Red Sox/MLB 2020 Hot Stove VI - Fenway Sports Group now worth $6.6 BILLiON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Not understanding you

He's making a joke that Benintendi is the source mentioned in the tweet. From the tweet:

"He also cites a source who says attaching Andrew Benintendi to Price in a trade is “not going to happen.”"

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sox picked a switch hitting middle infielder in the rule 5 who produced at a decent clip for his age at AA last year

Jonathan Arauz from the Astros

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Sox picked a switch hitting middle infielder in the rule 5 who produced at a decent clip for his age at AA last year

So what's the deal with the rule 5? He has to stay on the 40-man the whole year or is returned to the Astros?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So what's the deal with the rule 5? He has to stay on the 40-man the whole year or is returned to the Astros?

Has to stay on the active 25 (i think it may be 26 this coming year, which is probably why Bloom felt he could take the risk on a rule 5 guy). We can have him be “injured” for a little chunk of the season too

Seems like he can run a bit so if he has an ok glove we should be able to hide him. Being able to put up average production as a switch hitting 20 yr old in AA is interesting

Edit: Scouting reports say he could play 2B, SS, and 3B and has an unusually reliable glove for his age + a good arm

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He's making a joke that Benintendi is the source mentioned in the tweet. From the tweet:

"He also cites a source who says attaching Andrew Benintendi to Price in a trade is “not going to happen.”"
Ok

Not bad for KrejciMVP.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Rule 5 pick, from what I'm seeing out there, speculation as to whether it's a stopgap replacement for Pedroia/Brock Holt
In 2018 he had a pretty good year with Cincinnati

Last edited:
Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
In 2018 he had a pretty good year with Cincinnati

Yeah, used to be able to run too. Hopefully he was banged up last year and that explains the downturn in production and SB output

Reds fans thought he was their SS of the future going into last year

Last edited:

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

Minor league depth player at this point that may have a chance to make the majors some time.
What I do like is that he is almost three years younger than other players at the AA level.
Kid hit 8 HR's in high A and is only 150 lbs?
Wish him all the best.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Minor league depth player at this point that may have a chance to make the majors some time.
What I do like is that he is almost three years younger than other players at the AA level.
Kid hit 8 HR's in high A and is only 150 lbs?
Wish him all the best.

Yup, stash him for a year and have him start next year in AAA (unless he performs shockingly well at the MLB level). Boom. Then you’ll have a free switch hitting 22 yr old IF prospect with upside

Also got an injured hard thrower from the Yankees system.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Also with that rule 5 pick and peraza signing you can all but say goodbye to Brock Holt

I would be remiss if I didn’t point out how much he has meant to the team and the community. He’s really a treasure of a human being, and a good ball player too. So glad he was able to battle back from his own adversity he faced. Hopefully he gets paid on a multi-year deal.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Gammons was on MLBN talking about how he has heard scuttlebutt of a Price and Benintendi to the White Sox for Madrigal and Andrew Vaughn deal. Dependent on how much of price’s deal they eat. Those are 2 high profile prospects.

From what I’ve read in the past (I believe in regards to the Sale trade) the White Sox have had a crush on Benintendi for awhile. They missed out on him by 1 pick when Boston selected him.

Alright I’ll stop spamming now, I think that’s everything Sox related I’ve seen/heard On tv

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Gammons was on MLBN talking about how he has heard scuttlebutt of a Price and Benintendi to the White Sox for Madrigal and Andrew Vaughn deal. Dependent on how much of price’s deal they eat. Those are 2 high profile prospects.

From what I’ve read in the past (I believe in regards to the Sale trade) the White Sox have had a crush on Benintendi for awhile. They missed out on him by 1 pick when Boston selected him.

Alright I’ll stop spamming now, I think that’s everything Sox related I’ve seen/heard On tv
That I get - it’s not an attachment dump

Bloom could sign cheaply Avisail Garcia who could thrive at Fenway and play LF

Reactions: bbfan419 and CDJ

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

The White Sox shouldn’t make that deal imo. Hopefully they do

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Would certainly help the white Sox win now and it’s gives them an effective veteran pitcher with WS experience to mentor guys like Giolito. I know fans may not like him but his teammates universally love Price.

Plus Benintendi is an effective regular who is still pretty damn young. Still a potential all star even if he fell off the map for the last couple months of the season imo

There’s risk involved for the white Sox but they become a much better team in the present

Reactions: DKH

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Also with that rule 5 pick and peraza signing you can all but say goodbye to Brock Holt

I would be remiss if I didn’t point out how much he has meant to the team and the community. He’s really a treasure of a human being, and a good ball player too. So glad he was able to battle back from his own adversity he faced. Hopefully he gets paid on a multi-year deal.
I like this signing.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sox signed LHP Martin Perez to a 1 yr deal with a club option, per Rosenthal

I imagine he’s around to eat Porcello’s innings. He Had a decent start to the year last season then fell off

Edit: 1/6, club option is 6.25

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA

I imagine he’s around to eat Porcello’s innings. He Had a decent start to the year last season then fell off

I thought the plan was to save money this season. $6m for a guy you're just hoping eats innings?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I thought the plan was to save money this season. $6m for a guy you're just hoping eats innings?

It’s $4 mill less than what Porcello got for the same role

Perez is interesting. He came out the gate with increased velocity last year then lost it as the season went on. As that happened his performance declined. Maybe they’ve identified something where they can help him maintain that. Maybe they think that having a full season removed from injury would help him hold that velo more steadily. He’s pretty good at stifling loud contact. Getting 175 league average innings has a lot of value, hopefully they get that from him. If they aren’t in it then they can move him at the deadline

Something (a theory) I saw that was interesting was them getting down to about 215 for their budget to start the season when they need to get below 208. If they see that they aren’t going to contend they can easily maneuver underneath that threshold so they aren’t penalized. Plus putting out the perception that they are willing to spend a little bit of money and not go below the threshold gives them a little leverage when trying to dump contracts/money on other teams. Like “hey we aren’t desperate ha ha”

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Going from raw stats alone, this dude is trash. Waste of money.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Going from raw stats alone, this dude is trash. Waste of money.

Velo spike, K rate increase, first year implementing a cutter. I think they think there’s some upside, which is why they included the club option for next year. It was his first year throwing the cutter and he really took to it, wouldn’t shock me if they have him make that his primary pitch. It’s about 87-90 MPH but it’s got hard bite and some sink to it too

It’s a little too early to make the bolded claim, let’s at least wait until idk February or something

At the end of the day they needed to replace Porcello’s innings. Imo i think Perez is a better gamble at 6 than Porcello is at 10. Neither are super inspiring but they aren’t looking for a front of the rotation guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad