Prospect Info: 2020 HF-Panthers top prospects vote, #6

Who is the Panthers #6 ranked prospect?

• D - Brady Keeper (undrafted), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D - John Ludvig (2019, #69), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
2019 top 25 list

#1 G - Spencer Knight (2019, #13), Boston College (NCAA) - 41.5% of votes
#2 F - Owen Tippett (2017, #10), Florida Panthers (NHL) / Charlotte Checkers (AHL) - 66.7%
#3 F - Anton Lundell (2020, #12), HIFK (Liiga) - 66.7%
#4 F - Grigori Denisenko (2018, #15), Florida Panthers (NHL) / Charlotte Checkers (AHL) - 87.2%
#5 D - Riley Stillman (2016, #114), Florida Panthers (NHL) / Charlotte Checkers (AHL) - 23.1%

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Prospects included in the vote (25yo or under, and under contract or rights owned by the team) and left to be added:

F - Juho Lammikko (2014, #65), Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL)
F - Henry Bowlby (undrafted), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
F - Jonathan Ang (2016, #94), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
F - Rodrigo Abols (2016, #184), Örebro HK (SHL)
F - Patrick Bajkov (undrafted), Greenville Swamp Rabbits (ECHL)
F - Aleksi Heponiemi (2017, #40), MODO Hockey (HockeyAllsvenskan)
F - Justin Schütz (2018, #170), EC Salzburg (IceHL)
F - Cole Schwindt (2019, #81), Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)
F - Henrik Rybinski (2019, #136), Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
F - Owen Lindmark (2019, #137), Univ. of Wisconsin (NCAA)
F - Emil Heineman (2020, #43), Leksands IF (SHL)
F - Ty Smilanic (2020, #74), Quinnipiac Univ. (NCAA)
F - Justin Sourdif (2020, #87), Vancouver Giants (WHL)
F - Elliot Ekmark (2020, #198), Linköping HC (SHL)

D - Alec Rauhauser (undrafted), DVTK Jegesmedvék (Slovakia) / Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
D - Jake Massie (2015, #156), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
D - Chase Priskie (2016, #177), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
D - Tyler Inamoto (2017, #133), Univ. of Wisconsin (NCAA)
D - Cole Krygier (2018, #201), Michigan State Univ. (NCAA)
D - Santtu Kinnunen (2018, #207), Tappara (Liiga)
D - Carter Berger (2019, #106), Univ. of Connecticut (NCAA)
D - Michael Benning (2020, #95), Univ. of Denver (NCAA)
D - Zach Uens (2020, #105), Merrimack College (NCAA)
D - Kasper Puutio (2020, #153), Kärpät (Liiga)

G - Samuel Montembeault (2015, #77), Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
G - Ryan Bednard (2015, #206), Charlotte Checkers (AHL) / Greenville Swamp Rabbits (ECHL)
G - Devon Levi (2020, #212), Northeastern Univ. (NCAA) / Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL)

Remember to vote for the next prospect to be added by replying to this thread.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I don't normally comment on the vote before it's completed entirely, but idk what people are seeing in Stillman. He would've been closer to #15 rather than #5 on my list.
I think it's strange how people rated Knight's potential very high, but then in "tier-2" they rate Stillman's NHL experience really high. Make up your mind!

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't normally comment on the vote before it's completed entirely, but idk what people are seeing in Stillman. He would've been closer to #15 rather than #5 on my list.

15 is way too low even if one is not high on him. He's played alot of nhl games already and hasn't really looked out of place. At times he was our 2nd best d-man and best pk d-man. He had his highs and lows like any rookie, but you can see he has a good mind for the game and likes to get involved physically. He also moves the puck fairly well, even Q said this. Because of these qualities, he looks like pretty much a lock to me to be an nhl D. You cant really ask for much else from a bottom 3 D. We don't have any bluechip D prospects. They all have 2nd pairing ceilings, just like Stillman, so Stillman's season in the nhl weighs heavily for me. You could argue Koly has the ceiling of a high-end #3/low-end #2, but that's splitting hairs. I voted for Koly at #6, but we haven't even seen Koly in the ahl yet. His khl start is encouraging, but the bigger ice is still not the small.ice. None of our other top D prospects have even played in the ahl yet, aside from Keeper, who I would argue has a lower floor than Stillman.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
@Acadmus I was going to say that you seen Gildon play, but the name is black, so you must have deleted your account.

Aaand I just realized I'm talking to myself... :facepalm:

*Spoiler alert* His name is blue! So you're saying there's a chance?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Neither do I: I think people are putting a lot of weight on an okay rookie season and extrapolating forward. Part of it is a lack of exposure to our other D prospects: Koly didn’t play in the WJC and Priskie was just acquired

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
How is Borgstrom considered a prospect 2020 rankings but not in 2019?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Neither do I: I think people are putting a lot of weight on an okay rookie season and extrapolating forward. Part of it is a lack of exposure to our other D prospects: Koly didn’t play in the WJC and Priskie was just acquired

It speaks more to the poor quality of our D prospects. You can't tell me Koly or Priskie have significantly higher ceilings than Stiller. I've seen a lot of Koly, I suggested we pick him in the 2nd round on draft day 2 here over a year ago.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
15 is way too low even if one is not high on him. He's played alot of nhl games already and hasn't really looked out of place. At times he was our 2nd best d-man and best pk d-man. He had his highs and lows like any rookie, but you can see he has a good mind for the game and likes to get involved physically. He also moves the puck fairly well, even Q said this. Because of these qualities, he looks like pretty much a lock to me to be an nhl D. You cant really ask for much else from a bottom 3 D. We don't have any bluechip D prospects. They all have 2nd pairing ceilings, just like Stillman, so Stillman's season in the nhl weighs heavily for me. You could argue Koly has the ceiling of a high-end #3/low-end #2, but that's splitting hairs. I voted for Koly at #6, but we haven't even seen Koly in the ahl yet. His khl start is encouraging, but the bigger ice is still not the small.ice. None of our other top D prospects have even played in the ahl yet, aside from Keeper, who I would argue has a lower floor than Stillman.
When the team has guys like Matheson and Yandle playing top4 minutes, does that speak more about the team/other d-men or Stillman invidually when he looks good?

I just think the sample size is too small, and I don't see him as more than a bottom pairing guy at the NHL level.

How is Borgstrom considered a prospect 2020 rankings but not in 2019?
I've taken prospects off the vote every year, if it looks like they've "made it". For example McCann and Malgin weren't on the 2018 poll.

There was two reasons why I took Borg out. 1) he played 50 games in 2018-19, and 2) our at the time bad center depth made it look like it was inevitable that he'd avoid Springfield. Hand up for a sign of a mistake on my part.

Reactions: Cold Cat

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Speaking for myself: after several years of voting nearly pure upside, I'm being more conservative this year. If I see two guys with roughly the same "realistic upside", I'm going with the more established guy. If I were going pure upside, I'd definitely have Stillman behind Kolyachonok; this year, Stillman gets the edge because he's played some NHL games and looked okay at it.
That said the ranking can be deceptive - he's in my tier of roughly guys 5-12, but "5" is closer to 8 than to 4.

Voted Kolyachonok, add Schwindt.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I don’t get why cats get bothered about where players fall in these polls. It’s not like they mean anything. I always viewed it as something to past the time. Not something we need to print out and hand to Z, haha

-ghoste

Last edited:
Reactions: Dread Clawz

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I've seen Koly play live twice. Both times I definitely left the arena thinking there has to be more to his game.
He is a good skater. That is obvious. He's smooth around the ice, so fluently, especially north - south.
His decision-making was poor I thought. I saw him get beat on some one on ones. Sometimes he was very indecisive whether he should jump in the play or not.

He did have a pretty average-looking shot. Really good at the outlet pass.

Didn't really get a feel for his physical game when I saw him. Maybe his time playing over in Russia with men will do him some good, I sure hope so.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I don’t get why cats get bothered about where players fall in these polls. It’s not like they mean anything. I always viewed it as something to past the time. Not something we need to print out and hand to Z, haha

-ghoste

Yeah but it's fun to go back and forth, no? I don't think anyone's bothered per se. Just bandying about to pass the time!

Reactions: Cold Cat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad