Draft 2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like Newhook too but Filip's been playing some headier competition for a while. Newhook is a very talented player but I'm not sure he's as talented as Filip--maybe but Filip has one thing that Newhook doesn't have and that's raw power. It's one of the things with Mika he can beat you with finesse but he can also run over the top of or bull his way through a defense. I like that dynamic in a player and really Chytil is more like Mika or Kreider than Buchnevich, Fast or Strome who are more likely to bounce off of than go through. A good team takes all sorts of players and characters but to have something extra is better than to have not.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I like Newhook too but Filip's been playing some headier competition for a while. Newhook is a very talented player but I'm not sure he's as talented as Filip--maybe but Filip has one thing that Newhook doesn't have and that's raw power. It's one of the things with Mika he can beat you with finesse but he can also run over the top of or bull his way through a defense. I like that dynamic in a player and really Chytil is more like Mika or Kreider than Buchnevich, Fast or Strome who are more likely to bounce off of than go through. A good team takes all sorts of players and characters but to have something extra is better than to have not.

Chytil is a manchild. If he figures it out, he's going to be a beast. I'm willing to be patient with him.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Chytil is a manchild. If he figures it out, he's going to be a beast. I'm willing to be patient with him.
And those menchildren usually take longer than fans would like to get there. Thankfully there's never even been a slight inclination that Chytil isn't already doing or willing to put in the work it'll take him to get there

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
btw Aug 15 is almost here, unsigned drafted NCAA guys with exhausted eligibilty become UFA
See below

With Day, Gross cut loose, Rykov and maybe Reunanen loaning to Europe, maybe NYR sign a LHD? Or a RHD, w only LoVerde, Guitarri and RFA Raddysh on right for 'Pack?

Arizona
D - Dean Stewart|Nebraska-Omaha|2016|#188

Boston
D - Cameron Clarke|Ferris State|2016|#136|Signed by Wichita (ECHL)

Carolina
F - Matt Filipe|Northeastern|2016|#67
D - Luke Martin|U. of Michigan|2017|#52
F - Luke Stevens|Yale|2015|#126
F - Max Zimmer|Wisconsin|2016|#104

Chicago
D - Ryan Shea|Northeastern|2015|#121

Colorado
F - Cameron Morrison|Notre Dame|2016|#40
F - Denis Smirnov|Pennsylvania|2017|#156

Columbus
F - Carson Mayer|Ohio State|2017|#179

Edmonton
F - Graham McPhee|Boston College|2016|#149

Florida
F - Karch Bachman|Miami-Ohio|2015|#132
F - Miguel Fidler|Ohio State|2014|#143
D - Benjamin Finkelstein|Boston College|2016|#195
F - Patrick Shea|Maine|2015|#192

New York Islanders
F - Nick Pastujov|U. of Michigan|2016|#193

Ottawa
F - Christopher Wilkie|Colorado College|2015|#162

Pittsburgh
F - Nikita Pavlychev|Penn State|2015|#197
D - Ryan Jones|Nebraska-Omaha|2016|#121

San Jose
D - Karlis Cukste|Quinnipiac|2015|#130

Tampa Bay
D - Ryan Zuhlsdorf|U. of Minnesota|2015|#150

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
btw Aug 15 is almost here, unsigned drafted NCAA guys with exhausted eligibilty become UFA
See below

With Day, Gross cut loose, Rykov and maybe Reunanen loaning to Europe, maybe NYR sign a LHD? Or a RHD, w only LoVerde, Guitarri and RFA Raddysh on right for 'Pack?

Smirnov with Colorado was a kid I had decent hopes for back in the day. But man did the wheels fall off his college career. He went from the centerpiece in Penn State's offense to a side thought.

His teammate, Pavlychev is another kid who never quite put it all together after showing some promise. But he is MASSIVE.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
So I saw this video elsewhere here, but I couldn't find the thread it was in, so I'm reposting to discuss:

This guy says Lafreniere is a center eventually.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Laf's Agent Emilie Castonguay, first woman to represent a #1 pick:

DSC02909-21-1024x683.jpg

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So I saw this video elsewhere here, but I couldn't find the thread it was in, so I'm reposting to discuss:

This guy says Lafreniere is a center eventually.

He could be. His entire skill set is suited for the position and he'll get some reps there eventually (We saw this a bit with Kane a few years ago and with MSL when Stepan was out injured)

He prefers playing on the wing though so thats where he should play. Maybe that changes down the line, but for now I'd just leave him be and let him do his thing where ever hes most comfortable.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Late to the Chytil conversation but I feel like he’s the second best forward prospect in the organization behind Kakko. So why would they move him?

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Chytil has not been impressive at center. I don't see him as a center at this point. His faceoffs are atrocious and he didn't improve this season. Let him play wing. I'd rather put Barron in the middle and let him figure it out.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah but again that Ottawa trade was for end of his prime Brassard. What’s being proposed here is for another player with just as much unrealized potential as Chytil.

That trade worked out really well for Ottawa and I am not even being sarcastic. Brassard, a proven play off performer at the time, was added to a team that was at its peak. Karlsson, Hoffman and Stone are now all gone, but that core, with Brassard added, was 1 goal away from reaching the Stanley Cup final in 2017

Reactions: Speedtrials

426ers

Jun 21, 2020
Who do we think the Rangers will take with their second 1st round pick (assuming they don't trade it away in a deal)? Do they take Gunler, Bisson, Greig, etc.. or do they go for defense and if yes, who do they draft. Do we think that second first round pick could be an impact player for us?

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
That trade worked out really well for Ottawa and I am not even being sarcastic. Brassard, a proven play off performer at the time, was added to a team that was at its peak. Karlsson, Hoffman and Stone are now all gone, but that core, with Brassard added, was 1 goal away from reaching the Stanley Cup final in 2017
That pick was an absolute nightmare for Ottawa.

Zibanejad put up a higher PPG the year immediately following the trade in both the regular season and playoffs than Brassard. In 2014-15 Zibanejad put up 9pts in 12 playoff games (37 pts in 56 regular season games) while Brassard put up 11pts in 19 playoff games (39 pts in 81 regula season games).

Brassard was with Ottawa for 2 years and a single playoff run. Ottawa essentially acquired a playoff rental by trading away someone who outperformed the rental in the short-term and to make matters far worse, who developed into a true 1C who is one of the league's best goal scorers at the moment.

That's brutal asset management. They could have got similar production from a deadline rental without trading away a player who became a franchise center.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Who do we think the Rangers will take with their second 1st round pick (assuming they don't trade it away in a deal)? Do they take Gunler, Bisson, Greig, etc.. or do they go for defense and if yes, who do they draft. Do we think that second first round pick could be an impact player for us?

All options are on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad