NBA 2020 NBA Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
A 5 seed being 10-1 in the playoffs and undefeated in regulation is why I can’t take these bubble playoffs with a grain of salt

Sep 19, 2008
if it makes you feel any better the heat probably would have smacked around the north too

fitting that the celtics don't win a single game (fine...both so far went to OT) after beating the north.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
The NBA has parity. The Lakers missed the playoffs 6 straight years.

What the NBA also has (to its detriment) is predictability. Usually by the start of the playoffs, it's pretty apparent who the favorite(s) are. And unlike in baseball or hockey, the upset rate is generally pretty small. So if there's one team clearly the best, if they stay healthy they almost always win the championship. And when there's 2 or 3 teams that are close, it's also pretty much guaranteed to be one of them.

Reactions: HisIceness

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
The NBA has parity. The Lakers missed the playoffs 6 straight years.

No, I don't think so.

It either a LeBron super team or the Warriors super team... Only thing that stopped them from winning 5 in a row were injuries and suspensions.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Lakers being horribly run had nothing to do with parity.

To be fair Kupchak was under enormous pressure to maximize Kobe's final years and then continue making the playoffs even after Bean retired. Doesn't make an excuse for giving guys like Deng 60 million but he was trying to keep things alive.

Also, no surprise Giannis won MVP. Thought the voters might give to to Bron cause of narratives and what not but GA was the easy pick.

One more tweet about the Clippers and Game 7.

Edit: last one.

Kawhi needs to get away from this loser.

What got me was the whole "we weren't all-in this year" thing.... trading a ton of 1st round picks + a young stud for a player who is under contract for only 2 seasons , then trading another first round pick mid-season, then signing the top free agent to what amounts for a 2 year deal is essentially what you would call going all in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Del Preston

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
No, I don't think so.

It either a LeBron super team or the Warriors super team... Only thing that stopped them from winning 5 in a row were injuries and suspensions.

Elite all-time superstars tend to dominate in the NBA, because having the best player on the floor in a close-ish contest heavily favors the team with that player. It takes a pretty big edge everywhere else on the court to overcome that. And the "collective" rosters tend to not stay as strong for as long, perhaps because inevitably a few of those guys drop off at some point or want to move on and be the main guy somewhere else.

It's not just Lebron or the Warriors who have a run on things, it happened with Shaq / Kobe, or it was TD's Spurs, before that it was MJ's Bulls. The 80s are remembered so fondly because you had two superteams at the same time on equally loaded rosters, and thus the Celts/Lakers won 8 out of the 10 championships. There were some other pretty strong teams in those years, with multiple star players, but the teams with the absolute best players tend to win the lion's share of championships.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
3 teams have been involved in the NBA Finals since 2014
Golden state
Cleveland
Toronto

Definitely do not think parity exists in the NBA.

like Windhorst, Jalen Rose, Wojnaroski etc etc said.....
The Super Max was designed to help with Parity and it hasn’t worked.
The official memo that went out went the super max was created states:
disincentivize the creation of superteams in the interest of parity”

I have no idea how to fix parity in the NBA. But the NBA’s main tool has failed.

Last edited:

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
All the playoff pretenders like the Greek are gone. AD deserved DPOY. My 3 favorite players for years are Kawhi since 2014, Dame $, and Butler since the Bulls. This is Game 1 of the real playoffs. Should be great.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I have no idea how to fix parity in the NBA. But the NBA’s main tool has failed.

There is no fix, unless you make it so that the best of the best players aren't allowed to stay with a team for very long.

Guys who are in the conversation for top 10-15 of all time (especially those in the GOAT convo) will at some point end up in a situation where they have enough talent around them to start racking up championships, and most times if you're good enough one year you're good enough for a couple more. Pretty much the only obstacle for guys like that is managerial incompetence, injuries, or entering the league at the same time as another great player with a better team around them.

I mean, how would you have kept MJ's Bulls from dominating the 90's? Or Magic and Bird from owning the 80s? Maybe you could have artificially dismantled those teams, but no matter where they went those were still championship centerpiece type players that would quickly be built around. You build around guys like Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Lebron, etc., sooner or later you're going to have a championship caliber team. Championships follow those guys around for a reason.

Besides, parity is overrated. The 80s were when the NBA exploded in popularity, when there was no parity at all. Whereas the 70s which had 10 different champs in 10 years (can't ask for much more parity than that) pretty much was the NBA at its crappiest. If you'd shuffled Bird and Magic off to other teams in the 80s, all that would have probably happened is those guys in different uniforms still fighting for championships.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Since 2010, 8 teams have been to the finals. If Denver wins this series they would be the 9th. Seems ok to me given the nature of the sport.

Edit: Correction, 9 teams.

Reactions: Avs_19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad