OT - NO POLITICS 2020 keeps giving - Peanuts Holiday Specials will NOT been seen on broadcast TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
tumblr_inline_nxap9gmdkz1t0ijhl_500.gif

tenor.gif

Good grief! ABC benches Charlie Brown, cancelling Halloween and Christmas – brioux.tv

They will ONLY be available via Apple +​

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Seems to me the Peanuts people shorted themselves. They could easily have sold broadcast rights for both regular broadcast television and streaming and made more.

I'd guess that Apple TV+ paid more to make it exclusive though, so if anyone is going to pay to get access to the specials, I can say that Apple does have a handful of good programs. There's Mythic Quest from Rob McEllhenny, who created It's Always Sunny. The Morning Show with Aniston and company is a little heavy, but very well done. And my personal favorite, Ted Lasso, which is a show based on the Jason Sudekis character he did for the premier league on nbc commercials.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Well Apple can just f*** right off :rant:

I've watched "A Charlie Brown Christmas" every.single.year. since it was first aired in 1965. Now the streak is over. Thanks Apple. :madfire:

I wouldn't blame them so much as ABC for not ponying up the $$$ to retain the broadcast rights. Aside from that, I'm sure there's a blu ray available if need be. Or just download Apple TV+ and pay the fee to keep the streak going?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I wouldn't blame them so much as ABC for not ponying up the $$$ to retain the broadcast rights. Aside from that, I'm sure there's a blu ray available if need be. Or just download Apple TV+ and pay the fee to keep the streak going?

ABC is the same network that once edited out a portion of the show to fit the time slot. They caught tons of shit about it (yes I emailed them too) and restored it to subsequent airings. So I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by what they've done here.

I have been considering cutting the cable cord but I'm finding the streaming services too complicated to figure out. Another sign of age I suppose, I'll have to ask the kids for help :wally:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It's not the same though! And Apple isn't getting one cent off me for that.

:wally:

Hmph!

They better not mess with Rudolph!

......I need cookies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Agreed. Those are family events. It's exciting when it's aired on network TV and def not the same when you can just watch on demand

I think Apple is charging for specific access, and only making them free for a couple of days if you have the service. So it would be additional for me as a subscriber, unless I watch during the free time period. And if you don't want to get the service, you can pay a one off fee to view it. If that makes sense.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
It's a shame the older generations make decisions and changes like this that ruin the holidays for the younger ones. Definitely doesn't feel the same as watching live on TV.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
ABC is the same network that once edited out a portion of the show to fit the time slot. They caught tons of shit about it (yes I emailed them too) and restored it to subsequent airings. So I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by what they've done here.

I have been considering cutting the cable cord but I'm finding the streaming services too complicated to figure out. Another sign of age I suppose, I'll have to ask the kids for help :wally:

There are different services and each provided something different. Netflix and Amazon Prime are typically just streaming services. They create their own content or license it from others and offer it up to binge all at once with a handful of exceptions. Hulu does this as well, but they also offer live tv, which is like cable, but streamed, so it's less expensive than traditional cable. You can buy either the streaming or the live tv from Hulu separately, but also bundle them too. And they offer tiers with or without commercials. It's all as clear as mud. lol

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's a shame the older generations make decisions and changes like this that ruin the holidays for the younger ones. Definitely doesn't feel the same as watching live on TV.

When I was a kid, it was a big deal. Everyone would be sitting in front of the set waiting for it to start and the next day in school, that's all anyone would talk about.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
There are different services and each provided something different. Netflix and Amazon Prime are typically just streaming services. They create their own content or license it from others and offer it up to binge all at once with a handful of exceptions. Hulu does this as well, but they also offer live tv, which is like cable, but streamed, so it's less expensive than traditional cable. You can buy either the streaming or the live tv from Hulu separately, but also bundle them too. And they offer tiers with or without commercials. It's all as clear as mud. lol

Yeah that's what I found out when I started researching lol. Hulu sounds right for me because although I don't watch much tv there are a few networks I watch often- NESN, Animal Planet etc and I'm not giving that up. I signed up with Amazon Prime before they got into the tv business so I already have that option just need to sign on for it.

Another dumb question- I don't want to stream on my computer, the screen isn't nearly big enough. How do you get it on your tv screen?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yeah that's what I found out when I started researching lol. Hulu sounds right for me because although I don't watch much tv there are a few networks I watch often- NESN, Animal Planet etc and I'm not giving that up. I signed up with Amazon Prime before they got into the tv business so I already have that option just need to sign on for it.

Another dumb question- I don't want to stream on my computer, the screen isn't nearly big enough. How do you get it on your tv screen?

You have a few options. The easiest is to have a smart TV with internet access which allows you to stream directly. If not a smart tv, the you'd need a streaming device to allow your TV to hit the wireless router so you can stream. Roku, Fire Stick or Alexa from Amazon are the most commonly used ones, but there are others. Another way is to use your phone to stream, and then project it to your tv, but your tv has to be compatible with your phone.

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
You have a few options. The easiest is to have a smart TV with internet access which allows you to stream directly. If not a smart tv, the you'd need a streaming device to allow your TV to hit the wireless router so you can stream. Roku, Fire Stick or Alexa from Amazon are the most commonly used ones, but there are others. Another way is to use your phone to stream, and then project it to your tv, but your tv has to be compatible with your phone.
I have XFinity, a smart Tv, and a Fire stick, all of which gives me access to Netflix, for example. And the interface for it looks different on each of those three methods lol.

Reactions: LSCII

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I bought my mother a smart TV with the Roku OS running it and she says its much easier than having separate devices plugged in with multiple controllers.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I bought my mother a smart TV with the Roku OS running it and she says its much easier than having separate devices plugged in with multiple controllers.

It is, but if you don't have a smart tv, you need something if you want to stream. We have a Roku and a Fire Stick from before we bought a smart tv, so the Fire stick is for the den, which doesn't have a smart tv and we use the Roku on our main set to get to Apple TV+ because it's not easy to find as an app on Samsung tvs for some reason, and Fire stick doesn't have it. I hate the Roku too, because the remote for it is hyper sensitive and turns on if you breath on it. A smart tv is the easiest way to go and they're pretty cheap these days.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009

Google Chromecast is another option.

How to watch Hulu on your Chromecast device

Reactions: BMC and LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad