2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If our second pick is around 22 and we stay there some of the names that seem interesting to me (and it's dependent on Mercer, Jarvis, Zary, Gunler being off the board) would be Peterka, Khusnutdinov, Nybeck, Mysak with some consideration to Bourque or Ponomaryov.

Reactions: Jackson Ranger

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not to pick on Howden because I'm alright with what he's doing but he's not all that tough. Neither is Ryan Gropp for that matter----but a lot of kids that come out of the WHL are pretty hard nosed so if I could pick a CHL league to concentrate on that would be the one.
I actually think Howden was starting to assimilate to the NHL in the second half of this season. As you mentioned before, he needs to get stronger but when he started with the Rangers, he was very tentative and was easy to move off of the puck. I think now, he is more assertive and is looking to get the puck and go with it. I agree, he will never be a top 6 player but I can see him developing into a very reliable 4th line C with some offense. I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

Reactions: eco's bones

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
If our second pick is around 22 and we stay there some of the names that seem interesting to me (and it's dependent on Mercer, Jarvis, Zary, Gunler being off the board) would be Peterka, Khusnutdinov, Nybeck, Mysak with some consideration to Bourque or Ponomaryov.

STAY AWAY!!

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Okay, I decided to do a mock off of the draft simulator. Lottery came out with the Kings winning the No. 1 pick, then the Red Wings at No. 2 and the Jets winning No. 3. The 1st round fell as follows....

1. LAK - LW: Alexis Lafreniere
2. DET - C: Quinton Byfield
3. WIN - C: Tim Stutzle
4. OTT - D: Jamie Drysdale
5. OTT (via SJS) - C: Marco Rossi
6. ANA - LW/RW: Alexander Holtz
7. NJD - C/LW: Cole Perfetti
8. BUF - C/LW: Lucas Raymond
9. MON - G: Yaroslav Askarov
10. CHI - RW: Jack Quinn
11. NJD (via ARI) - C: Dylan Holloway
12. MIN - C: Connor Zary
13. CAL - D: Jake Sanderson
14. NYR - C: Anton Lundell
15. NJD (via VAN from TBL) - RW: Dawson Mercer *This pick might be the Canucks depending on the round robin*
16. NAS - RW: J.J. Peterka
17. FLO - C: Hendrix Lapierre
18. CBJ - LW: Rodion Amirov
19. CAR - C/LW: Jan Mysak
20. EDM - D: Kaiden Guhle
21. OTT (via NYI) - D: Lukas Cormier
22. NYR (via CAR) - C/RW: Seth Jarvis
23. MIN (via PIT) - LW/RW: Noel Gunler *This pick might be the Penguins depending on the round robin*
24. DAL - D: Braden Schneider
25. VGK - D: Emil Andrae
26. PHI - C: Jacob Perreault
27. WSH - LW: Martin Chromiak
28. SJS (via TBL) -D: Jeremie Poirier
29. COL - C: Mavrik Bourque
30. STL - C: Thomas Bordeleau
31. ANA (via BOS) - LW/RW: Zion Nybeck

Here is the rest of the draft for the Rangers class....

1 (14) C: Anton Lundell (FIN)(6'1"/187lbs., Shot: Left, HIFK/Liiga)
1 (22) C/RW: Seth Jarvis (CAN)(5'10"/172lbs., Shot: Right, Portland/WHL)
3 (76) C/RW: Ozzy Weisblatt (CAN)(5'10"/183lbs., Shot: Right, Prince Albert/WHL)
3 (86) LW: Emil Heineman (SWE)(6'1"/185lbs., Shot: Left, Leksands J20/SuperElit)
4 (107) D: Thimo Nickl (AUS)(6'3"/187lbs., Shot: Right, Drummondville/QMJHL)
5 (138) RW: Alex Laferriere (USA)(5'11"/172lbs., Shot: Right, Des Moines/USHL) *21/22 Harvard Commit*
6 (169) D: Samuel Johannesson (SWE)(5'11"/176bs., Shot: Right, Rogle/SHL) *Overage +1*
7 (200) C: Gage Goncalves (CAN)(6'1"/170lbs. Shot: Left, Everett/WHL) *Overage +1*
7 (201) G: Devon Levi (CAN)(6'0"/183lbs., Catches: Left, Carleton Place/CCHL) *20/21 Northeastern Commit*
7 (202) RW: Yegor Chinakhov (RUS)(5'11"/179lbs., Shot: Left, Omskie/MHL)

At No. 14, I was thinking Holloway was the best option given the projections. As the players fell and Holloway going to NJ at No. 12, I was more than thrilled to come away with Lundell. At No. 22, it was tough picking between Jarvis, Reichel and Gunler. I went with Jarvis because I feel strongly that he will become a playmaking behemoth in the mold of Marner. To me, that potential is too high to pass up. At No. 76, I was kind of annoyed that Eamon Powell went the pick before, but was happy with picking Weisblatt as a fallback. A bit of a gamble, but he was a falling talent that has Konecny-like qualities to his game. I like the value behind it and it gives offensive depth for the center and/or wing position. Heineman has good two-way qualities to his game and was given a handful of games in the SHL to commemorate his strong play. I could see him as a solid, coachable option for bottom-6 depth in the NHL. Thought the forward list, based on the projections, was dwindling and it was time for a defender so I went with Nickl here. Was debating him and Kaiser, but figured I wanted more international tournament experience over prep school. Nickl has strong two-way capabilities and a top-4 potential. Thought that was an interesting gamble in the 4th round. In the 5th, Laferriere was a good talent that can let develop in college. He grinds, scores and is going to a great program at Harvard. In the 6th, there were a lot of options, but decided to shoot for another gamble in Johannesson. An overager by one season, he grew from splitting time with the SuperElit and Division 1 last year to a regular role in the SHL. Think he is another who could develop a top-4, two-way game however I feel he's more defensive than Nickl. More depth in the system, otherwise. With the first of three 7ths, I had to go with Goncalves. I remember liking him last year seeing that honing his game could drastically increase his scoring ability. And it showed this year. He's a boom/bust pick that also provides much needed center depth in the system. Went with one of the more underrated keepers with the next pick in Levi. Really like what he does. Sound and agile, he's a top crease saver and is aggressive on the scramble. He needs to work on his lateral movement a bit, but looks very similar to Georgiev. Think that going to Northeastern all four years is key for his development and continues the great depth at the goalie position. I was weary picking a player out of the MHL, but Chinakhov looked to be a leader for Omskie and showed with a promotion to the VHL. Figured he'd be another boom/bust to keep an eye on.

Thoughts?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Well I really think a few of the others will be there. Besides he's a Quebec leaguer and we're not likely taking one of them early.

What's the issue with Bourque.

Complete lack of a defensive game and is not fast, especially for a smaller player. Most of his points came from the PP, too. His play is very "juniors" and I think he's overrated based on what I've seen.

Reactions: eco's bones

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Okay, I decided to do a mock off of the draft simulator. Lottery came out with the Kings winning the No. 1 pick, then the Red Wings at No. 2 and the Jets winning No. 3. The 1st round fell as follows....

15. NJD (via VAN from TBL) - RW: Dawson Mercer *This pick might be the Canucks depending on the round robin*
23. MIN (via PIT) - LW/RW: Noel Gunler *This pick might be the Penguins depending on the round robin*

3 (76) C/RW: Ozzy Weisblatt (CAN)(5'10"/183lbs., Shot: Right, Prince Albert/WHL)
3 (86) LW: Emil Heineman (SWE)(6'1"/185lbs., Shot: Left, Leksands J20/SuperElit)
5 (138) RW: Alex Laferriere (USA)(5'11"/172lbs., Shot: Right, Des Moines/USHL) *21/22 Harvard Commit*
6 (169) D: Samuel Johannesson (SWE)(5'11"/176bs., Shot: Right, Rogle/SHL) *Overage +1*
7 (200) C: Gage Goncalves (CAN)(6'1"/170lbs. Shot: Left, Everett/WHL) *Overage +1*
7 (201) G: Devon Levi (CAN)(6'0"/183lbs., Catches: Left, Carleton Place/CCHL) *20/21 Northeastern Commit*

At No. 14, I was thinking Holloway was the best option given the projections. As the players fell and Holloway going to NJ at No. 12, I was more than thrilled to come away with Lundell. At No. 22, it was tough picking between Jarvis, Reichel and Gunler. I went with Jarvis because I feel strongly that he will become a playmaking behemoth in the mold of Marner. To me, that potential is too high to pass up. At No. 76, I was kind of annoyed that Eamon Powell went the pick before, but was happy with picking Weisblatt as a fallback. A bit of a gamble, but he was a falling talent that has Konecny-like qualities to his game. I like the value behind it and it gives offensive depth for the center and/or wing position. Heineman has good two-way qualities to his game and was given a handful of games in the SHL to commemorate his strong play. I could see him as a solid, coachable option for bottom-6 depth in the NHL. Thought the forward list, based on the projections, was dwindling and it was time for a defender so I went with Nickl here. Was debating him and Kaiser, but figured I wanted more international tournament experience over prep school. Nickl has strong two-way capabilities and a top-4 potential. Thought that was an interesting gamble in the 4th round. In the 5th, Laferriere was a good talent that can let develop in college. He grinds, scores and is going to a great program at Harvard. In the 6th, there were a lot of options, but decided to shoot for another gamble in Johannesson. An overager by one season, he grew from splitting time with the SuperElit and Division 1 last year to a regular role in the SHL. Think he is another who could develop a top-4, two-way game however I feel he's more defensive than Nickl. More depth in the system, otherwise. With the first of three 7ths, I had to go with Goncalves. I remember liking him last year seeing that honing his game could drastically increase his scoring ability. And it showed this year. He's a boom/bust pick that also provides much needed center depth in the system. Went with one of the more underrated keepers with the next pick in Levi. Really like what he does. Sound and agile, he's a top crease saver and is aggressive on the scramble. He needs to work on his lateral movement a bit, but looks very similar to Georgiev. Think that going to Northeastern all four years is key for his development and continues the great depth at the goalie position. I was weary picking a player out of the MHL, but Chinakhov looked to be a leader for Omskie and showed with a promotion to the VHL. Figured he'd be another boom/bust to keep an eye on.

Thoughts?
Goncalves: too skinny to project him succeeding even at the AHL level, the production isn’t good enough for even a draft year player, let alone for a passover.
Johansson: just a guy. The height doesn’t even bother me, but just a guy.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Goncalves: too skinny to project him succeeding even at the AHL level, the production isn’t good enough for even a draft year player, let alone for a passover.
Johansson: just a guy. The height doesn’t even bother me, but just a guy.

Disagree on Goncalves. A 7th rounder is never going to break a draft class. It can only make it better if they pan out. So in that line of thinking, Goncalves is a solid option here. I'm not thinking so much his body strength right now at 19 years old, but I'm looking at the fact he had 15 points last year to 71 points this year (33 goals and 38 assists) in the WHL. A complete 180 offensively!! Confidence boost, maybe? He was a leader on a bleh Everett team and showed a ton of skill. Yes, he needs to bulk up and hone his skating a bit, but at this position in the draft, it's a no brainer to take a deeper look into his development.

I don't understand your "just a guy" assessment with Johannesson. Care to elaborate?

Also, were there any bright spots in that draft class?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Usually by the time the 4th/5th rounds come around it's kind of a crap shoot. There are guys though still who made considerable progress that year still available. But really you're left making kind of educated guesses. IMO expecting you're going to hit a home run grabbing a major talent is expecting too much. I think among the things I would look for are skating, some size (5'9 and up), character in terms of guys who are willing to grind and take the body, who will accept unappreciated roles and run with them and who are always willing to defend their teammates, and who have at least a good skillset of tools. Any year you can come away with just one good 3rd liner or a 5D out of the bottom end of your draft you've done pretty well.

Reactions: Joey Bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Thoughts?

All I can say is I do hope someone takes Lapierre early (and not us) not because he's terrible but because he has a concussion history I'd rather we stay away from--and that drops someone like Jarvis into our laps with our second 1st rounder. I have an idea that Jarvis isn't going to be on board when that second 1st happens. There's even some chance that neither Lundell or Holloway will be around for our first pick--so Quinn, Mercer, Raymond maybe even Sanderson might end up being that guy. Do you take Sanderson if it's just forward after forward after forward and maybe Mercer and Zary are the best forwards left? I think so because if someone's clearly the best player left you take him---but that also leads us to Askarov--what if no one takes him and he's still there at 22? and you know Allaire could do wonders with him.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Decided to do another one today. I reached the point now where, if Gunler and Jarvis are gone at 22, I trade down to the last first to pick a guy like Nybeck and add an early 2nd rounder. But, Gunler is available this time.

Stranges and Tuch in the 3rd with Laferriere in the 4th before adding some 2nd/3rd year eligible players who, in my opinion, have developed nicely and have already taken that step you hope an 18 year old in those later rounds to make. Better to go for the kids who already have taken that step at age 18/19.

Thoughts?

upload_2020-6-6_13-56-33.png

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Decided to do another one today. I reached the point now where, if Gunler and Jarvis are gone at 22, I trade down to the last first to pick a guy like Nybeck and add an early 2nd rounder. But, Gunler is available this time.

Stranges and Tuch in the 3rd with Laferriere in the 4th before adding some 2nd/3rd year eligible players who, in my opinion, have developed nicely and have already taken that step you hope an 18 year old in those later rounds to make. Better to go for the kids who already have taken that step at age 18/19.

Thoughts?

View attachment 349006

Ivan Ivan...it has to be.

Reactions: egelband

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
That reminds me of the episode from The League where Ruxin drafts Cameron Jordan instead of Jordan Cameron :laugh:

Speaking of, I'm still amazed the Dallas Stars have both Stephen Johns and John Stevens on te payroll

And Harley Thomas and Thomas Harley

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Disagree on Goncalves. A 7th rounder is never going to break a draft class. It can only make it better if they pan out. So in that line of thinking, Goncalves is a solid option here. I'm not thinking so much his body strength right now at 19 years old, but I'm looking at the fact he had 15 points last year to 71 points this year (33 goals and 38 assists) in the WHL. A complete 180 offensively!! Confidence boost, maybe? He was a leader on a bleh Everett team and showed a ton of skill. Yes, he needs to bulk up and hone his skating a bit, but at this position in the draft, it's a no brainer to take a deeper look into his development.

I don't understand your "just a guy" assessment with Johannesson. Care to elaborate?

Also, were there any bright spots in that draft class?
Deeper development? At 17 was playing at minor midget. Couldn’t get top 6 minutes at 18 on a roster of guys who have done nothing since they stepped into the A.

Using a 7th on a CHL 2nd timer is a waste of resources.
I saw a lot of Johannesson while watching Rögle because of Edstrom. Never jumped out, hence just a guy.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
@Joey Bones Didn't want to quote the mock- but that would be an all-time heist draft, especially if the 3rds work out a few years down the line. The up-side is there.

Appreciate it, man!!

Yeah, I really liked how the 3rd round played out, despite not having the chance for Powell to be there. Think Heineman will be a safer bet than Weisblatt, but if Weisblatt develops as projected, he would be an incredible asset. I really liked the fact Lundell fell, too, AND was able to have the chance at either Jarvis, Reichel or Gunler later on in the 1st.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
All I can say is I do hope someone takes Lapierre early (and not us) not because he's terrible but because he has a concussion history I'd rather we stay away from--and that drops someone like Jarvis into our laps with our second 1st rounder. I have an idea that Jarvis isn't going to be on board when that second 1st happens. There's even some chance that neither Lundell or Holloway will be around for our first pick--so Quinn, Mercer, Raymond maybe even Sanderson might end up being that guy. Do you take Sanderson if it's just forward after forward after forward and maybe Mercer and Zary are the best forwards left? I think so because if someone's clearly the best player left you take him---but that also leads us to Askarov--what if no one takes him and he's still there at 22? and you know Allaire could do wonders with him.

Yeah, I agree with you on Lapierre. Not only does he have concussion/spine issues, but he doesn't help his case during games to avoid injury. Really likes to skate with his head down. Not to mention, too, that his skill is very juniors like. I don't know how he'll translate to the NHL, ATM. I honestly do think he'll fall on draft day, maybe even out of the 1st round.

Won't lie, when I was watching the 1st round play out, I was leaning on a decision between Sanderson and Lundell. When I saw Sanderson go the pick before, Lundell fell right in my lap and was a no brainer. It's tough to gauge who will fall and rise due to the season ceasing in mid-March. Will be fun to see how teams factor in their draft lists without a combine and CHL/NCAA post season.

As for Askarov, that's looking for a lot of hate from Ranger fans, lolol. Askarov is a helluva keeper, but the Rangers have no need for him unless they feel their goalie depth could use his skillset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad