Prospect Info: 2020 NHL Draft 127th overall pick, Evan Vierling, C

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Steal of the draft. As a devil fan who wanted him I even said if he was picked #20 in the first round I wouldn’t have been upset with the pick. I would’ve been upset that we took him too early.
Been watching him for about 5 years now. Him and Byfield were #1 &2 in the same YSE minor midget team and he was arguably just as valueable to his team. He went #2 in the draft behind Byfield.
He has a mean steak and is going to be in selke consideration for years. This is the kind of kid you win with.
Flint screwed him and when he came to Barrie he flourished and IMO was better than Foerster who i also have been watching for years.
Luckily as a devil fan in Toronto I don’t have a hate for the rangers.
And I will say that your prospect and young players is the best I have seen in my lifetime and I’m 45
as a Rangers fan I appreciate this and I can't wait for more years or the Kakko vs Hughes rivalry.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The Rangers traded their own 7th round pick, and the 7th round pick they acquired for Marek Mazanec to move up and steal this guy. Maybe he makes it, and maybe he doesn't, but either way that is some darned good GMing.

Would you rather have a 15% chance that your 5th rounder makes it or have two shots with 7th rounders who have at best a 10% chance each? Considering the odds are pretty bad either way, I'm fine moving up to take someone the team feels has a better chance to beat the odds.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Sometimes with guys like this you wonder what the heck other teams scouts are looking at. I'm still amazed that the stupid Leafs didn't draft Schneider. Just one of many examples why they will never win crap.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Antialiasing is something you see in graphical processing to clean up the image quality in a 3D rendering. This pick is an antialiasing effort on the Rangers front. Really rooting for Evan.

Sometimes it's just timing is it not?
The Rangers definitely anti-Lias'ed this week :)

Reactions: Leetch3

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Why have NYR done absolutely nothing with this kid?

Every OHL player picked up in the draft was assigned to the AHL or ECHL. Vierling is the only OHL player drafted which has played literally zero hockey since Covid hit.

Even Will Cuylle was assigned to Hartford.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Why have NYR done absolutely nothing with this kid?

Every OHL player picked up in the draft was assigned to the AHL or ECHL. Vierling is the only OHL player drafted which has played literally zero hockey since Covid hit.

Even Will Cuylle was assigned to Hartford.

They had a bit of a logjam at center as it is. I think they just made a cut off somewhere, since Rempe wasn't given an ATO for Hartford either

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
They had a bit of a logjam at center as it is. I think they just made a cut off somewhere, since Rempe wasn't given an ATO for Hartford either
But to me that is just poor management. Surely NYR could find a place for him in Maine to at least get him playing some sort of hockey.

Rempe was given a start date for the WHL at the start of Feb so was training from that point on. Nearly 2 months on from then, the OHL doesnt seem as if they will play any hockey this season.

This is just an entire waste of a year of his development. Surely any hockey is better than no hockey.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I suspect that among the reasons why Schneider and Robertson got Hartford invites is because they both were 19 and both are big and strong for their age. Cuylle is a big strong guy too. If Vierling is checking in at 5’11 165 they probably didn’t want him against bigger, stronger, older pros.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
But to me that is just poor management. Surely NYR could find a place for him in Maine to at least get him playing some sort of hockey.

Rempe was given a start date for the WHL at the start of Feb so was training from that point on. Nearly 2 months on from then, the OHL doesnt seem as if they will play any hockey this season.

This is just an entire waste of a year of his development. Surely any hockey is better than no hockey.

The Maine Mariners aren't playing this season. Look, Hunter Skinner signed a contract with the Utah Grizzlies in the ECHL. Nothing was stopping Evan Vierling from doing the same elsewhere.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
he's younger and a lot smaller than Cuylle

they could have brought him to Hartford for practices, and never played him, as Habs seem to be doing w d-man Leguerrier in Laval,
but there are lots of Forwards there already

ideally he is committedly working on conditioning and getting stronger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad