Prospect Info: 2020 Los Angeles Kings Prospect Rankings #15

Who is the Kings #15 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I am SMH that Austin Strand is flying so far below the radar. He gets no love from the Hoven/Bernstein clones at all. Kid is 6’4” - 215#; skates well and has a harder more accurate shot than Colin Miller ever had. When he is putting up 40 points for Seattle people will be saying “I can’t believe we let him go.”

In terms of right shot defensive prospects, Strand is reasonably fifth on the depth chart:
Grans
Spence
Faber
Durzi
Strand

I could easily see switching Durzi and Strand, but in terms of projections, the first three are all well above those two.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I am SMH that Austin Strand is flying so far below the radar. He gets no love from the Hoven/Bernstein clones at all. Kid is 6’4” - 215#; skates well and has a harder more accurate shot than Colin Miller ever had. When he is putting up 40 points for Seattle people will be saying “I can’t believe we let him go.”

So where is he on your list? Would you like to post it?

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019
In terms of right shot defensive prospects, Strand is reasonably fifth on the depth chart:
Grans
Spence
Faber
Durzi
Strand

I could easily see switching Durzi and Strand, but in terms of projections, the first three are all well above those two.

My point is that he is the Kings RHD prospect that is closest to being NHL ready right now. Durzi needs at least another year in the AHL. Grans might be close too. But before the draft, Strand was the obvious choice.

RossLonsberryFan

Aug 28, 2019

My point is that he is the Kings RHD prospect that is closest to being NHL ready right now. Durzi needs at least another year in the AHL. Grans might be close too. But before the draft, Strand was the obvious choice.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Strand has one of the best heavy and accurate shots from range in the organization, maybe the best. His defensive awareness and reads are a work in progress. He carries the puck okay for a big man. He seems to have balance or strength issues along the boards while battling, and needs to work on his pivot. I've seen him fall down several times when attempting to turn and pivot quickly on transition, enabling opponents to have an outnumbered attack. He's a big guy, but not overly physical or strong, at least I don't get that impression watching him play. Hopefully he's really filled out by now and stronger. He's definitely a project player. Not sure I would deem him close to NHL ready unless he's made some great strides with his skating and balance plus his defensive acumen. He was often in a defensive rotation with Durzi last season, I expect he and Durzi will both play full-time this season if they earn it. Those are my observations anyway.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Calling people who rank him low as "Hoven/Bernstein clones" suggests we lack originality or are incapable of independent thought. Which I think is a bit insulting. Maybe that's not your intent, or maybe I'm misreading. If that's the case, I apologize. My thoughts on Strand and my ranking:

1) his age/experience over the other RHD prospects is why he's closest. I expect Faber, Grans, and Spence to all be in a better position/more experienced than Strand at 22/23. I'm not high on Durzi, either, and ultinately consider it a wash.
2) I think Strand will eventually (and rightfully) get a cup of coffee somewhere, but I don't think he'll stick in the NHL.
3) NHL readiness isn't the ranking/criteria? Well, maybe it is for some. But not me. It's a factor in my rankings.
4) the draft happened and rankings change
5) Spence has always been a bit higher on my list. So I disagree with Strand being the "obvious choice" before the draft. Spence has been a top defenseman on one of the top teams in the Q, and produces at a good clip.

Ultimately, I have Strand in the 30-ish range and Durzi a few spots higher. Grans is the highest at 8. Spence and Faber are in the teens.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I thought I liked Strand more than most but I don't have "time to breaking in to NHL" as a criteria, them being on the roster this year has no bearing on how I feel about their fulfillment of potential as a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad