Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 92nd Overall Pick, Oliver Tarnstrom C

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
One of this draft’s bigger sleeper picks, Oliver Tärnström is a zippy forward who seems to be able to think the game at a similar speed. His 34 points in 41 games isn’t exactly standout, but he was the strongest play driver on one of the SuperElit’s weakest teams, elevating play of those around him. He’s also one of the draft’s youngest players as a late August birthday. Peep the highlight reeland scouting report from friend of the blog Ashley Glover — Tärnström likely wouldn’t have been in this section without his hype. But if there’s any candidate in this piece to have a huge breakout year, it’s Tärnström

2020 NHL Draft Profiles: Swedish Forwards

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A little surprised how high we picked this kid, but he fits the mold of what we especially looked for in last years draft too with picks like Aaltonen and Henriksson. In short, a really strong skater who besides his skating and offense have a bit of a fall back option because they can also become that speedy energy type of checker that is having a lot of success around the league.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I honestly don't really know much about him, nor did I read much about him previously so i'm going to hold off a bit on my opinion of the pick.

Reactions: Leetch3

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Good article!

Nu kommer nästa generation Tärnström - Hockeysverige

Today is the premiere for hockeysverige.se's new article series Talent 2020. Here Ronnie Rönnkvist meets the players who constitute the future of Swedish ice hockey. First out: AIK legend Dick Tärnström's son Oliver, who made his A-team debut in the Hockeyallsvenskan as recently as last week.

JOHANNESHOV (HOCKEYSVERIGE.SE)

Today, hockeysverige.se begins the article series Talent 2020. Here Ronnie Rönnkvist will meet the next wave of talents in Swedish ice hockey. Not primarily those who have already made their debut in the SHL or played for a place in the JVM, but guys who are still found in the younger junior national teams, the J18 series or the J20 SuperElit.

We start this new series of articles by taking a turn to the Court in the southern parts of Stockholm. This is where AIK has its hometown. On the ceiling hang legends such as Leif "Honken" Holmqvist, Bert-Ola Nordlander, Mats Thelin, Rolf "Råttan" Edberg, Leif Holmgren, Peter Gradin and Roger Andersson. Soon Ulf "Lill-Pröjsarn" Nilssons will also join these legends.
In part one of our new series, you will meet another AIK legend's son. It's about Oliver Tärnström. Dad is Dick Tärnström who played 14 seasons in the club's A-team. Oliver was born in Stockholm in August 2002, just before dad Dick would start his second season in the NHL.

- I think my first memories are from Edmonton. Before that, I was probably too small to remember anything, says Oliver Tärnström with a smile when we sat down at a restaurant in the Globen area.

The 17-year-old also tells what he remembers from his time in the USA and Canada, where Dick Tärnström played just over 300 NHL matches.
- In Edmonton, I remember I had a basketball machine in the room. I stood there all day. My strongest memory from Columbus is that I had a floorball room in the basement where I ran around and dribbled.

Did you play any hockey in the US or Canada?
- Yes, in Edmonton. Then I played when we lived in Switzerland (Lugano). My first match? I actually do not know which one it was. Either it was in Edmonton or at home in Värmdö.

ADMIRES DATSIUK
Of course, Oliver Tärnström had his father as a role model, but unlike Dick Tärnström, the son is the center. There are therefore two more players he looks up to who have the same position as himself.

- Besides dad, I watched a lot of Pavel Datsiuk. He can do things with the puck that no one else can. It's cool to watch.

- Lately I have looked a lot at Elias Pettersson. It's a bit similar there, that he can make nice draws, has a good shot and nice passes.

There are also those who compare the AIK forward's style of play with Elias Pettersson. He even sees similarities in their game.
- A little neighbor maybe. We are both quite thin and have to cope more with club technique.

The Tärnström family is not just Oliver and Dick. In hockey circles we also find Uncle Tom, sports director in Väsby, and cousin Alexander, forward in Segeltorp. You could assume that a lot of hockey is talked about around the dinner table, but not ...

- We try not to talk too much hockey so that everyone in the family can keep up. I also have a little brother who does not like hockey that much. He does not play hockey and does not play sports with anything else either.

BORN WITH DISEASE
Oliver Tärnström's path to an A-team debut in the Hockeyallsvenskan has been far from straight. At a young age, he had problems when he was afflicted with a disease that made him unable to assimilate the nutrients he ate.
- This was from the time I was born to the time I was ten years old. It was worse when I was younger, but then it got better and better. Today I am completely healthy from it.
- At first we did not really know what it was. I did not grow on the width. We checked it out several times. Eventually we found out that I was missing some enzyme in my stomach so I could not break down carbohydrates.
- I got a medicine and after that everything got better. I no longer eat medicine and this was something you could grow out of in your teens.
Have you lost some weight due to the illness you had?
- Yes, I have always been behind in weight, but I am struggling in the race, says the AIK talent with a smile.

LOOSED AT HOCKEY HIGH SCHOOL
In 2008, the family returned to Sweden from North America, which also meant that Oliver Tärnström started playing for Värmdö HC.
- I played there for U13 or U14. After that I went to AIK and have played there ever since. It was fun in Värmdö and I enjoyed it there.
- Many of my classmates also played there in Värmdö. None of them went to AIK, but it was another friend from Värmdö who came there a few years after me. He is back now and playing in Nacka.
Why did you choose to take the step to AIK?
- I wanted to take the next level from Värmdö to an elite club to get better competition, training and so on
are.
- I think the change was quite simple anyway and they took care of me well. In terms of hockey, in the beginning it was a bit tough. In AIK, you train skating technique with skating trainers from an early age. I was very long after that. It was a bit hard, but got better pretty quickly.
Oliver Tärnström. Photo: Ronnie Rönnkvist
In the last three seasons, Oliver Tärnström has had a development that has pointed upwards. In the 2017/18 season, he played in AIK's U16. This season he has made his debut in AIK's A-team in the Hockeyallsvenskan.
- I had a pretty hard year in U15 when everyone had grown a lot with puberty and all that while I was quite late. Sometimes I didn't get to play that much. Since then, things have been getting better and better all the time until now.
What has caused it to come loose as you see it?
- Mainly I think it is from when I started at hockey high school. There we have had the conditions to be able to train more. I have always been able to stay on the ice and train extra.
Have you always understood the importance of having to train?
- Ja…
Did you get it from Dad?
- Yes, he knows what it takes to get where I want to go and has told me how much you need to train.
How have you handled the mental part when everything has progressed very fast in recent seasons?
- I try to take it easy and just play as well as I can where I am, do my best all the time. When I then got the chance, first in J20, I tried to do it as well as possible. It is the same with the A-team.

A-TEAM DEBUT
Last week, the A-team debut for AIK came in the Hockeyallsvenskan. Oliver Tärnström played 9.30 in the 5-6 loss against Karlskrona at home at Hovet.
- It was awesome and something I dreamed of since I was very young. I have always, since I was five, six years old, gone to the Court and watched AIK's matches. Then it was very cool to now be on the ice as well, says the 17-year-old with a big smile and continues.
- The J20 coach, Anders Hultin, called me the day before and said that I would play a match with the A-team the next day. I got a little nervous, but also very happy. Then I ran downstairs and told my mother, called dad, grandpa…, laughs Oliver Tärnström.
The first change was also a bit special for the debutant.
- I came in and had a technical in my first change. I fell at the tech so I was a little ashamed, haha… Then it went well and the nervousness released a little, but not completely. It was still a little annoying.
Was there a different feeling in the second match, the one against Västerås?
- Maybe a bit. It is a little different to play at home or away at the same time as the game was a little faster against Västerås.

LANDSLAGSCHANS
Later this week, Oliver Tärnström leaves for the U18 national team's elite camp in Falun.
- It feels great. This will be the first time I'm on something like this. I have not been to any national teams before or to the TV puck so it will be exciting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->