Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 127th overall pick, Evan Vierling, C

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The second overall pick in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection Draft, Evan Vierling had just six goals and 27 points in 60 games during his rookie season with the Flint Firebirds. This season, Vierling had two goals and 10 points in his first 15 games with Flint. He was traded to the Barrie Colts and went on a tear. Vierling broke out with 12 goals and 22 assists for 34 points in 28 games before the season was shutdown. Vierling was an alternate captain for Team Canada Red at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored two goals and an assist for three points in six tournament games.

An Aurora, Ontario native, Vierling played his minor hockey for the York Simcoe Express. He led the team to the OMHA title with 63 points in 33 games as well as 10 points in six playoff games. Vierling put up five goals and 10 points in six games at the OHL Cup. He was named to the tournament all-star team. It was the same statline that he put up in the 2017 OHL Cup. Vierling put up one goal and five points in four games for Team OMHA at the OGC-16 tournament, winning bronze.

Evan Vierling Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #81 - Last Word on Hockey

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
DraftAnalyst Report:
"A slick playmaking center whose season was rejuvenated following his trade from Flint to Barrie...
"...nimble and slippery in tight spaces, but his smooth skating and lateral agility help him create time and space in open ice...

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Love it. Tremendous value and really picked up his play after he left Flint.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The scouting reports sound like another small, undersized center we took in the 4th round many years ago. Hope we don't trade this kid too.

Reactions: egelband and cwede

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
According to draft prospects hockey, they think he could be the steal of the draft. Pass first responsible center that has great 2 way IQ. Their words not mine.
They also said "he's skinny and struggles with physical battles. Needs to hit the gym and not skip leg day" had him ranked #66

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Good value per Pronmon report:

98. Evan Vierling, C, Barrie-OHL
June 20, 2002 | six-foot | 168 pounds

Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 45
Hockey Sense: 60

Vierling was the former No. 2 overall pick in his OHL Draft. He was good but not great during his one-and-a-half seasons in Flint, but really took off following a trade to Barrie, scoring 34 points in 28 games. Vierling is a skilled player with very good offensive IQ. He is a guy who makes plays in the offensive zone and can be a half-wall player on the power play. He isn’t an overly physical player, but he doesn’t shy away from getting to the net. Watching him over the past two years, I wouldn’t say he’s a dynamic player; and given his average footspeed that results in him being a bubble NHL prospect. It’s hard to ignore his productive season and that he does have a fair amount of talent, though.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Both HP and FC had him ranked in the 70s, and the consensus seems to be that he has the tools, it's whether he can learn to use them at the NHL level

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Steal of the draft. As a devil fan who wanted him I even said if he was picked #20 in the first round I wouldn’t have been upset with the pick. I would’ve been upset that we took him too early.
Been watching him for about 5 years now. Him and Byfield were #1 &2 in the same YSE minor midget team and he was arguably just as valueable to his team. He went #2 in the draft behind Byfield.
He has a mean steak and is going to be in selke consideration for years. This is the kind of kid you win with.
Flint screwed him and when he came to Barrie he flourished and IMO was better than Foerster who i also have been watching for years.
Luckily as a devil fan in Toronto I don’t have a hate for the rangers.
And I will say that your prospect and young players is the best I have seen in my lifetime and I’m 45

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Just realized if we took Byfield first we would have the top 3 picks of the 2018 ohl priority draft. Also Verling and Byfield played together in minor midget

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
These are the mid-round picks that I love. Swing for the fences with the kids that were highly regarded at 16 and 17. Seems there were a lot of issues in Flint and his game took off after the trade to Barrie. Maybe he's just another Evan McGrath, but worth taking that HR swing.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
outstanding value pick here. again, this shows me they are paying attention.

this kid has "it" stuff. hes a mean son of a gun for a smaller player and has that motor you drool over. hes slippery and smart. this is a player that will make a spot for himself. he will force you to play him.

i know for sure that alot of people liked this kid higher. ive heard whispers about him the last 5 weeks,

as i said before, no guarantees but the upside here is north of fantastic. good swing/miss pick.

me likeee.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Seems like the Rangers are prioritizing smarts and sense over tools. Which i think is smart, when you can’t have both. There are a lot of successful players in this mold. Guys who know where to be. How to steal an extra step or an angle.

That’s one of the things I like about Lafreniere, his game is built on hockey instincts. Which age quite well. And translate from one play-style and trend to another.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Antialiasing is something you see in graphical processing to clean up the image quality in a 3D rendering. This pick is an antialiasing effort on the Rangers front. Really rooting for Evan.

Sometimes it's just timing is it not?

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia