2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I feel like a number of 2020 guys have started off pretty slow. I don't know if that's just me over estimating some kids but this class is underwhelming me this season. Plenty of time time change that though.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I feel like a number of 2020 guys have started off pretty slow. I don't know if that's just me over estimating some kids but this class is underwhelming me this season. Plenty of time time change that though.

Yeah, you're not the only one. Wanted most of these kids to step up in someway, but ultimately haven't outside of a few. I think there is still time, but also a small glimmer seeing the WJC is a couple weeks away. After the WJC, everything changes for the second half of the year.

This draft is starting to look like a bigger gamble....

Reactions: Mac n Gs and Trxjw

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
What's the deal with this Tim Stützle kid? Tankathon has him 9OA and listed as a LW/C/RW?

They also have Anton Lundell at 6OA and LW/C.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Anton Lundell will be a Ranger and the Twin Finns will lead us to the promised land.

Better yet, we also acquire Puljujarvi to go along with Lundell and Kakko, and the Finnish Line will lead us to the finish line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chytilmania

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
What's the deal with this Tim Stützle kid? Tankathon has him 9OA and listed as a LW/C/RW?

I was planning on catching a game in Mannheim. Should project as LW/C. He's arguably the best German player in the league at 17.

Personally I'd take Stützle over Lundell.

Reactions: jas

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016

I think I'd have Stutzle #3 and probably closer to #2 than #4.

I know the DEL isn't as good as the other European pro leagues, but I don't think people appreciate enough how impressive it is for a prospect to put up close to a point-per-game in a pro league. Pettersson did it in the Allsvenskan. Barkov, Granlund, and Kakko did it in Liiga. Matthews did it in the Swiss league. Sedin and Naslund did it in the SHL a long time ago. And I think that's it. Even the guys who did it in lesser leagues, like the DEL, turned into stars.

I think it's worth noting that Seider's adjustment from the DEL to the AHL reflects well on the strength of the DEL too.

There are sample size issues with the CHL, but the fact that Stutzle's outscored Laine and Kakko isn't meaningless either and his numbers in the junior German leagues are better than Draisatl's.

I think these videos from Daniel Gee give you a pretty good idea of his skill set.

He strikes me as an elite stickhandler, passer, and skater who has a huge motor and compete level and is capable of taking over shifts against men. I'd bet on him being a star in the NHL and would take him over everyone in the draft other than Lafreniere and Byfield as of now.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
What Centers in the draft would compete for a roster spot next year? And if Chytil continues to play well and Henriksson makes the jump, would Winger be better?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
What Centers in the draft would compete for a roster spot next year? And if Chytil continues to play well and Henriksson makes the jump, would Winger be better?
I think if they do draft a center, it won’t be for next year or maybe even the year after. If they do come away with a high end center, there’s much less pressure to give Zibanejad a huge contract through his 30’s

Reactions: Trxjw

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

henriksson will hopefully be in the SHL full time next year, I can't see him coming over yet.

we take the best forward, doesn't matter if he is a center or wing. also doesn't matter if he is ready next year or if it takes 3 years, get the best guy. draft is for the long term

Reactions: jas and Joey Bones

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I don't know if Stutzle is better than Lundell. Lundell has been a solid component in HIFK's lineup. If I'm not mistaken, he's had 7 points in the past 7 games....

They both are playing solid hockey!!

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I still think BPA all the way, no matter position. I do think center is something that needs addressing in the depth chart, though. With that said, Drysdale would put Staal out of commission.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Guys who play multiple positions with their parent clubs. Very good look at where each have their strengths!!

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I don't know if Stutzle is better than Lundell. Lundell has been a solid component in HIFK's lineup. If I'm not mistaken, he's had 7 points in the past 7 games....

They both are playing solid hockey!!
I like Lundell at #3 so far, but I’ll also admit that he’s one of my favorite players in this draft

Reactions: Joey Bones

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I think I'd have Stutzle #3 and probably closer to #2 than #4.

I know the DEL isn't as good as the other European pro leagues, but I don't think people appreciate enough how impressive it is for a prospect to put up close to a point-per-game in a pro league. Pettersson did it in the Allsvenskan. Barkov, Granlund, and Kakko did it in Liiga. Matthews did it in the Swiss league. Sedin and Naslund did it in the SHL a long time ago. And I think that's it. Even the guys who did it in lesser leagues, like the DEL, turned into stars.

I think it's worth noting that Seider's adjustment from the DEL to the AHL reflects well on the strength of the DEL too.

There are sample size issues with the CHL, but the fact that Stutzle's outscored Laine and Kakko isn't meaningless either and his numbers in the junior German leagues are better than Draisatl's.

I think these videos from Daniel Gee give you a pretty good idea of his skill set.

He strikes me as an elite stickhandler, passer, and skater who has a huge motor and compete level and is capable of taking over shifts against men. I'd bet on him being a star in the NHL and would take him over everyone in the draft other than Lafreniere and Byfield as of now.
Wow, thanks. Great hands and vision; Quick, crafty skating. Reminds me of Pettersson but a little more explosive.

I was just curiously looking at Tankathon’s Big Board to see what centers will be available in the 5-10 range, that’s why I asked.

What about Perfetti, Lapierre, Rossi? If the BPA is a D, do the Rangers take the D, or the next highest F?

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Very little. Maybe Byfield. Maybe. As solid as Lundell's two way game is, he is not ready for the NHL next year. Or so I believe.

Last edited:

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
But we shall see as the season unfolds if anything changes. But I do expect Lundell to go higher than Stützle.

He was always ranked higher than Stützle throughout the past, bascially top 5-6 so far. Haven't looked at Lundell's play much, except when watching him with Kakko.
Never struck me as a flashy guy in any sense, but he was always where he had to be, and usually made the play, there was to make.

I don't know why, but he gives me a "finnish Lias Andersson" vibe*

*that is to say, he will be drafted way higher than he should have been.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He was always ranked higher than Stützle throughout the past, bascially top 5-6 so far. Haven't looked at Lundell's play much, except when watching him with Kakko.
We will all be debating Lundell this year. The second this board reads "High floor", "200 foot game", "not flashy", the pitchforks will come out.

I view him to be a very solid future 2C, two way player. But he will take some time getting there. He could well be the third line center for a few years first as well.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I don’t know about the slow start chatter here on 2020. The following players are off to blazing starts:

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Lundell
Rossi
Zary
Askarov

The Swedish forwards haven’t quite taken off but they haven’t disappointed either. This is partially due to limited SHL opportunity and ice time.

Perfetti and Drysdale have been fine as well.

From what I’ve seen, none of the top names are severely underperforming.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Never struck me as a flashy guy in any sense, but he was always where he had to be, and usually made the play, there was to make.

I don't know why, but he gives me a "finnish Lias Andersson" vibe*

*that is to say, he will be drafted way higher than he should have been.

Lundell is a better player than that, IMO....

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I don’t know about the slow start chatter here on 2020. The following players are off to blazing starts:

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Lundell
Rossi
Zary
Askarov

The Swedish forwards haven’t quite taken off but they haven’t disappointed either. This is partially due to limited SHL opportunity and ice time.

Raymond has vastly underperformed & Holtz has been okay. Was expecting more out of Perfetti. Lapierre & Barron have gone in the opposite direction.

I mean, yeah, seven guys are doing great, but the rest have been pretty blah....

And to be fair, Zary wasn’t considered to be in the top 10. He’s now rising, but originally wasn’t regarded as such in the beginning. Same argument could be said about Stutzle, too, but I think most on here thought he had the capability.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Lafreniere
Byfield
Stutzle
Lundell
Rossi
Zary
Askarov

I don't know if slow start is the right description.

I think a lot of guys have been good, even very good. I don't know if I've necessarily found as many guys surprising me as I expected --- at least not yet.

For the last several years, 2020 has been hyped as a draft with some real higher-end talent. Right now, I'm not quite sure it matches that projection. I think it will produce some very good NHL players. I'm just not sure it's ceiling necessarily compares favorably to 2018 or 2019. At least not to the extent it was expected to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad