Patriots/NFL 2020 - Football is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That’s awful. I know people make jokes about him due to that AFCCG but he honestly had a pretty decent season for us that year.

I think he’d been getting in trouble the last handful of years or so. Just another former football player experience erratic behavior post-career, mostly likely from trauma.

RIP reche

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I was just thinking this but I’m wondering if the Pats trade a late pick for John Ross at some point. He’s the kind of guy they always look at- former first round pick with the option declined. He could add an element that they don’t really have outside of guys who aren’t locks to make the roster (Byrd, Thomas).

he can’t really stay healthy but he’s shown he can be mighty explosive when he is. It would be a low risk, medium reward kind of move (if he performs well he probably prices himself out of NE)

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I was just thinking this but I’m wondering if the Pats trade a late pick for John Ross at some point. He’s the kind of guy they always look at- former first round pick with the option declined. He could add an element that they don’t really have outside of guys who aren’t locks to make the roster (Byrd, Thomas).

he can’t really stay healthy but he’s shown he can be mighty explosive when he is. It would be a low risk, medium reward kind of move (if he performs well he probably prices himself out of NE)

Ross looked like he was poised for a breakout year after a great first two weeks against Seattle and San Francisco. Then he had a couple mediocre weeks and was injured for half the season. I know the Patriots like to take chances on former 1st-round picks, but I don't know if he's their type of player. He's got an awful Catch% and his Drop rate is super high.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sony had a minor procedure on his foot

Not ideal when a RB keeps getting knee and foot surgeries. Glad we got that playoff run out of him

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Sony had a minor procedure on his foot

Not ideal when a RB keeps getting knee and foot surgeries. Glad we got that playoff run out of him
All these "minor" procedures are starting to add up,lucky for him Burkhead is frequently injured too

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I hope he get;s a bigger role this year.

They could do some interesting things with a 2 back set with him and White.

Me too, he seems to be the kind of no-nonsense runner Belichick likes. From what I read they want him to get better in pass protection but as long as he does that and holds on to the football I see him being successful here

Reactions: rfournier103

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Me too, he seems to be the kind of no-nonsense runner Belichick likes. From what I read they want him to get better in pass protection but as long as he does that and holds on to the football I see him being successful here
I will say, I'm a huge critic of McDaniels, as I think he get's too predictable at times. Now whether that was partially Brady as well remains to be seen.

That all being said, he definitely has a knack for coming up with some interesting concepts and formations.

I think with their RB depth, Asiasi, a hybrid type in Keene, and the potential to use Vitale as a Juszczyk-lite type FB, to go along with hopefully a much better top 3 WR in Edelman, Sanu, and Harry, you're going to see some funky shit from the offense this year.

As long as Stidham doesn't turn the ball over, I think they are going to surprise a lot of people.

Reactions: McGarnagle

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
....so the pats just signed Cam Newton

80C86865-CBCA-40D4-9C94-C033B9801971.jpeg

Patriots sign QB Cam Newton to one-year deal, per report - The Boston Globe

The Patriots have agreed to a one-year contract with quarterback Cam Newton, according to a report from ESPN.
The 31-year-old Newton, the first overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, was released this past March by the Panthers. Over the course of his career, the 2015 NFL MVP has completed 60 percent of his passes, for 29,041 yards, 182 touchdowns and 108 interceptions.
Newton, who arrives in New England just months after Tom Brady left for Tampa Bay as a free agent, will join a quarterback room that includes Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer.
This story will be updated.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Belichick playing chess once again.

Low risk deal with a recent MVP motivated to prove he's still that guy. Classic Bill move.

No matter what Newton won't be any worse than Brady last year

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
....so the pats just signed Cam Newton

Minimum deal with incentives. Absolutely makes sense to take a flyer on him.

He doesn't fit the classic Patriots QB model, but Belichick has spoken very highly of him in the past, so I'm surprised, but not that surprised. I think it's smart to take a "f*** it!" approach this year. Try out a bunch of stuff and see what happens.

Reactions: GabeTravels

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If he plays well he’ll get like $7 mill which isn’t much for a quality QB, if he doesn’t play well he won’t play and will make much less

If he doesn’t have running ability anymore then he won’t be playing imo. I just don’t see him being a better pocket passer than Stidham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad