.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The reason why so many Russian kids got picked (higher) this year by taking advantage of opportunities to showcase in the KHL.

Yeah, and I also must say that it was a bit due because like last year, after the top guys, many were easily picked like a round after when compareables from other countries got picked.

In the past Russia did produce many 1 sided prospects. Kids more skilled than the rest, but with more issues in other areas. The kids that weren’t skilled were more PF types. The reason for that is quite simple, say 15 years ago the kids trained more but didn’t have the junior/2nd tier hockey route that kept up with compareable programs. When Sweden played Russia in a WJC, they always did some thing a bit worse than the rest and some other things a bit better.

As a result, many drafts of Russians were a bit front heavy and most picks after the top 15-30 were boom/bust type of picks.

But this just isn’t the case anymore. The VHL/MHL are functioning much better, they are doing a much better job, it’s obviously more competitive. In short, kids playing in those leagues just have much fewer issues than they had 15 years ago.

There are zero objective reasons for why a Yegor Spiridonov should be picked like 3 rounds after a John Beecher which happened last year.

Reactions: egelband

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I like Tärnström quite a bit as a prospect, 92 was earlier then i thought he would go but i'm OK with it.

I don't agree with people who say his skating is one of his strengths, he's mobile enough but i'd call his skating average or slightly above average, needs to get stronger in his lower body. He thinks the game quickly though so he can play a fast game even if he doesn't necessarily skate fast.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I like Tärnström quite a bit as a prospect, 92 was earlier then i thought he would go but i'm OK with it.

I don't agree with people who say his skating is one of his strengths, he's mobile enough but i'd call his skating average or slightly above average, needs to get stronger in his lower body. He thinks the game quickly though so he can play a fast game even if he doesn't necessarily skate fast.

Dom Moore upside?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Good two way player, agree with the sentiment that he needs to get stronger, though he is one of the younger prospects in this draft. Lower body is ok now but he's pushing his motor to eleven every shift, needs to grow and some good coaching.

Reactions: Leetch3

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Sounds like his floor is Elias Pettersson. Excellent. We won’t have to move Lafreniere to C.

Agreed, or a mix between Jagrs skating and PJ Axelsson’s shot and Girardi’s backhand in Christensens body.

Btw I disagree with the notion that he must get stronger, I think he must get weaker. 155 lbs is too much, must slim down at least 15 lbs. ;)

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Dom Moore upside?

Seriously though, I don’t think it’s possible to cap the potential on a kid like this, that is so raw. Take Panarin who also was super raw at the same age, he skated like crap (just a choppy ugly stride) but like on pure will and clutchness created a lot of offense. If he can be Hart Trophy materia, how is the ceiling for Tarnstrom described? Low end No 1C? Zetterberg II? OTOH, what is the floor, bottom 2 line player in Allsvenskan? It becomes meaningless.

I think the only thing we can do is acknowledge that we got a kid who is really really raw, and as he progress his development curve could be explosive or not. The scouts obviously see a lot of quality in him, then it remains to be seen if he will develop the physical tools to accompany that quality.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Seriously though, I don’t think it’s possible to cap the potential on a kid like this, that is so raw. Take Panarin who also was super raw at the same age, he skated like crap (just a choppy ugly stride) but like on pure will and clutchness created a lot of offense. If he can be Hart Trophy materia, how is the ceiling for Tarnstrom described? Low end No 1C? Zetterberg II? OTOH, what is the floor, bottom 2 line player in Allsvenskan? It becomes meaningless.

I think the only thing we can do is acknowledge that we got a kid who is really really raw, and as he progress his development curve could be explosive or not. The scouts obviously see a lot of quality in him, then it remains to be seen if he will develop the physical tools to accompany that quality.
Yep. It’s all about what’s inside these guys. Literally anything can happen. It’s soooooo early.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
That is a sick f***ing shot. Is this guy boom or bust or more a safe guy?

from what i've heard he might be a boom or bust on the offensive side of the puck but more of a safe bet on the defensive side. how his offense pans out will determine if he's got 2nd line upside or bottom 6....far from a sure thing but seems to be some upside there.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
from what i've heard he might be a boom or bust on the offensive side of the puck but more of a safe bet on the defensive side. how his offense pans out will determine if he's got 2nd line upside or bottom 6....far from a sure thing but seems to be some upside there.

Well that's pretty ideal for a third liner. Offensive potential but still have defensive ability that he can become an NHLer if he doesn't meet that potential.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Great content as usual. I'd be curious to know what the brass thought of Tarnstrom in comparison to some of the other center prospects this year. There were a lot of jack of all trades middle six centers available, and I will bet you a number of them don't progress. If they were high on Oliver, then that might be a good value.

His old man was a pro's pro, and one of HF's all-time whipping boys. For the 06 Pens team, I believe Dick was what Rosizval was to the Rangers at some point.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Great content as usual. I'd be curious to know what the brass thought of Tarnstrom in comparison to some of the other center prospects this year. There were a lot of jack of all trades middle six centers available, and I will bet you a number of them don't progress. If they were high on Oliver, then that might be a good value.

His old man was a pro's pro, and one of HF's all-time whipping boys. For the 06 Pens team, I believe Dick was what Rosizval was to the Rangers at some point.

Ultimately, Tarnstrom is the kid you draft knowing there are some more question marks in his profile than other choices. But you take him hoping that some of the question marks get solved with time --- and accepting that they might not.

I will say there were other players I would've taken with the Tarnstrom pick, and some of them were guys I know the Rangers liked but how ranked a little lower. Ironically enough, they took two of those guys in the fifth (Vierling and Berard). So that's nice value.

But I can see what the Rangers are thinking/hoping.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

didnt Islanders fans hate him as well when he was on their team? he was a decent 5th 6th dman in my opinion.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Thanks Mikos. It's insightful talking to these kids and hear different expectations and overall outlooks on their careers. Some are more willing than others to share personal stuff which I obviously can't include but it really puts into perspective for me what these kids go through

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad