Prospect Info: 2020 Draft - 1st Pick: Dylan Holloway | SIGNED! ELC Starts 2021-2022 Season | Signs ATO With Bako!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Holloway with two assists. He has been a dominant force in the 2nd. Stole a puck then was stoned on a breakaway, been driving play in the offensive zone every shift, made a beauty pass to Caufield no the PP that almost resulted in a goal then got the primary assist on the end of the PP.
Also, in the 1st, he jumped some guy who punched his teammate. Love seeing that from him.

Edit: and almost scored on his last shift. I hope somebody puts up a shift by shift video, it's a treat to watch.
And Caufield just scored. The Holloway/Caufield duo has to be the best in college hockey.

I have a friend on twitter who does shift by shift videos for Oiler prospects. If he tweets the one for this game, I'll post it here

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
I have a fear. It is not a nice feeling.

If Holland wants to make a trade, this guy is the one where all talking will start.

DH will absolutely have top6 upside and floor is 3rd line LW or 4C.

His ways of working are there, near the top notch, to continue developing properly.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I have a fear. It is not a nice feeling.

If Holland wants to make a trade, this guy is the one where all talking will start.

DH will absolutely have top6 upside and floor is 3rd line LW or 4C.

His ways of working are there, near the top notch, to continue developing properly.

I wouldn’t be too worried about that, don’t see Holland moving Holloway unless it’s a huge overpay

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
If Nurse keeps this up, I think that #1 D piece will be solved internally.

Idk what a #1 D is to people but producing at a 30 point pace over an 82 game schedule + logging tons of minutes + being very sound defensively + being able to play all situations qualifies as one to me.

I don't think you need to produce 50+ points to be considered a #1 D. 40 points is great, 30 is the minimum to me.

Reactions: Oilhawks

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
So if Holloway keeps this up and joins the Oilers.
I project this as a top 6 line up going into the playoffs.

Holloway/nuge - McDavid - pulju
Nuge/Holloway - drai - yams

I think the move is to transition Holloway to the AHL. But if they decide to throw him in quarantine for a couple weeks I'd think the plan would be to throw him on the 3rd line to start with.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I don't see why we would want to rush a 19 year old into the NHL. He's a very good prospect, but we don't usually see a mid-1st round player stick in the league right after being drafted. No matter how well he's playing at Wisconsin, the leap up to the NHL is absolutely massive, and he hasn't even played minor-pro yet. Let this season play out, and see if he earns a spot on the team in October. I do have high hopes for him as a future top-6 winger though.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I don't see why we would want to rush a 19 year old into the NHL. He's a very good prospect, but we don't usually see a mid-1st round player stick in the league right after being drafted. No matter how well he's playing at Wisconsin, the leap up to the NHL is absolutely massive, and he hasn't even played minor-pro yet. Let this season play out, and see if he earns a spot on the team in October. I do have high hopes for him as a future top-6 winger though.

Holloway will prove everyone wrong.

Hopefully.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Three years ago I would have agreed with this take.

However, based on Ken Holland's reputation and also on observing what he has done with Oilers prospects in his time here as GM, I trust that he and the coaching staff will make the right decision on what is best for both the Oilers and for Holloway.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
This kid continues to impress. I was upset on draft day, not because we took Holloway, but because we missed out on Askarov, Lundell and Jarvis. I was dead set on one of those three slipping to us, and we got teased with them goin 11, 12, 13. I'd still take all three over Holloway, but I'm so much happier with the pick today, and that gap isn't too big anymore. Only Lundell is clearly a better option at this point.

I think he could be a more "in control" checking line version of Evander Kane. Evander Kane if he was a two way, forechecking demon.

I think he's a wicked good option for this team going forward.

Holland deserves major credit for this pick!

Reactions: B33K33PING

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Three years ago I would have agreed with this take.

However, based on Ken Holland's reputation and also on observing what he has done with Oilers prospects in his time here as GM, I trust that he and the coaching staff will make the right decision on what is best for both the Oilers and for Holloway.

I always thought that Holland's M.O. was letting the prospects "over-ripen", as in keeping them out of the NHL longer rather than pushing them onto the team immediately.

And there's a consideration too about balancing what is best for the player long-term vs what is best for the organization short-term. Holloway might be better than a lot of what we already have on the roster, but we also want to make sure that he develops in a way that makes good on his potential, without having him cut corners just to be able to tread water in the league as a teenager.

Reactions: nafrelio

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I always thought that Holland's M.O. was letting the prospects "over-ripen", as in keeping them out of the NHL longer rather than pushing them onto the team immediately.

And there's a consideration too about balancing what is best for the player long-term vs what is best for the organization short-term. Holloway might be better than a lot of what we already have on the roster, but we also want to make sure that he develops in a way that makes good on his potential, without having him cut corners just to be able to tread water in the league as a teenager.

It's not the same for everyone though. O'Reilly and Bergeron are two similarly strong defensive players who unexpectedly made the NHL in their draft season. It happens. Some guys can make the NHL as a checker or depth player and flourish, especially power forward types. If he can physically and intellectually keep up I don't think if it's a foregone conclusion that he couldn't make an impact in the NHL and develop best there too. I suspect the Oilers having little choice will opt to have him start in Bakersfield, but if he excels all bets are off as the team is gunning for a Cup.

Reactions: Porkleaker

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
It's not the same for everyone though. O'Reilly and Bergeron are two similarly strong defensive players who unexpectedly made the NHL in their draft season. It happens. Some guys can make the NHL as a checker or depth player and flourish, especially power forward types. If he can physically and intellectually keep up I don't think if it's a foregone conclusion that he couldn't make an impact in the NHL and develop best there too. I suspect the Oilers having little choice will opt to have him start in Bakersfield, but if he excels all bets are off as the team is gunning for a Cup.

Yeah, definitely not the same path for every player, I agree with that. I'll happily eat crow if he sticks on the team in the spring. I just don't want to get my hopes up and pencil an unproven player into our top 6 so early. The "safe money" bet would be that he isn't quite ready, but I'll give Holland the benefit of the doubt here with whatever his evaluations tell him.

Reactions: Samus44 and TB12

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, definitely not the same path for every player, I agree with that. I'll happily eat crow if he sticks on the team in the spring. I just don't want to get my hopes up and pencil an unproven player into our top 6 so early. The "safe money" bet would be that he isn't quite ready, but I'll give Holland the benefit of the doubt here with whatever his evaluations tell him.
Doesn't need to start in the top 6. He could start as 3C if he's ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad